Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Blowout. Need opinion

Mac_Menamy

Good evening everyone! Recently I had a case blowout. I have received an opinion from the originator of the ammo I had used and wanted to get a second opinion of what may have caused it. I’m using a Glock 34 Gen 4 with all factory pets except the barrel (lone wolf stainless), guide rod (steel), sights, and extended slide stop. When I fired it was different but wasn’t a squid, it also shot the mag out the bottom of the gun. I have attached pictures. Any help would be much appreciated! I hope I have this in the right category! 

FC6CC785-B09B-4328-AEC4-86D879FBB33E.jpeg

You said, "it definitely wasn't a squib" - was the round before it a squib ?

If it was, the bullet might have stuck in the barrel.

Another possibility is the round was too long, and the bullet was stuck

in the rifling - was it tough to close the chamber completely?

All kidding aside, the way the case split is either of the above reasons already pointed out or it could have also been a major glock bulge in the brass before it was resized which created a weak circumference on the case prior to you shooting it.

Regardless of it having a prior bulge or not, a KB (kaboom not bang) doesn’t really happen without a mega overcharge or mega under charge.

People also talk about squibs but rarely do you hear about under charges vs over charges. Depending on the powder, being under the min charge may result in the powder detonating vs burning like it’s supposed to do.

Whatever the cause, you had an ammo issue, not a gun failure, and you got lucky. I keep MY bulged glock barrel on my bench, near my press to remind me of the risks in not paying attention.

I also thing glocks get a majorly bad rap on the bulge or kB issue due to the majority of new reloaders that just happen to be learning to reload and happen to be shooting a glock as their reloading test mule.

Glad you didn’t get injured in the ordeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More info needed. What was the supposed load? Does the person doing the reloading also reload 9mm mj? 

If this was supposed to be a minor load, it would have had to be a very bad bullet set back to cause this....and i would think that a Lone Wolf SS barrel would be more supported in that area. 

It could be a combination of issues...Bullet setback, along with a heavy powder charge, and...the gun firing slightly out of battery.

I agree with Grumpy, more info I'd needed.  Who made the ammo? a commercial remanufacturing company or Bubba?  What type of equipment?  Which powder is he using?  Where does the brass come from and how is it prepped?

The mag blowing out and the damage to the slide indicates that out of battery detonation is at least a part of it.

Thank you everyone for the responses. I know some more info is needed so I will do the best I can

9mm 147 gr Round nose extreme

3.2 gr tite group (I took some apart and they alll had 3.2-3.3gr)

1.160 OAL

this was from an actual remanufactured company (I don’t want to name names as they are making things right at the moment) 

what the owner had said was that judging by the way the case blowout that the round wasn’t fully seated in the chamber so technically the gun fired slightly out of battery. I guess what through me off was that Glocks shouldn’t fire out of batter period. But I guess like anything it could happen. 

When it happenned the slide froze. The only way to get the brass out of the chamber was to take the gun apart and then tap the barrel out with a soft mallet. That but on the slide, does that effect any function with the gun? The ammo guy said he did a die pen test or something like that and it doesn’t crack any further, also said that 3 other Glock Gen 4s he looked at had the same mark. 

I hope this answers all your questions! Thanks!

I don't think that was out of battery, blowing straight down like it did makes me think the gun was in battery and worked as designed, venting over pressure blown cases down, which is why it blew the mag out.  In these instances, people always want to blame the gun, and while I am sure sometimes that is the case, the overwhelming majority, like 99.999999999 percent of the time, it is the ammo. 

Probably 99.99% of the time, when a gun fires out of battery, it blows the bottom of the case out like that. The top of the chamber extends over the case, even if the case is not fully seated in the chamber, where as the bottom of the case, where the feed ramp is, is not fully inclosed by the chamber. 

5 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Probably 99.99% of the time, when a gun fires out of battery, it blows the bottom of the case out like that. The top of the chamber extends over the case, even if the case is not fully seated in the chamber, where as the bottom of the case, where the feed ramp is, is not fully inclosed by the chamber. 

THIS^^^

Overload, bullet setback, work hardened brass.

Has anybody ever done a controlled test on this "out of battery" stuff?

A Browning tilt-lock has the firing pin off the primer by the time it is out of battery enough to lose lockup.

One Internet Expert opined that a gun could still be in lockup but far enough out of battery to reduce "dwell time" to where there would still be high pressure as it went the last travel to unlock.  OK,  Has anybody ever done that?  I see how to set it up but don't have a gun to sacrifice. 

On 12/31/2017 at 12:11 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Have you run The Plunk Test with those rounds in Your Gun?

Sounds like it might be a little long ...  could cause overpressure ....    :)  

I don’t think this is an accurate statement at all. How would being to Long cause over pressure?  It would cause feed failures for sure if the recoil spring coulda overcome the pressure needed to close the slide but that’s a different deal.

honest question, I could be wrong in the above experience

8 hours ago, drewbeck said:

I don’t think this is an accurate statement at all. How would being to Long cause over pressure?  It would cause feed failures for sure if the recoil spring coulda overcome the pressure needed to close the slide but that’s a different deal.

honest question, I could be wrong in the above experience

It could cause over pressure as the bullet would be touching the lands of the barrel, there would be no "jump" from the case to the lands, resulting in over pressure...in essence, a spike in pressure right at the time the bullet starts leaving the case.

Doubt this is an over charge.  It is probably a weak and worn out case, but more than likely combined with slight out of battery firing.  The case can't support the pressure on its own.  We've experienced a few of these, normally slightly out of battery is the catalyst but sometimes a worn out case is all it takes.  It sounds weak because the pressure is quickly vented through the blown case and it is normally accompanied with a fair amount of smoke. 

An over or double charge of titegroup is super dangerous and will result in much more damage than you have sustained.  For all the cases I've seen let go in 9mm with normally charged loads no real damage is done other than to the brass and maybe your mental state.  A true kaboom of overcharge titegroup is much more dangerous and something to fear and imo this is not something to fear, but get your gun going into battery. 

These types of case blow outs I've noticed are worse with fast powders like titegroup than they are with the slower powders like we use for open major which normally don't even stop the gun.

I'm not a Glock expert, so please explain how you have an out of battery firing with that mechanism.  I thought the striker was blocked until the slide is fully forward.  Also, I have seen several 1911 and Glock kabooms resulting from overcharges and end result was very similar to what the OP posted. 

Edited by ltdmstr