Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 range toy opinions needed

aandabooks

Thinking about 1 of these 3 as a range toy to scratch my .45 itch.  I know there is a wide difference in prices.  I had the Witness in a compact .40 but never really shot it.  Trigger was pretty stout but came down quite a bit with a simple hammer spring swap.  Should I rule any of these out for sure?

https://grabagun.com/eaa-wit-match-45acp-10rd-4-75-dt-stl.html

https://grabagun.com/eaa-wit-45acp-10rd-4-5-stl-wf.html

https://grabagun.com/eaa-wit-hntr-45acp-6-10rd-bl.html

The hunter is the top notch choice. Period. End of story.

A limited would be under it.

The match next.

I would rule out the std witness for a range toy. It's just not in the same class as the others.

The Limited is another $150 above a Hunter.  I'm tired of buying/selling and not shooting 1911s so I figure I would give a Tanfo a try.  The only other gun I might want in this type of gun would be a CZ 97B.  Price on the CZ is close to the Match.

When i said "under" i meant as an optimal range toy. The hunter IS a limited with long slide/barrel. The fact it costs less... a bonus!

If i was buying a 45acp to have all my buddies marvelling at me hitting the 100 yd gong at will .... it would be the hunter.

I have been trying to talk myself into trying a Hunter. But in 10mm. 

The tuning at the factory, competition frame, and of course SA trigger all make this a potentially great range gun. 

I have a Match with 9 and 10mm slides. It is very accurate and a sweet shooter. 

The standard Witness is a step down. I purchased a 9mm/22LR combo. Came with a different slide stop spring to allow lock back on an empty mag with the 22LR. 

When shooting both the Standard and Match with 9mm it was not a contest. The  SA trigger, longer barrel, and better sights on the Match made the 100.00 price difference a no brainer.

The Match used to be priced 100.00 more than a standard Witness. Think mine was 580.00 from Oakhill.

6 hours ago, Endall said:

I have been trying to talk myself into trying a Hunter. But in 10mm. 

The tuning at the factory, competition frame, and of course SA trigger all make this a potentially great range gun. 

I have a Match with 9 and 10mm slides. It is very accurate and a sweet shooter. 

The standard Witness is a step down. I purchased a 9mm/22LR combo. Came with a different slide stop spring to allow lock back on an empty mag with the 22LR. 

When shooting both the Standard and Match with 9mm it was not a contest. The  SA trigger, longer barrel, and better sights on the Match made the 100.00 price difference a no brainer.

The Match used to be priced 100.00 more than a standard Witness. Think mine was 580.00 from Oakhill.

Really leaning toward the Hunter.  Price difference between the Match and Witness is more than $100 now a days.  The SA trigger would be a nice option and the Match trigger would probably need PD trigger work similiar to a Stock or Lim Pro.

Would the Hunter be legal for Lim 10?

26 minutes ago, radny97 said:

I have a Hunter in 45 and i love it. My favorite semi-auto.
And it is legal for Lim10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it would be but I've never actually shot Lim 10.  There is almost zero action in that division at my locals.

50 minutes ago, radny97 said:

I have a Hunter in 45 and i love it. My favorite semi-auto.
And it is legal for Lim10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are making The decision to get a Hunter easier for me. Never seen one.

9 hours ago, aandabooks said:

Somehow this Canik jumped on the 4473 on the way out.

"Honey, it followed me home from the gun store, can we keep it?"   lol.

Hunter trigger. Do all the "usual" polishing tricks. Go heavy on polishing the plunger (trigger bar lifter). Get all the zipper feel out. Use Patriot Defense trigger spring, sear spring and 15.5 hammer spring. Pay attention to polishing the  holes / pins too.  You will be pretty dang happy with just that. Note, you wont impact pull force much by going any lower than the 15.5# on  the hammer spring.

On 1/10/2018 at 9:02 PM, aandabooks said:

Hunter showed up today.  Trigger is going to need a little work, grips and FO front will be needed.

image.jpeg.e8a4c016931c99943c9ef9ad471d42ff.jpeg

Somehow this Canik jumped on the 4473 on the way out.

image.jpeg.287323420ca674e3fa1ca088fad549d2.jpeg

Look closely at the parts bags for the Hunter , and there should be a fiber optic front sight included . 

On 1/11/2018 at 5:57 PM, aandabooks said:

I'll have to look around in my spare Tanfo parts bin.  This is my 5th Tanfo and I seem to have a bunch of extra springs.  I don't think that I will be doing a Bolo/Titan hammer on this one.  

I tried Titan and BOLO in my Match Xtreme.  Went back to the Delta Hammer it came with because there was no improvement.  The TRS, FPS, and sear spring from PD along with a good polish job was all I needed.

Great choice.  The hunter/match xtreme are so damn accurate it is scary!