Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uprange Reloads

Just4FunLP

I’ve been using a method of reloading while running uprange to the left side of the bay where my body is facing mostly uprange allowing me to move fast, but keeping my elbow close and the gun tipped back downrange. In the example photo the camera is pointing down the 180 line and I’m moving uprange to the right.  Also when moving uprange to the right side of the bay my gun is pointing up to about 10 or as much as 11 o’clock.  I practice this and I feel pretty comfortable with it, but other shooters will often say thy thought I broke the 180.  I’ve never been DQd.  Yet....  I see a lot of people taking time to reload before turning and running uprange, and it seems like an easy way to save time.  That is, if you dedicate some regular practice to it.  I know it’s close.  Perhaps it would be a good idea to warn the RO of what I’m going to do so he can make sure he keeps an eye on my muzzle. 

Thanks

C84612FF-92A1-40E1-8220-1AB24ECBA9C3.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Just4FunLP said:

I’ve been using a method of reloading while running uprange to the left side of the bay where my body is facing mostly uprange allowing me to move fast, but keeping my elbow close and the gun tipped back downrange. In the example photo the camera is pointing down the 180 line and I’m moving uprange to the right.  Also when moving uprange to the right side of the bay my gun is pointing up to about 10 or as much as 11 o’clock.  I practice this and I feel pretty comfortable with it, but other shooters will often say thy thought I broke the 180.  I’ve never been DQd.  Yet....  I see a lot of people taking time to reload before turning and running uprange, and it seems like an easy way to save time.  That is, if you dedicate some regular practice to it.  I know it’s close.  Perhaps it would be a good idea to warn the RO of what I’m going to do so he can make sure he keeps an eye on my muzzle. 

Thanks

C84612FF-92A1-40E1-8220-1AB24ECBA9C3.jpeg

"but other shooters will often say thy thought I broke the 180." I think it's only a matter of time until you get called on it by an RO. Then you are done. Not worth the hassle or the time in my opinion.

That looks like high risk to me.

My preferred method of reloading in this situation is to drop the mag as I’m turning to run uprange (trailing the gun behind me). Grab the mag in the other hand while I’m running. When you get to the next position and turn back, complete the reload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Matt1 said:

That looks like high risk to me.

My preferred method of reloading in this situation is to drop the mag as I’m turning to run uprange (trailing the gun behind me). Grab the mag in the other hand while I’m running. When you get to the next position and turn back, complete the reload.

Yea, that’s a good method. 

Edited by Just4FunLP

Not trying to beat a dead horse... matt1s method is probably plenty fast, and less likely to give the RO a heart attack, but the photo is technically legal, right?  Just want to be clear on this.

As a side note:  A while back I wanted to shoot my XDs in a match, so I shot bug division in my one and only IDPA match.  During the match someone said I couldn’t point my muzzle over the berm during a reload.  I have no interest in IDPA anyway, so it’s really not that big a deal, but is that a legit rule?  I’d NEVER be able break that habit. :)

At that particular point in time (that the photo was taken) it looks ok. The problem is where is the muzzle going to be before and after this. Particularly after. You’d have to crank your hand even further to the right to keep the muzzle down range as you rotate your shoulder around to run.

I can’t see how that could be faster and it’s a hell of a lot riskier. Also, RO’s don’t have slowmo replay. If they think you’ve broken 180 you’re going home.

10 hours ago, Matt1 said:

Also, RO’s don’t have slowmo replay. If they think you’ve broken 180 you’re going home.

It should be "if they know you've broken 180"

I would like to see it from start to finish.  I too like the drop the mag turn, run, turn, load sequence

?

looks like it might work out if you're going left after the reload but if you have to go right you have to do a perorate to keep the muzzle downrange.

Not something I think I will add to my bag of tricks

11 hours ago, Just4FunLP said:

As a side note:  A while back I wanted to shoot my XDs in a match, so I shot bug division in my one and only IDPA match.  During the match someone said I couldn’t point my muzzle over the berm during a reload.  I have no interest in IDPA anyway, so it’s really not that big a deal, but is that a legit rule?  

