Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More Drop-in barrels in the market

Jayce

I'm looking at 2 drop-in barrels for my M&P9 FS. They're full-size barrels from True Precision and Black List Industries.

I've heard good things from both and True Precision barrels are all over Instagram.

Has anyone used one or both of these barrels?

I don't want to mess about with fitting and filing so the Apex is out. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/2/2018 at 9:41 PM, hlpressley said:

A drop in barrel isn’t likely to accomplish anything

Yes to that!

I've tried Wilson Combat and Storm Lake drop in barrels and they didn't do anything for accuracy improvement.  Apex semi-fit barrel is the way to go.  Biggest difference is fitting the pad below the barrel 'link', this is where the magic happens to keep slide and barrel locked together during the initial phase of firing (about the first 1/8" of rear ward movement before the barrel starts to unlock).

I just received a KKM barrel for my Performance Center 9L

I wanted the option of being "non Ported" when I want without getting an  entire slide separate slide.

I ran several off the shelve rounds through it yesterday (AE 147, S&B 124, Aguila 124, Blazer 124) plus some of my buddies

147 and 124 rounds.

Zero issues, accuracy out to 50 feet was as good if not better than the stock OEM barrel, fit tighter than the 

stock barrel, no lockups or issues at all.

As far as i can see KKM  is a viable option, for quite a bit less $$ than Apex.

I'm shooting steel with mine (mostly) it's plenty accurate for that

Everywhere you look there is a $20-$40 price difference between the KKM and apex barrels. I would say that’s not enough difference if one barrel preforms better then the other. I like KKM barrels, I  have used several when I ran 1911s and I have one in my 40S&W M&P for limited. But the only reason I put a KKM in my limited gun was because apex does not offer a 40S&W barrel (come on APEX). Accuracy is all about consistency, the better the fit is between the slide, frame, and barrel the better the potential for accuracy. This fit insures that the barrel returns to the same place every time the gun cycles. On top of being able to fit the barrel exactly to the gun the apex barrel is the only one that address dwell time. The locking pad and camming  surfaces are changed to keep the barrel locked up for a much longer time. I believe this is where the M&P got its poor accuracy reputation from ( the short dwell time on factory guns). I believe the KKM barrel is better then factory but it’s like the difference between a factory gun and a hand built custom. One is a bunch of parts thrown together, the other is fit so everything is perfect. 

Edited by ryan45kim
Change

• 1 month later...

I've tried a coupe of drop-in barrels with no measurable improvement in accuracy.

I've installed two Apex Semi-Fit barrels (1 x 4.25" and 1 x 5"); both needed only a small amount filed off the back of the hood. Follow the video instructions and you will see a notable improvement.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

My 1.0, 5" Pro originally shot 1 3/4" groups at 25 yards, with loads it liked.

I ran it exclusively, for one season, in IDPA and USPSA.

At the end of the season, I noticed a big burr, on the barrel, where it meets the slide, at the front of the chamber.

I was going to file the burr off, but, took it to the range and benched it. It was shooting 6" groups, which, to me is not acceptable.

I called S&W, and they sent me a call tag. When it was returned, the paperwork said no work was done, but, it looked like a blind man used a really coarse grinder, and cut the burr off.

I took it back to the range, and it still shot 6" groups.

I sent it back to S&W.

Someone from S&W called me, and said that they were replacing the barrel, because someone had been grinding on the barrel hood, but, they wouldn't admit that it was done by someone down there. When it came back, with the new barrel, I tried several different loads through it, and the best were about 4". I then bought a KKM, which would shoot 2" groups, but, only with fairly hot 115 grain jhp loads. I bought an Apex, gunsmith-fit barrel, had it installed, and it tightened up group sizes with every load I've tried, and really tries to shoot a 1" group, with my original, 124 grain, match load, but, there's always a flyer, or two, that open up the groups to about an 1 1/2". I'm hopingthat after I get more rounds through it, that it will settle in.

I have a 1.0 compact, in 9mm, that has been acceptable out to 15 yards, but, at 25 yards, it was horrible. I was hoping Apex would offer a barrel for it, but, they told me they had no plans to make a barrel for the 1.0 compacts. I was going to get a KKM, but, Optics Planet was blowing out some Storm Lake, for about half price, so I rolled the dice and bought one. It now shoots actual groups at 25 yards. Not as tight as my Pro, with the Apex, gunsmith-fit barrel, but acceptable.

• 3 months later...

I did a semi fit barrel on a core conversion kit

and it took quite a bit of stoning an filing on hood bottom lug and barrel 

so not everyone’s is easy but definitely something that any average joe with patience can do