Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SJC Frame weight and thumb rest install

jerkeejoe

So, my frame weight and thumb rest arrived today. The frame weight is incredibly easy to install, but the instructions for the thumb rest install are not great. Additionally, I’m not overly anxious to drill a hole in my frame. Is it really necessary to drill a hole in the frame to install the thumbrest or will I be fine with the thumbrest just attached to the secured frame weight without drilling my frame for the thumbrest?

The thumb rest screws onto the weight with this setup with three screws. 

The thumb rest feels really solid without the frame drilling, so my only concern is that pressure on the thumb rest might flex the frame and cause it to rub on the slide. I’m gonna shoot it tomorrow morning and see how it goes. 

Edited by jerkeejoe

I would have the same concern that you have. I haven’t used their thumb rest but I would worry about the frame flex as well. Drilling into the gram was the easy part. I did it to install their micro dot mount. I believe it’s he same hole size and screw in both appplications. The painful part was inletting enough material to fit the eye. This is what the screw threads into. I just went slowly with a dremel until the eye was into the frame enough to clear the guide rod. I have a gen 3 frame. My buddy said his experience was a lot easier than mine but I do think he said that you have to convert to a gen 3 guide rod for it. At least that’s what I think he said. 

5 hours ago, CamboSoup22 said:

I would have the same concern that you have. I haven’t used their thumb rest but I would worry about the frame flex as well. Drilling into the gram was the easy part. I did it to install their micro dot mount. I believe it’s he same hole size and screw in both appplications. The painful part was inletting enough material to fit the eye. This is what the screw threads into. I just went slowly with a dremel until the eye was into the frame enough to clear the guide rod. I have a gen 3 frame. My buddy said his experience was a lot easier than mine but I do think he said that you have to convert to a gen 3 guide rod for it. At least that’s what I think he said. 

Thanks for the input.  That's the exact same concern I have.  The hole drilling is very easy, the inletting, I'm not so sure about.

Any chance you can share a picture of the finished inletting so I can get a netter idea what is required?

if you do it yourself I’m sure you can do it a lot better than I did. Just take your time and buy some various sanding bits for a dremel. I was very limited and in a time crunch. Take a little out at a time and check the fitment of the eye. 

C965C124-EAC9-403A-AE51-0BDE1A0F5976.png

19 hours ago, CamboSoup22 said:

if you do it yourself I’m sure you can do it a lot better than I did. Just take your time and buy some various sanding bits for a dremel. I was very limited and in a time crunch. Take a little out at a time and check the fitment of the eye. 

YIKES! Was Whiskey involved in this incident?..lol.

19 hours ago, CamboSoup22 said:

Thanks for the pic man. 

24 minutes ago, GIO said:

Haha. I’m just grateful to have a pic to give me an idea. I searched the inter webs and couldn’t find a pic until this one. 

1 hour ago, GIO said:

Hehe. Possibly. It was a long day of work followed by a late night trip to Walmart for a dremel and they didn’t have a lot of options on sanding bits. And an event the next day. Some could have got mixed in at some point. It was like @jerkeejoe  it would have been a lot easier if I had one picture to go off of. I couldn’t find anything either. 

Have you used a thumb rest before? The first one I had on my glock was the pin style. At first I mainly used it as indexing for the support hand. After while shooting with it. I found that I was starting to use it more and more for recoil management. I actually broke one of the pin style. I’ve since switched to a 2011 and really use the thumb rest for recoil management.  I’d still recommend doing an inspection on everything periodically for sanity.