Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody try swapping 1.0 & 2.0 top ends?

RH45

Anybody try swapping 1.0 & 2.0 top ends?

I was playing around, and it looks like the top end from my full-size, 1.0, and the top end, with an Apex, gunsmith-fit barrel will work on my 2.0 frame, but, eventhough the top end, from the 2.0 goes on both of my 1.0 frames, I can see that the slide can't be locked back.

4 hours ago, Triemferent said:

Ive never tried it but S&W says they are not compatible

There's a gun shop, in Northern Wisconsin that has one for sale, with a 2.0 lower, mated to a 1.0 C.O.R.E. upper.

9 hours ago, thebridge said:

I’ll be watching for replies...  Is this “full-size” top end a long slide by chance?  

...Id like a 2.0 L in black.

My 2.0 is a 5" in FDE. The only way they offer it right now.

The 1.0 uppers that I tried, wer from a stock, full-size, with a 4 1/4" bbl, and my 5" Pro, that really surprised me that it slid on, with the oversized, Apex, gunsmith-fit bbl.

I figured that was you reasoning.

Id seriously have a 2.0 40L on order if they could be had in all black.

That’s VERY repetitive tolerancs by S&W ..or you got lucky with that fit.  

Btw..how is the Apex in the 2.0 vs 1.0?

I went to the range today, and put the 1.0 top end from my 5" Pro, with the Apex-fit bbl on the 2.0 lower.

Slide locks back with all loads that will run.

I don't see any difference in accuracy, but, regardless of which top end is on the 2.0 lower, it won't run loads less than about 132pf

Even though I've racked the slide several hundred times, I think it's because the frame rails are longer, adding just a little friction.

I didn't measure the trigger pull on the 2.0 yet, but it feels a tad heavier than both 1.0s that have Apex trigger parts. If I remember correctly, they came in at 36 ounces.

I think I was just lucky, because I can't put my 5" Pro upper, with the Apex, gunsmith fit bbl on my full size lower(1.0, with 4 1/4" bbl)

Edited by RH45

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2018 at 6:44 PM, jjw said:

my 5" 2.0 will go together on any 2.0 lower.

trying to sell a 2.0o fde in the classifieds

bought it by mistake. wont take it back

jjw

It won't fit on the new, 2.0 compact

10 hours ago, RH45 said:

It won't fit on the new, 2.0 compact

lets make sure we are on the same page.   i am talking about all 2.0 lowers/uppers only.    not any 1.0 series.

all uppers will fit on any of the my 3.  just tried it. .  2.0-c lowers. both with a 5" upper. stuck  the guns out my back door and shot the steel in my backyard range. 34 rds 100% reliable. naturally the dog is not happy.  L.O.L. 

cheers

jjw

p.s.    i am trying to sell a 5" upper in fde. i will keep the f.d.e. lower and carry with a 2.0-c upper.  have done with with s&w .45's and colt commander 45's with a  officers upper on it.

No, when I started this thread, I was asking if 2.0 uppers would work on 1.0 lowers, and vice versa.

What I have tried, and found is that on the full size, or 5”, you CAN mix and match, but you would have to do some modifications to have the slide to lock back, if you have a 2.0 upper, on a 1.0 lower, but, the slide will lock back with a 1.0 upper, on a 2.0 lower.

On the compacts, 1.0 and 2.0 won’t interchange, but, even when I tried to interchange full sized, or 5”, with 1.0 compacts, they didn’t interchange. I’d really like to have the grip length of the 1.0 compact, with a full size(4 1/2”) upper. The only place that the shorter uppers have an advantage is when you’re trying to carry, concealed, on a OWB holster, and trying to keep it out of sight with a shirt. Using a IWB holster, I feel that the longer upper actually helps keep it in better than the shorter guns.

13 hours ago, RH45 said:

No, when I started this thread, I was asking if 2.0 uppers would work on 1.0 lowers, and vice versa.

What I have tried, and found is that on the full size, or 5”, you CAN mix and match, but you would have to do some modifications to have the slide to lock back, if you have a 2.0 upper, on a 1.0 lower, but, the slide will lock back with a 1.0 upper, on a 2.0 lower.

On the compacts, 1.0 and 2.0 won’t interchange, but, even when I tried to interchange full sized, or 5”, with 1.0 compacts, they didn’t interchange. I’d really like to have the grip length of the 1.0 compact, with a full size(4 1/2”) upper. The only place that the shorter uppers have an advantage is when you’re trying to carry, concealed, on a OWB holster, and trying to keep it out of sight with a shirt. Using a IWB holster, I feel that the longer upper actually helps keep it in better than the shorter guns.

all my friends go your  way  :    long upper and short lower.  guess i am out of step but have always liked the opposite

your  info is going in my file on this concept

saved me some work. we going to all 2.0-f/s and compacts for work

tks

jjw

The new, 2.0 compact would be an OK compromise, but, not EXACTLT what I would like.

If S&W comes out with a 2.0, in the original size of the 1.0 compact, and they interchanged with the longer uppers, I'd probably be buying another 2 M&Ps:D

the reason they inter mix on the 2,0 series is a improvement on the 1.0 series. the man who designed the 1.0 series was Earnie Langdon. who also designed the baretta  vertec  before he  he worked at s&w. he also designed the 5x45x39 ar's(not really important i guess) L.o.L..

he said when they built 1.0 series in 9 & .40 they did not take interchange ability.into account. when they designed the .45 (came last) they did. as stated.     i have a full size lower and a compact upper as   a bedroom gun.

what smith has done "finally" is build the guns to interchange.

u are like most people , want a carry gun with a long barrel and short grip. i am so twisted, i went the other way L.O.L.

would u buy a  5" fde on a full size or compact  black lower ? i can make that happen

cheers

jjw

Edited by jjw

• 4 years later...

Felt like resurrecting this old thread just to provide my 2 cents worth.
I have a M2.0 Core and a M1.0 9L ported, and as mentioned, the M1.0 slide runs on the M2.0 frame, with the slingshot caveat mentioned.
However I won't use this hack anymore because the M1.0 barrel gun won't shoot a grouping when mounted on an M2.0 frame. Probably due to incomplete lockup. So I've shelved the idea.
By the way, I really enjoy shooting both guns. I probably won't hold my own in IPSC Open Division with a ported M&P but it should be okay for steel matches.

• 1 month later...

The only real issue with running 2.0 slides on 1.0 frames is the slide stop. 1.0 is square 2.0 is a wedge shaped. The uppers will work but you will have unreliable lock back. I’m running a 1.0 frame and slide with 2.0 internals except for the slide stop, It’s a 1.0. I’d put it up against anything as far as reliability. Remember the “factory” gives advice for the lowest common customer, such as you cannot change the factory recoil spring because they set it up correctly. You may have to do some tuning but if you cannot figure out those issues maybe going off the res isn’t for you. 

I do not have any 2.0 models, all my M&P's are 1.0 so I am asking a question based on observations at the LGS and from photos/videos.

The question is:

Could a 2.0 slide have the small "wedge" slide-lock-notch machined out to the larger "rectangle" type of the original 1.0 slides?

It appears like this would be the only change needed to run a 2.0 slide on an old 1.0 frame and have the slide lock function normally. But again, I have no experience with 2.0 models.