Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Square Deal Shell Plate Bolt

I have a Dillon Square Deal and primarily load 40 S&W.  Have had for about 1 year and loaded around 12,000 rounds.  During that time I have broken 2 shell plate bolts.  Is this a common problem with Dillon SD?  Any advise on how to prevent or what might me going on?

2 hours ago, Chili said:

I'd say it's a common issue.  I've broken 3 or 4 over maybe 40k rounds.

I did reach out to Dillon today and as usual customer service is excellent.  Have a couple spares headed my way.  The customer service rep did recommend placing a small drop of lubricating oil on underside of bolt head to reduce friction.  Thought I would share.

3 hours ago, AngelDeVille said:

Call Dillon!  Maybe they have a solution.

I bought a square deal from a thrift store, and they warrantied it and upgraded it with the latest changes.

Dillon's customer service is outstanding!

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Shootymacshootface said:

If i had known about Hornaday one shot sooner, I would still have my sdb! 

Seriously! It runs like a different press. I hate that I loaded so many rounds before a friend suggested I try it. I asked Dillion every time I called for a new bolt and they told me I didn’t need to lube cases unless my brass was “too clean” or new which I can assure you it is not. Even considered having a hardened bolt made so I wasn’t beating my shell plate out of my dies every other few months or so. No issues now. 

44 minutes ago, bemanuel said:

How exactly do you guys use the One Shot?  During tumbling or after?  And if after what is the procedure?

One gallon Ziploc bag, One Shot the inside of the bag, them dump in brass, close and tumble to coat the brass.  Brass is ready for loading.  Don't bother with running through corn cob vibratory tumbler after it's been loaded.

On 1/14/2018 at 8:31 PM, bemanuel said:

How exactly do you guys use the One Shot?  During tumbling or after?  And if after what is the procedure?

Post tumbling. I spread mine out on a towel and shake them back and forth to try to get the majority of the brass mouth up. Pass over it three times. Once along each side at an angle and one pass down the middle. I let it sit while I check my powder throw and then use the towel to funnel the brass back into my container.

• 2 weeks later...