Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most helpful tip you ever received

eric.goodwin.376

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually focusing on the front sight. I had a bad habit for the longest time of switching my point of focus to the target then back to sight picture which would cause my shots to go awry. It's not until I began to really train my mind and eye to focus on that front sight throughout the whole firing process that I saw a monumental step forward.

I trained myself by verbally telling myself throughout my trigger press "front sight, front sight, front sight" until the shot broke. Making sure I wasn't transferring my focus to the target. My groups tightened up considerably and eventually it became natural but every now and again I have to remind myself, reel it back in lest I fall into bad habits again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

From Frank Garcia-He said that in a match you need to get about 93% of the available points.

From Mike Seeklander-That he would take every round he's ever fired in training BACK in order to train again, but train better.

Both super informed guys and much better shooters than I.

First was front sight focus.

Then was follow through, maintaining (trying to) that sight picture throughout the trigger pull and recoil impulse.

Now it's using the support hand to stabilize a lightweight pistol, getting that left hand in on the grip as well.

14 hours ago, thouston406 said:

Being fast doesn't matter if you didn't hit shit. In other words as stated above "you can't miss fast enough"

Which is why I like the Wyatt Earp quote:

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You must learn to be slow in a hurry"

Which is why I like the Wyatt Earp quote:

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You must learn to be slow in a hurry"
It's funny to when you take that extra .1 Second to make sure my sights are settled and sight picture is solid my overall time is much faster because I'm making less mistakes.

"if you are shooting all A's you are shooting too slow"

"Move your feet"  (a reference to the shooters that run, stop , plant, settle, shoot, then run again.)  

You CAN miss fast enough to win, but you have to miss quite quickly indeed..  (told to me after a GM beat me, with a mike, but also cut 3 seconds off my time (12 sec run vs 15 sec)

Back when I shot a lot of trap, I read a book called "Winning sure beats losing, and here's what you can do about it". Was written by a team psychologist for a sports team (Yankees or something...can't remember). Basics of the book was one of those zen type things - whether you think you can or you can't, you're usually right. He said pro baseball players go up to bat really believing they're going to knock the cover off the damn thing every time. They may not, but they don't go into it thinking they can't. 

For me, it was watching some videos online that was discussing grip strength and how that can correlate directly with controlling recoil. I have pretty small-med sized hands and need all the crushing power I can get while still keeping it light on the trigger finger. 

Local almost GM I pretend to chase around gave me a good tip, "Train to be fast first then learn to be accurate at speed.  Most guys don't ever get a good sense on how to move urgently through a stage." 

Edited by IronicTwitch