Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CK or STI 2011?

GIO

Looking to give the 9mm 2011 platform a try (yes..late to the party) and I have narrowed my choices to a CK Arms from shooters connection, a stock STI  or a tweaked STI from Brazos. The CK is around 2,800 (with no mags), STI around 2200 and Brazo somewhere in the middle. 

I have learned not to get hung up on a few hundred bucks so that’s not an issue but I do look for value.

Is it safe to say CK has the best collection of parts and most likely closer attention to detail? 

Thoughts greatly appreciated! 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tuned HP Edge from Bob at Brazos is a sweet shooting gun. I have one in 40, his triggers are the definition of a glass rod breaking. 

That said I hear a lot of good things about CK but I've never handled his guns before. 

Edited by Descartian
Typo

I have a CK Hardcore open gun, a DVC open and two edges...after my experiences with the DVC open I’ll NEVER buy another STI. The CK is in my opinion a much better built gun and the small problems I had with it were handled with a one week turnaround. In contrast, my DVC has been at the factory since early November due to a cracked comp. I’ve been told not to expect it back until feb or March. Wtf???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you TO. Hearing lots of similar stories about current STI’s. Sad to see a good company following the common path of sacrificing quality for growth. 

I have had four guns build by Bobby under Freedom Gunworks and have purchased three CK Arms guns from Shooters Connection.  All needed to be broke in, but after the break-in period they all have ran flawlessly.  If you do have an issue Bobby will take care of it.

I have a DVC limited, Brazos hp edge, and another sti tuned by Brazos. I believe choice all comes down to preference, although the edge it's insanely flat and smooth I prefer the speed and feel of the lighter slide of the dvc. The only thing I am certain of is that a metal grip makes a huge improvement on all guns. 

Just picked up a CK Hardcore Limited 9mm from Oak Hill Guns for a very good price. Shot about 500 rounds so far with STI Gen 2 mags (does not lock back) 124 JHP Precision Delta loaded to 1.10 (for a CZ Shadow), 147 RMR at 1.160, and 121 Montana Gold at 1.120. All fed and shot around 1 inch at 20 yards. It is one of the best fit guns short of a full house custom I have seen. Plus I had a couple questions that Bobby answered immediately. CK all the way!

2 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Buy the CK in the classifieds and be done with it......

This ^^^^

gun with metal grip and mags for under $2800 and you don’t have to wait months 

i've seen a few ck's that had to go back, so while they're nice guns, they're not immune to problems.  of course the same can be said for sti.  don't think you can go wrong with a brazos edge.  you get the great sti platform and sort of an independent (but very qualified) 3rd party that goes over the gun to make sure it works and throws in a nice trigger job.  i love my brazos .40 edge and zero issues with major pf ammo (just one or two jams over the years with minor pf ammo and lighter springs).  that said i'm very happy with my various sti 2011's that haven't been touched by a 'smith, although i did drop the brazos trigger kits in those.

33 minutes ago, mike4045 said:

I would go with CK over a factory pistol or tweaked factory pistol.

What makes you think a CK is not a “factory pistol or factory tweaked pistol?”