Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of going to the EAA/Tanfoglio camp ...

lfine

Been using my G34 for production but not thrilled with it. Also have a PPQ M2 5" that I may switch to. But I keep toying with the idea of just going to a Witness Elite Stock II having heard so much good about it and the entire platform.  Don't seem to be any used I can find and none to rent.  This is a stupid question, but I've never been afraid to ask a stupid question before so - any recommendation?  Keep looking for used? Keep looking to rent? )I'm in Cleveland area - don't see anything around here.) Any thoughts are appreciated before I spend $1K for, albeit, a beautiful piece of machinery.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kinda depends what org you are going to shoot in. If IDPA, I think only a stock 2 or a limpro would work. They are both pretty hard to find. Shooting USPSA, a stock 3 is a good alternative and they seem to be everywhere. A heavy all metal gun can be a pleasure to shoot compared to the plastic fantastics,,, the cool thing about Tanfos are the frame is the same for all calibers, just need a different slide to shoot a different org or class,,,

I went with a stock 3 and loved it.

After.

After I learned to load ammo to “oh, hell. Primers that are flush are HIGH?!” specifications. And wrote the book on taking one apart and polishing and tuning.

If the idea of multiple range trips to slowly whittle away at the various reasons your particular Tanfo is acting up (tearing it down a few dozen times to tune and tweakin between) is not annoying and instead sounds like a fun project? Buy one.

I enjoyed the process. A lot. I liked shooting the gun. But I shoot polymer just as well, and so will you. Tanfos aren’t going to help you obtain sight pictures better nor pull triggers straighter. Your scores won’t change.

Don’t buy a gun to move up. I loved shooting mine, but I’m back in polymer with a Q5 Match and I’m not missing out on anything.

So am I. I loved building mine. Wasn’t trying to talk you into or out of the platform. Merely to set appropriate expectations. ;) 

Hopefully a local wants me to set theirs up for them someday. Fun guns to work on, although the learning process makes you want to beat you head against the wall at times.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Actually, I think I am one of those masochistic type that like to constantly tune and tinker with  things. But I appreciate the advice.

Maybe I should try a CZ-75 or equivalent first to try the platform?

Edited by lfine

Stick with Glock!  

Don't go down this rabbit hole!  

The tanfos are sweet. So are they CZs. 

Glocks are good to go as well. I wish I wasn't the idiot I am and would have never switched guns........ 20 times. 

Edited by B_RAD

I was shooting A class with a Glock when I picked up a stock 2. Took it to battle in the blue grass one week from taking delivery of it. Finished well in the A class guys. So didn’t have a setback personally. Since then trained a lot more than I was with the Glock as for me the gun was much more fun to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, lfine said:

Actually, I think I am one of those masochistic type that like to constantly tune and tinker with  things. But I appreciate the advice.

Maybe I should try a CZ-75 or equivalent first to try the platform?

What you will find is the cz platform is (often) prefered for people with small hands. They are physically smaller. Paradoxically, with my hands i can drop the Tanfo mag without a regrip, but not the cz. I'm 6'1 and have xl gloves.

The "Stock 1" from IFG (not EAA) is also a very good option. They (IFG) are also working to bring back the lim pro and one other model that eaa doesn't import.

My buddy, Memphismechanic, has some good points on the tuning and expectations.  However ... some guns just work better than another and can make a difference.  i don't shoot glocks well but they still are good guns. And i have time to play with tuning, so messing w Tanfo was enjoyable.  And the trigger of a well sorted one is just great.

Around here there are loads of tanfos at local matches.  ask around,  most guys are happy to share a few shots.

In terms of hand size (not going down that rabbit hole) the only thing that bothers me about my 34 is even with the s grip, I have to shift my hand for the mag release; with the PPQ its right there.  So I'll have to see how the CZ/Tanfo family fits.

An all metal gun helps absorb some of the recoil. All the parts needed to get a 21/2# single action and a 6# double action trigger that runs great are buyable from Patriot Defense and not hard to install. Super polish jobs and the lightest trigger pulls are achieveable and, like a highly tuned racecar, need regular upkeep. I clean mine about every 2K, but its more of a wipe the dirtyness out and reoil. At about 3K I will get a failure to feed. 

