Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PXT extractor in a 45 SS

Joe4d

I seem to recall the problems with these being with .40 and 9mm's, but  45 owners said they were fine.
My gun is about an 03, 04 purchase, LTC  alloy Commander size. I shot it a bit when new, and carried it for awhile. Otherwise its been sitting, thinking of turning it into my back country gun.
Right now it needs a trigger job but should I arbitrarily change the extractor to the EGW replacement ? Hasn't given me any issue, yet I assume extractors dont until the break. Im underway at the moment and honestly not sure it if it has that extractor or not. Just trying to put together a Brownells order.
WHich BTW I dotn like their new web layout at all ,  search is horrible.

• 2 weeks later...

Swap out the extractor.  Either EGW or sleeved.  I have used the PXTs for over a decade.  They really don't break, the just get gummed up very quickly.  I have been bitten twice in matches by the PXT.  Both times it was crud in the plunger spring area.  If I was meticulous and cleaned the extractor every time I cleaned the gun (every other match) then OK. 

I don't want to be bitten a third time, so....

Both of my P16s are at my gun smith now.  Being fitted with EGWs and a few other things.   Including being milled for S&A mag-wells.   I love the Dawson ICE, but it limited my magazine options.  With the S&A I will be able to run almost any magazine option.  I will be able to run Mecgar $18 tubes with Arendondo guts for 18 rounds re-loadable or Para tubes with dawson at 20 relodable or my 3 MBXs.  Just opens a lot of doors.