Unless something has changed, IDPA allows local ranges to make that rule & USPSA does not allow that type of more restrictive local safety rule.

It is not hard to learn to keep the muzzle down, for what it is worth.

This is one of those things that is technically legal but ill-advised... it is too easy for EITHER of the two people involved - the shooter and the RO - to make a mistake that gets a DQ.  

As others have suggested, dropping the mag at the first position, grabbing the new mag while running, then seating as you come into the new, uprange position is a very fast and non-DQ-inviting approach.  

4 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Unless something has changed, IDPA allows local ranges to make that rule & USPSA does not allow that type of more restrictive local safety rule.

It is not hard to learn to keep the muzzle down, for what it is worth.

There's a local range here with that rule. They somehow are allowed IDPA and Speed Steel but USPSA has denied certification of any scores there because of this. In this case, it's a response to an incident where a stray round went into a neighboring residence. When they built the range 30+ years ago, it was out in the country. Urban sprawl has brought housing nearby. 

Edited by Mcfoto

5 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

There's a local range here with that rule. They somehow are allowed IDPA and Speed Steel but USPSA has denied certification of any scores there because of this. In this case, it's a response to an incident where a stray round went into a neighboring residence. When they built the range 30+ years ago, it was out in the country. Urban sprawl has brought housing nearby. 

Not an unusual circumstance unfortunately (ranges now close to houses or busy roads). 

I like doing everything reasonable you can before something bad happens, but that stirs debate. 

It should be "if they know you've broken 180"

Correct, but they “know” what they see so if it looks dodgy it might be judged to be dodgy. Some RO’s threshold for dodgyness might be lower than others. Best not to find out the hard way.

17 hours ago, Just4FunLP said:

I’ve been practicing it for a few months now, so maybe I’ll make a video of the intire move , and also compare it with the reload before shooting in the new position. 

how often do you have to reload while moving uprange to your left? for me it's very unusual, like maybe twice a year. I would be more likely to spend the time to just do the reload faster, and be focusing on the next position and the targets during movement, rather than the reload.

Like most others here, I prefer not to test the RO's attentiveness and training.

I will agree that it's a high risk move for little gain, if any...
It might be perceived as faster but your are running with your body torqued in an unnatural position...why fight what your body is naturally doing?

All it takes is a little stumble because you're not looking and seeing where you are going for your hand to rotate back to it's natural position - resulting in a DQ...

It might be different...it might be legal...AND it just might be faster..but WHY????
Practice what is natural so you can do that faster...
it's been said before, turn and run with the gun lagging behind and grab the mag with your left hand...get to your position, turn and finish the load as you bring the gun up to the target.

Edited by racerba
added another note

re idpa, at one of my local clubs, they allow reloads while pointing over the berm, but if finger isn't clearly and visibly outside trigger guard, it's an immediate dq and not a warning.  sort of a middle ground.

re the proposed reload method, seems fraught with risk with not a lot of upside.  have you done this in training 100x with zero issues, including running over uneven surfaces, spent brass and the like?  what happens when you trip or stumble?

All gun handling needs to be performed in a manner that is obviously above reproach from a safety perspective. That is if you want to finish the match without being DQed. Is what you are doing "Legal"? Absolutely. Is it the best reload method for that specific movement? Absolutely not.

I could shoot a stage with my gun upside down and pull the trigger with my pinky. Would it be legal? Yes. Would it be the best way to shoot the gun? No.

34 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

All gun handling needs to be performed in a manner that is obviously above reproach from a safety perspective. That is if you want to finish the match without being DQed. Is what you are doing "Legal"? Absolutely. Is it the best reload method for that specific movement? Absolutely not.

I could shoot a stage with my gun upside down and pull the trigger with my pinky. Would it be legal? Yes. Would it be the best way to shoot the gun? No.

This is it, in a nutshell.