1210171755-1.jpg

I don't care what anyone tells you, the Tanfo has the better DA trigger pull. When comparing a tuned CZ to a tuned Tanfo.  But that's only one shot so,.... Not really a game changer. 

The CZ is easier to preform reloads. 

6 hours ago, Nathanb said:

You won’t find a unicorn for rent most likely. I made that switch. If you aren’t putting in serious work expect a setback. I regressed pretty hard core when I did it. 

I made Production M with a G17 in October.  I immediately threw that in the safe and spent about 2 weeks on a new Stock 2.  I won my first level 2 match (competition was more in line with a level 1) in my first time out with it in late October.  I didn’t see any set back. 

If the tanfo frame is comfortable for you then go with it. Compare the feel of it with a CZ because there’s a sizeable difference in small frame (CZ) and large frame (tanfo). 

6 hours ago, texasdawg said:

Kinda depends what org you are going to shoot in. If IDPA, I think only a stock 2 or a limpro would work. They are both pretty hard to find. Shooting USPSA, a stock 3 is a good alternative and they seem to be everywhere. A heavy all metal gun can be a pleasure to shoot compared to the plastic fantastics,,, the cool thing about Tanfos are the frame is the same for all calibers, just need a different slide to shoot a different org or class,,,

The new stock 1 imported by IFG was designed specifically to meet the weight requirement for IDPA.

11 hours ago, lfine said:

In terms of hand size (not going down that rabbit hole) the only thing that bothers me about my 34 is even with the s grip, I have to shift my hand for the mag release; with the PPQ its right there.  So I'll have to see how the CZ/Tanfo family fits.

The large frame Tanfos are similar in reach to a Glock, so you’ll be back to flipping the gun. Not a big deal, but expect it.

The PPQs slide release and mag catch are ergonomically superior to pretty much every other viable Production gun.

Pardon my ignorance, but in the photo above, what did you start with as a base model before tweaking it?

The Limited Pro is similar in “pimp-ness” to a Stock 2. The giveaway that its a competition-frame model (Stock I/II/III or Lim Pro) is the big square trigger guard.

The base-model “Witnesses” have a round trigger guard. They’re also not hardchromed.

Pardon my ignorance, but in the photo above, what did you start with as a base model before tweaking it?

The Limited Pro is similar in “pimp-ness” to a Stock 2. The giveaway that its a competition-frame model (Stock I/II/III or Lim Pro) is the big square trigger guard.

The base-model “Witnesses” have a round trigger guard. They’re also not hardchromed.

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

And I will add another wrinkle that there is another ' tweener ' frame . It has a rounded trigger guard , and came on the original Stock 1 with a conefit bull upper like Stock 2 . Differences are shorter dust cover , roll pin hammer pivot instead of pin and pin-pin , slightly less aggressive backstrap / frontstrap checkering ( but far more than base-model frame ) . Size wise frame is slightly larger than base frame , and slightly smaller than competition frame , and it came in hard chrome .

I shoot UPSPA Limited Division and switched from a modified G22 to an Elite Limited Custom (in 40 S&W) late last season.  And really glad I did.  This is an awesome gun.

zT6vIS6pUaVo4rL0fOyNCigsF8xqVwBIaZvJMoLb

This is an out-of-the box, ready for completion gun.  I installed a Dawson fiber optic front site, Henning magwell, and EGD grips.  I also polished some parts like the feed ramp and breach face.  Trigger pull is perfect for me - right out 4.25 lbs and very smooth.  My Glock as at 4.5 - but not near as smooth.  I reload so I had to tweek my OAL a bit - from 1.135 that I was shooting in the Glock to 1.125.  The 1.135 OAL was causing some FTF issues.  I'm shooting 180 grain blue bullets over 4.2 grains of Hodgdons Titegroup which gives me a power factor of ~170.  Accuracy on the gun is amazing and very consistent. 

Looking forward to the upcoming season.

Edited by JROTTY