Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullets

wingnut

Generally, FMJ is going to be considered the "best", but also the most expensive.  You can get good results from plated as long as you follow good crimp practices.  Personally, I just go with the cheapest option that gives acceptable accuracy, which coated seems to do fine for cheaper.  Just my two cents.

There are vendors that sell fmj in bulk with free shipping. If you time your purchases when they offer discounts on holidays the cost is virtually the same as coated or plated bullets. Seems like there's a sale for every holiday now. 

I have always found FMJ give me the best results both on the loading bench and on target. If you look closely RMR (Rocky mountain reloading) has prices that are as good or close enough for their FMJ offerings. My last order was for 4000 124gr FMJ 9mm and they were the same price as the cheapest plated 124 bullet I could find. Very pleased with their accuracy and customer service. 

19 hours ago, chenault said:

How do the coated shoot?  I'm thinking of going the other way.  

I cast and powder coat my own bullets. They are more accurate than plated or FMJ in my pistols though it did take some patience developing loads.

This is typical sub 1” groups at 50’:

412047423.jpg