Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timing muzzle brake for Open gun

Southpaw

I'm putting together my first Open AR and am going to put a Miculek brake on it. I was wondering for those of you who shoot Open with an offset red dot, how do you time your brake?

If I didn't have an offset red dot and was just using 1 optic I'd probably time the brake to around 1 o'clock, but with it timed like that when using the offset red dot that would angle the brake slightly away from me to around 11 o'clock which I don't think would be good. So I was thinking I should angle the brake even more to maybe around 2 o'clock? (Values converted for all you righties, I'm actually a lefty :))

Thanks

Edited by Southpaw

Thanks for link. I tried doing a search, but missed that thread.

I agree with you that I'll be using the red dot more than the scope so seems like it makes more sense to time comp to it. And if comp is timed to red dot it'd still help with scope by pushing it in towards your body, but if timed to scope it'd push gun away from you while shooting with red dot. Or at least that's my thinking on it...

Devils advocate, when you roll the gun, you have a more aggressive hand position on the fire control as far as recoil goes. As pertains to recoil your hand is at the 45 instead of the 90 to control the energy leaving. I have to believe at best it would only be a subtle difference.