Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2018 will be the year of an AR10 based shotgun!

gose

One can dream, right?

Been waiting for years on a "real" AR10-based shotgun, but it's apparently harder than it seems. Rhino went bye-bye and though Genesis Arms are allegedly shipping, the lack of a 10 round magazine leads me to believe that they can't get it to work and without anything larger than 5 (which is what they use in all promo videos), they probably wont be around for long.

Can someone please take my money already?

17 hours ago, WhoIsPat9 said:

Have you looked into an XTR-12 worked on by Tooth & Nail?

Yeah, there are some other alternatives, but my Firebirds run great, so what I'm looking for is something made in the the US that fits on an AR10 lower. 

Too bad Remington came out with their box fed shotguns in the 870 model, instead of a semi-auto.

My Firebird runs 100%, and doesn't have many rounds through it, due to physical issues, in the last several years, and just talked to Jim about maybe upgrading it, but, it's one of his first builds, which was based on a pre-XN model, and nothing available.:(

Dunno what your issues are, but I use my pre XN Firebird all the time. Got a Firebird lower for it and all the problems with feeding went away.

jj

What kind of upgrades are you wanting to do to it?

Edited by RiggerJJ

58 minutes ago, RiggerJJ said:

Dunno what your issues are, but I use my pre XN Firebird all the time. Got a Firebird lower for it and all the problems with feeding went away.

jj

What kind of upgrades are you wanting to do to it?

It had some feeding issues, when I first got it, but, Jim broke the edges, on the chamber, and put in an aluminum feed ramp, and that all went away.

I haven’t been shooting 3-gun in the last several years due to medical issues, but was HOPING to get back in to it this year. 

I try to give it a good cleaning & lube every 3-400 rounds, but, it’s a P.I.T.A. I thought maybe if I went to his billet upper & lower, it would be easier to get apart and put back together, but he said that wasn’t available for pre-XN models.:(

8 hours ago, RH45 said:

Too bad Remington came out with their box fed shotguns in the 870 model, instead of a semi-auto.

My Firebird runs 100%, and doesn't have many rounds through it, due to physical issues, in the last several years, and just talked to Jim about maybe upgrading it, but, it's one of his first builds, which was based on a pre-XN model, and nothing available.:(

Im betting the mags will become available on a VM soon. 

1 hour ago, RH45 said:

It had some feeding issues, when I first got it, but, Jim broke the edges, on the chamber, and put in an aluminum feed ramp, and that all went away.

I haven’t been shooting 3-gun in the last several years due to medical issues, but was HOPING to get back in to it this year. 

I try to give it a good cleaning & lube every 3-400 rounds, but, it’s a P.I.T.A. I thought maybe if I went to his billet upper & lower, it would be easier to get apart and put back together, but he said that wasn’t available for pre-XN models.:(

Yea, it IS a pia to clean and reassemble. Even have to rezero slugs after.

I thought he still had some billet lowers for the pre XN, guess I am mistaken. I got one from him 4 or so years ago. I don't think he did an upper for it.

His Tac12a is quite the machine thou, answers all the problems of the XN and preXN. Pretty sure they are available...

jj

On 1/11/2018 at 6:23 AM, Nathanb said:

Wait so that fits on an ar-10 lower? I may just so happen to have a large framed sbr lower. 

Off to google 

Meh. As far as I can tell, it's still only "AR-style", so wont fit on an AR10 lower.

14 hours ago, RiggerJJ said:

Yea, it IS a pia to clean and reassemble. Even have to rezero slugs after.

I thought he still had some billet lowers for the pre XN, guess I am mistaken. I got one from him 4 or so years ago. I don't think he did an upper for it.

His Tac12a is quite the machine thou, answers all the problems of the XN and preXN. Pretty sure they are available...

jj

It's good to hear somebody else admit that they also have to re-zero with slugs after taking it apart and cleaning.:P

Everybody else I talked to that has a 1919 claims that they don't have to. Maybe they just don't check?:wacko:

Jim built mine in the beginning of 2012, and like I said, I believe I only have about 2k through it, and I think I only shot one local match, in the last 3 years. When I talked to Jim, a couple of days ago, it was with the intentions of upgrading my gun with his billet lower, or lower & upper, but he said the only billet receivers he has is for the newer models.:(

Yes, Nancy quoted me a new Tac12.

If it looks like I'm going to be able to shoot much, this year, I definitely don't want to go to a big match without a back-up gun.

My previous back-up gun was a JP 1100, but, I didn't practice, and sometimes missed my reloads, with the Tec loaders, so I sold it with intentions of buying another box-fed shotgun, that accept the same mags I already have. 

On 1/15/2018 at 11:42 AM, mike NM said:

XTR-12.... Any updates???

It's not really AR10 compatible either. I believe a DPMS-style upper will fit on their lower, but not the other way around, so meh again.

1 hour ago, gose said:

It's not really AR10 compatible either. I believe a DPMS-style upper will fit on their lower, but not the other way around, so meh again.

That’s too bad.

I have a DPMS.308.

It would be great to just buy an upper!

• 2 months later...