Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag capacity

dmshozer1

On 1/3/2018 at 10:06 AM, dmshozer1 said:

Watched a PCC shooter shoot all 5 strings every stage with one 33 rd Glock mag.

Legal?

Really confused now,

One reply says yes, the other says no?

I do not see anything in the rule book about mag capacity.

Under "Scoring" the book says shoot as many rounds as necessary to complete the string.

21 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

Really confused now,

One reply says yes, the other says no?

I do not see anything in the rule book about mag capacity.

Under "Scoring" the book says shoot as many rounds as necessary to complete the string.

Magazine capacity is covered in Appendix D of USPSA rules. PCC has no length or capacity limits. If a person was shooting in Production they are only allowed to load to 10 rounds per magazine same with Limited 10 division. Open and Limited division are only limited by magazine length, not capacity. 

35 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

Magazine capacity is covered in Appendix D of USPSA rules. PCC has no length or capacity limits. If a person was shooting in Production they are only allowed to load to 10 rounds per magazine same with Limited 10 division. Open and Limited division are only limited by magazine length, not capacity. 

Thanks,

So the Steel Challenge rules are different than USPSA Steel Challenge rules?

46 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

Thanks,

So the Steel Challenge rules are different than USPSA Steel Challenge rules?

Steel challenge is Governed by the USPSA and has been since 2008 ( I believe).  Steel challenge is another discipline under USPSA just like multigun is also part of USPSA. 

13 minutes ago, stick said:

Steel challenge is Governed by the USPSA and has been since 2008 ( I believe).  Steel challenge is another discipline under USPSA just like multigun is also part of USPSA. 

Thanks,

I looked under the SCSA rule book,

It is different than the USPSA rules.

2 hours ago, dmshozer1 said:

Thanks,

I looked under the SCSA rule book,

It is different than the USPSA rules.

...not for magazine capacity, really.

The SCSA rulebook here:  https://steelchallenge.com/steel-challenge-Rules-Home.php

....in Appendix H, specifically lists the magazine max sizes and capacities for each of the divisions.  For example, H3.9 says "Yes, maximum 10 rounds loaded in any magazine after the start signal"  for Production division while H10.5 in the section listed as "maximum magazine capacity" says "No." for PCC.

Those appendices MOSTLY come straight from the USPSA division requirements, which is why people have been saying USPSA Appendix D.  That being said, with the new ruleset now out (yay!) the division equipment requirements are specifically listed in the SCSA rulebook, so you don't have to look elsewhere.

PCC and Open have no capacity limits.  PCC doesn't even have a magazine length limit.  Other divisions differ in whether or not they have mag length or mag capacity limits.  All are spelled out in the rulebook.

7 minutes ago, Thomas H said:

...not for magazine capacity, really.

The SCSA rulebook here:  https://steelchallenge.com/steel-challenge-Rules-Home.php

....in Appendix H, specifically lists the magazine max sizes and capacities for each of the divisions.  For example, H3.9 says "Yes, maximum 10 rounds loaded in any magazine after the start signal"  for Production division while H10.5 in the section listed as "maximum magazine capacity" says "No." for PCC.

Those appendices MOSTLY come straight from the USPSA division requirements, which is why people have been saying USPSA Appendix D.  That being said, with the new ruleset now out (yay!) the division equipment requirements are specifically listed in the SCSA rulebook, so you don't have to look elsewhere.

PCC and Open have no capacity limits.  PCC doesn't even have a magazine length limit.  Other divisions differ in whether or not they have mag length or mag capacity limits.  All are spelled out in the rulebook.

Got it, Thanks

and frankly I see no advantage/ disadvantage to allowing stock magazines to be loaded to capacity.... 15,17 etc as long as they are production length.  would make it easier for  new shooters to participate with less than 5 mags.   If you used more than 10 rds in a string then that is not going to be a good time anyway, so why limit to 10 rds in production.

• 3 months later...

I got a buddy that one of the ranges he shoots Steel Challenge at, they Don't paint after every shooter, so in Production he says

he loads 15 rounds in his Mags.  He says if they Dont follow SCSA rules and paint after Every Shooter, why should he follow

the 10 rounds in a Mag rule..  

Edited by bigtimelarry

13 minutes ago, bigtimelarry said:

I got a buddy that one of the ranges he shoots Steel Challenge at, they Don't paint after every shooter, so in Production he says

he loads 15 rounds in his Mags.  He says if they Dont follow SCSA rules and paint after Every Shooter, why should he follow

Your friend should request the plates to be painted. If I go shoot somewhere and they don’t always paint in between shooters I ask if I can get them painted. Nobody has every told me no. 

If clubs are not following rules, go to the match director. If you get no response, so to your area director. Take it up to uspsa hq if you have to. 

1 hour ago, bigtimelarry said:

I just love seeing videos on Facebook or Youtube of someone shooting unpainted plates. I'll normally post a snarky remark asking if that was practice session. If they reply it's from a match then I remind them about the requirement to paint plates. I also under if these ranges ignore other rules such as a dropped gun or breaking the 180. 

I'll withhold comment about your buddy ignoring the capacity limitation in Production. I'm certain it's just an oversight that happened one time and you advised him to only load 10 going forward. It shouldn't ever happen again, I'm sure. 

Is it a rule they have to paint the plates for each shooter or can the club just say it takes too much time or uses too much paint ?

I just wonder if you get a miss but it might of edged the plate, how will you know ?

Edited by bigtimelarry

13 minutes ago, bigtimelarry said:

Is it a rule they have to paint the plates for each shooter or can the club just say it takes too much time or uses too much paint ?

I just wonder if you get a miss but it might of edged the plate, how will you know ?

If they are the type of plates which fall to the ground it is a local rule that we bitch at the guy who makes us handle sticky wet painted plates at a local match. 

Otherwise they get painted. 

4 hours ago, bigtimelarry said:

Yes sir, 5.5 in the 2018 rule set.