Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making safety stiffer/harder to engage

Polymer

Any of you creative people have ways to make the safety more difficult to engage so it never accidentally gets flipped up? Production legal please. CZ has the option of stiffer detent spring but tanfo uses internal spring and detent confined in the safety.

1 hour ago, happygunner77 said:

Or just get a thin safety, like Unica. 

I actually have one on order now. I'll try it out but do like the factory safety to get on thumb on it, just wish it was more stiff to not accidentally tap up.

On 12/29/2017 at 11:19 PM, Polymer said:

Any of you creative people have ways to make the safety more difficult to engage so it never accidentally gets flipped up? Production legal please. CZ has the option of stiffer detent spring but tanfo uses internal spring and detent confined in the safety.

When you fit a new one you can take just enough off so it will function as a safety but take more pressure to engage. Also the slim one is the answer your looking for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I am also looking into ways to make safety harder to engage.  I used unica, and currently using the gold team single-sided.  It's not much about left hand accidentally flipping the safety, because my main hand thumb will be pushing it down.  The problem is the sloppy feeling that the safety is moving up and down even on slight vibrations.  I'd say this is more of an user experience defect. 

I dissembled a safety that I no longer use, and found that you can take the detent out.  However, I lost the spring underneath it when I did that.  I suppose if someone knows the dimension/spec of the detent spring, I can try to make a harder spring and use that.  

Does anyone know?

The inner dia of the spring should be 0.06", outer dia 0.12".

I have a unica that is also very loose and moves with vibration or even hard swings of gun. It would be nice to have a way to tighthen it up a bit.c1f360c4b4a45f61996b446b0fbde53e.jpg

Sent from my LG-h910 using Tapatalk

On 1/1/2018 at 8:46 PM, emjei said:

I put a tiny piece of skateboard tape between the frame and safey....it helps

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Good idea.  Yeah I noticed this happening to me as well on some draws.  Haven't quite narrowed down the cause yet but I'm thinking it's when I'm drawing from an awkward position.  Or at least my body is angled differently from 99% of my normal draws.  Good idea on the tape though, as I can also take it off when shooting Limited or ESP.

3 hours ago, Dazhi said:

The closest I found was the mag release spring. It has the right od but inner dia is too small...2feebd0d1b9d8016a8930c4032b42d12.jpg

Sent from my LG-h910 using Tapatalk

Dahzi if you can find the correct ID and OD of springs here https://springs.mrspring.com/viewitems/compression-springs/compression-springs-3?  a few of us metroplex Tanfo guys would be happy to chip in on cost.