Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compensator

eric.goodwin.376

21 hours ago, eric.goodwin.376 said:

What is the best muzzle break for running 3 gun in your opinion? I am running a factor right now and know there is something better out there. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What division are you shooting in, Tactical or Open (among others...)?  That changes what's legal.  The JP Recoil Eliminator (AKA "tank brake" :-) ) is legal for Open but not Tactical.

2 hours ago, eric.goodwin.376 said:

Tactical class is what I will be running this gun in to start but building another that I could run open with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had good luck with the JP 2 port compensator, although they have a 3 port version now.

If you want to have fun, here's an article from 2014 on testing various brakes and comps:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/jeremy-s/556-muzzle-device-shootout/

JP 2 port compensator works great. I haven't tried the JP 3 port comp.

I experimented with the Lantac Dragon for a bit. From my limited testing it appeared to shoot flatter than the JP 2 port, but I kept feeling more back blast than the JP.

There are lots. I like the JP, but also have others on some rifles. They all seem to work pretty much the same, at least not enough difference to lose sleep over. Pick a mainstream competition-oriented brake that you like the look of and move on. Low mass operating system + practice ammo will make more of a difference than that between a cheap vs. expensive brake IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Pcew73 said:

I just ordered a M4-72 just base on the reviews.  I am also interested in checking out the new Coda Evolution Fury.  Anyone have any experience with it yet?

I hope you enjoy gas blowback in your face. The M4-72 is pretty distracting to shoot behind. 

27 minutes ago, bwikel said:

I hope you enjoy gas blowback in your face. The M4-72 is pretty distracting to shoot behind. 

That is the one draw back I have heard about this one but on the flip side I've heard it bothers some more than others.  

On 1/1/2018 at 1:39 PM, STIboy said:

I have had good luck with the JP 2 port compensator, although they have a 3 port version now.

If you want to have fun, here's an article from 2014 on testing various brakes and comps:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/jeremy-s/556-muzzle-device-shootout/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/04/jeremy-s/ar-15-muzzle-brake-shootout-2/

I actually like the 3rd place finisher in the first and second test.  Both tried on exactly the same rifle.

The first one is the tried and true classic Miculek brake.  Recently tried the Miculek and I really like the design and the unbeatable price.  

The second one is the Precision Firearms brake which I didn't actually try, but I've used the one with basically the exact same design which is the PRI QC.  This one from Hardened Arms looks exactly like the PRI QC, but I've never used it and I've never heard of Hardened Arms outside of a deal found on Slickguns.   I think the clocked ports on these really help keep the gun neutral for right-handers.  Pat Kelley's second test seemed to show very neutral behavior for the Arredondo nXg comp, which has clocked ports similar to the brakes above.  The Arredondo is crazy pricey to me.

I am using the JP 3-port comp on a 308 AR build and it is incredibly flat compared to the JP 2-port that was on it before and a Dynamic resistance brake I tried for it.

I also have the Carbon Arms Gas Hog on another rifle and I really like that too.  It replaced a JP 2-port comp.  Not as neutral as the PRI QC design and maybe not even the Miculek.  But unlike the PRI QC types it doesn't have the clocked ports and I didn't clock it at all, so it may work great for lefties too.  I'm not sure how the clocked designs would work for lefties.

With all these comps tried, I really agree with what a lot of the top shooters here say.  Find a proven comp that you like (JP, Rolling Thunder, SJC, Miculek, etc.) and practice, practice, practice.  The differences between them won't be so much that it would ever improve your performance more than practice.  I don't have much time so I mess around with gear more than I practice. 

On 2/8/2018 at 9:28 AM, bwikel said:

Man Wikel you were not kidding.  I put it on today and while it keeps the gun in the same spot and follow up shots are quick I can’t take all the gas back in my face or the felt concussion.  I’m going to try the Coda fury. They are local and sponsor our state 3 gun series.  I’ll post up some results after I get it.  

Edited by Pcew73
Grammar correction

FWIW, another highly rated comp/muzzle brake in the Truth About Guns test #3 http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/10/jeremy-s/ar-15-muzzle-brake-shootout-3/ is the Voodoo Innovation Jet Comp.  Hard to find info on the Jet Comp, which dates back to D.R. Middlebrook, but the results of the TAG tests are pretty impressive, plus cost is reasonable...https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Voodoo-JETCOMP-1-2x28-LifeCoat-223-5-56-p/voodoo-fh-jetcomp556.htm 

Just got one, will test it out in a few weeks (recovering from shoulder surgery). Running the Dynamic Resistance comp, which works very well but causes some muzzle dip, I think due to 2 large top ports.

Mark