Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most helpful tip you ever received

eric.goodwin.376

On 12/31/2017 at 11:41 AM, Jake Di Vita said:

You must allow yourself to make mistakes in training. If your technique is 100% perfect in training, you will not improve.

This.  You have to get out of your comfort zone, just a little, every time.  Burning through reps at your comfortable pace will not do much for you.  I have wasted countless hours of dry/live practice sitting in my comfort zone.  

On 1/2/2018 at 4:09 PM, 1911builder said:

"This game is 90% about movement, 5% mental, 5% shooting" 

I would say 90% mental, 5% movement, 5% Shooting

3 hours ago, NoKimberDave said:

"If you can dryfire for more than 10-15 minutes straight, you are not gripping the gun hard enough".

I would work on some hand strength!

2 hours ago, Loudgp said:

Trigger prep....Trigger Prep.. stop slapping it....    JJ

I have taken a class with JJ and taking another next month.  He talks more about the trigger then anyone I have worked with.  This is indeed a thing when shooting accurately but you can get too hung up on it and then shoot slow.  The trick is doing it on demand...moving from hosing paper to a 20 yard plate rack and back to hosing paper.  In dry fire you should practice working the trigger hard.  90% of the shots in a practical pistol match you will be working the shit out of the trigger...practice with that in mind and work on gripping the gun so you can smash the trigger without affecting your sights.  If your prepping and pressing on every shot your likely losing. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I like what CHA-LEE says, something to the effect of " USPSA is a game of movement with a little bit of shooting."
I found in my own shooting that the biggest gains come from focusing on how quickly and efficiently I move around. I don't really dry fire much and I hardly ever live-fire practice. But I think a lot about how I want to move, I visualize, and I watch videos of GM's shooting. While I am not an amazing shooter, I get great returns on what I invest in the sport by focusing mainly on movement. When I move faster, I feel less rushed to get through the shooting part of a stage. For what it's worth...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If your going to miss......Miss fast.

Target focus on targets less than 7 yards.  Stoeger said look at the target then move the gun to the target.  You look at what you want to click then you move the mouse over then click it.

Frank Garcia said in the first 5 minutes of a course he ran that there are no GM or "Insider" secrets.  The key to shooting at the top is the perfect application of perfect fundamentals every shot.  You get that by practicing perfect fundamentals, a lot.

11 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Don't know that one.  Can you elaborate?

He goes into a bit more detail, but the Reader's Digest version is:

- Transitions are like using a computer mouse.

- You just look where you want to "click" and the "mouse" arrives there. 

- If you're in a hurry, you don't muscle the mouse faster, you just process faster. Trying to muscle a mouse around will cause you more grief than just clicking where you intend to.

1 hour ago, Sliv2 said:

He goes into a bit more detail, but the Reader's Digest version is:

- Transitions are like using a computer mouse.

- You just look where you want to "click" and the "mouse" arrives there. 

- If you're in a hurry, you don't muscle the mouse faster, you just process faster. Trying to muscle a mouse around will cause you more grief than just clicking where you intend to.

Also, you don’t focus on the mouse and follow it across the screen to where you want to click. 

Try doing it this way sometimes. It’s hilariously slow. 

Just now, Sliv2 said:

Bingo. 

I’m literally sitting at my desk doing this with my mouse and it’s maddeningly slow, yet people do the shooting equivalent in matches all the time and have no idea how much time they’re wasting. 

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot with a lady who took a class from mike plaxco back in the day. He told her “let the front sight set the cadence for your shooting” things go better for me when I do that

i heard Jerry M say once “you can get away with imperfect sight alignment, but not imperfect trigger control”. That’s a biggy also.  

Edited by Tompac

The focus on the front sight tip always seems the best. I have noticed that the better I get at that the better my scores are. And for me it goes beyond just focusing on the front sight. It is being aware of it, where it is and when it is where I want it to be when I pull the trigger. It is a cool feeling for me when it almost feels like the targets are appearing in front of my sights as I focus and am aware of where the front sight is.

16 minutes ago, DukeEB said:

A good tip I received in one of my first matches "Don't get sucked into the ports"

Good one.  Something I still have to remind myself of when walking stages at times.  As RO I see shooters do this all the time and its a generally a time sync. 

JJ quote " shoot in the present".  I am applying this best I can.  I realize everytime I crash & burn that I was shooting this target, thinking about the last target or the next target not the "present" one.  The proper application of this statement has been an incredible boost in my shooting.  I am looking forward to when I finally get it locked in & apply it all the way through an entire match.