Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different Draw Speeds

AzNooB

I'm going to start off by saying I switched from Glock to CZ 3 months ago, and just recently started to learn how to grip it sufficiently and somewhat consistently on the draw. I'm still working on getting  consistent hand placement and grip strength on the draw, but it's improved vastly from when I first switched over since I started practicing.

On single shots, I can do some Instagram worthy draws - A zone hits on a metric at 7 yards in the 0.95-1.0 second range. However, when I do anything else like Blake drills or Bill drills, my draws slow down a good bit. When doing those drills, my first shot will be in the 1.1-1.4 second range even though they're at the same distance. I can generally get the remaining shots in the A zone, and if they're in the C, they're just outside to the left or right by about an inch or two.

So obviously, I have the capability to do a sub-second draw at 7 yards. But when I add in other tasks, my draw suffers and I'm not exactly sure why. What can I do to work on this?

I also have a bunch of other skills to work, so I'm not sure if it's worth my time to chase this one at the moment. I'm just confused by my lack of consistency when doing a single draw vs shooting a drill that is comprised of multiple shots.

If you can do single shot sub 1 second draw, there should be no difference when doing a bill drill. You are probable sitting on the sights to long when you do a bill drill. At 7 yards, you should be relying on your index for first shot and then pickup the sights in subsequent shots. Bill drills are ok to get used to picking up the sights but I think you’d be better off shooting 2 shoots on 3 targets and that way you’re also working on transitions in practice. 

It is funny you post this because I have found myself doing the exact same.

My draws to single shot are great (sub second) but if incorporating other tasks etc It slows to 1.1 second or even 1.5 second sometimes. The only thing I can think of this being the cause is slowing myself down for a solid sight picture and focus on the front sight. For whatever reason I start doing that from the holster instead of at presentation when I know follow on actions are required. Also it is easy to grab the gun and get one shot with decent accuracy fast because we can have a bad grip and still get away with it. Whereas with follow on actions I'm making sure I have a solid firm grip.

Like you say with single shot I'm getting A zone or at least close C zone hits. This is because I've got a "good enough" sight picture to break the shot faster. 

Whereas when I run a stage or a drill involving multiple shots (bill drill), I'm slowing down everything, from my draw to my sight alignment and then breaking the shot. 

3 hours ago, HoMiE said:

If you can do single shot sub 1 second draw, there should be no difference when doing a bill drill. You are probable sitting on the sights to long when you do a bill drill. At 7 yards, you should be relying on your index for first shot and then pickup the sights in subsequent shots. Bill drills are ok to get used to picking up the sights but I think you’d be better off shooting 2 shoots on 3 targets and that way you’re also working on transitions in practice. 

The one thing that makes me think we could take longer on the draw for a Bill Drill is that we tend to want to build up our best shooting grip to facilitate fast and accurate repeated shots.  As much as I want to be able to have that optimal grip by the time I've got a sight picture, it doesn't usually work out that way.  It's a work in progress.

42 minutes ago, GunBugBit said:

The one thing that makes me think we could take longer on the draw for a Bill Drill is that we tend to want to build up our best shooting grip to facilitate fast and accurate repeated shots.  As much as I want to be able to have that optimal grip by the time I've got a sight picture, it doesn't usually work out that way.  It's a work in progress.

Something that helped me with this was to make sure I was bringing my hands together and starting to build my two handed grip closer to my body. In my haste to get the gun out quickly I would get the pistol clear of the holster, get it moving towards the target, and not get my hands together till later in the draw stroke, which often enough, resulted in a grip that wasn't entirely secure enough for multiple shots. Bringing my hands together sooner in the draw stroke improved the speed and consistency of my draws, and the best part was I didn't have to move my hands any quicker. I was just being more efficient. Mike Seeklander has some good videos out that talk about building the two handed grip during the draw that are worth checking out if you haven't already.

3 minutes ago, BillGarlandJr said:

Something that helped me with this was to make sure I was bringing my hands together and starting to build my two handed grip closer to my body.

Ditto on this. Getting on top of it earlier also improved accuracy since alignment is better (for me). I also notice I get on the grip later when I'm starting to get tired.

Practice, practice, practice.   Watch the Seeklander videos, and some of the other pros like Keonig, Tomasie, Michel Jr. Make sure you are setting your gear up exactly in the same spot every time, of it will also throw you off in getting the grip early.

18 hours ago, BillGarlandJr said:

Something that helped me with this was to make sure I was bringing my hands together and starting to build my two handed grip closer to my body. In my haste to get the gun out quickly I would get the pistol clear of the holster, get it moving towards the target, and not get my hands together till later in the draw stroke, which often enough, resulted in a grip that wasn't entirely secure enough for multiple shots. Bringing my hands together sooner in the draw stroke improved the speed and consistency of my draws, and the best part was I didn't have to move my hands any quicker. I was just being more efficient. Mike Seeklander has some good videos out that talk about building the two handed grip during the draw that are worth checking out if you haven't already.

This perfectly reinforces recent adjustments I've made to my draw.  Thank you for taking the time to dispense this excellent counsel.

Edited by GunBugBit