Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leading problem with PPC loads?

twister

I'm loading 2.7 Bullseye with a hollow  base wad cutter, and I have a ton of lead after shooting 120 rounds. What can I change so I don't have to spend an hour cleaning the gun after a session at the range? Thanks for help on this, Dave.

33 minutes ago, revoman said:

Use coated, plated or fmj.

I shot the same load for years in PPC, with a hard cast WC bullet sized to my gun.

Try .001 or .002 larger bullet and it MAY reduce your problem.

Or

as said above go with coated, I DID on all my bullets including for open major loads and don't have any leading

9 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

I shot the same load for years in PPC, with a hard cast WC bullet sized to my gun.

Try .001 or .002 larger bullet and it MAY reduce your problem.

Or

as said above go with coated, I DID on all my bullets including for open major loads and don't have any leading

Me too but 2.8gr/Bullseye.  Try harder bullets.  I found lots of leading with the soft bullets.

First up what cases are you using?
After you sized and flare a care seat a projectile to the correct depth. Then knock it out.
Compare the size of the projectile to a new one. Measure a couple of places for each one. Like the top, mid section and hollow base section.
If the projectile is smaller than a new one the cases are sizing the projectile. You will need an oversized full length expander. Not the ones that come with standard dies.

Edited by Spaceball

Hey twister,

I use mixed brass and full wad cutters quite often.  Mine are mostly plain ole swaged lead ones.  I seat to full depth or nearly so and roll crimp just a little.

I run them about 700 fps or so.  I get very little leading.  You may not have enough bullet lube on your wadcutters.  Maybe your taper crimp is squeezing a little too much.

I do prefer harder cast bullets in my revolvers when shooting speedier loads.

Is there a constriction where the barrel passes thru the frame? If the barrel torques up too tight to the frame, it constricts the barrel where it threads into the revolver. I had a Colt that had a tight spot in front of the forcing cone that always leaded, never been happier to see a revolver go away.

15 hours ago, twister said:

RePete, mine don’t have near that much crimp, and they are loaded flush with the case.

When I set my dies up, I used the factory Federal and Winchester match ammo for the crimp.  And  Remington have about the same crimp from the ammo I have seen.

1 hour ago, twister said:

I’m thinking about shooting the full wadcutters, then cleaning my gun with a cylinder full of jacketed Bullets!  Did this at the range yesterday and it seemed to work.

Not a good idea.  All you will accomplish is burnishing the lead into the rifling.  If it is that bad, use Sweets 7.62 cleaner and make sure you read the instruction first.

I’m thinking about shooting the full wadcutters, then cleaning my gun with a cylinder full of jacketed Bullets!  Did this at the range yesterday and it seemed to work.

Do you shoot jacketed and lead bullets out of the same gun without cleaning in between? That could be your problem.

Copper fouling attracts lead. I remove all traces of copper with solvents before shooting lead. It's a pain, so I just generally avoid jacketed bullets.

A friend of mine shot 1 cylinder of jacketed bullets thru my 44 mag, and it started leading badly with my loads that had never leaded before. I cleaned it thoroughly and the problem went away.