Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is the best wight bullet for a 1:7 twist

biggair

5a47587b5afa3_16DD14LiteBurrisXTR21-5x.jpg.9500a389c14d404553aea787053e2cd0.jpg

That's a 5-shot group I shot during load development for our 16" DD 1:7 twist gov't profile barrel with 26.2 gr WC844 (H335 surplus powder), a Hornady 55gr FMJ, Wolf 223 Primer, and LC brass.  I used a Harris bipod and Burris XTR II 1-5x. Unfortunately we have two other DD 1:7 twist barrels but that load doesn't shoot well in those. Those get better results with 75-77gr OTMs.

Edited by californiasushi

Thanks! I don't really shoot 5-shot groups with the gun to be honest, just during load development and zeroing. That was the best group of the day from one of my load development sessions and here's the other best group of the day from a different load development session with different brass but still a Hornady 55gr FMJ bullet:

5a476ed4078f9_16dd14lite.jpg.3483bd0625ae0b8f8d41f7368bd36275.jpg

I shot that with the Burris XTR II 1-5x and a bipod but I remember not having a rear bag with me at the range so I just used a rolled up tripod bag or something like that so that may explain some of the vertical dispersion. I don't think groups like that would be too uncommon with that gun considering how it shoots steel but I really don't know since I'm not a fan of shooting 5x5's or anything like that. YMMV

Edited by californiasushi

I have tried 55gr, 60gr and 75gr (all Hornady) in my DD 1/7 and it likes them all, but the 75's were a little better than the others. The 55 and 60's were averaging 1" to 1/14" at 100yds and the 75gr consistantly hit 3/4".

I'd start running a variety of pills through it and see what works.  I've heard guys swear up and down that a 1:7 barrel can't shoot 55gr bullets.  My 16" Colt show 55 gr just fine... and 69 grs, and 77 grs... etc.  

Put it on paper and see.  

Also, take into account your needs.  If you're shooting paper/cans/watermelons at the range from 50-100 yards, who really cares what bullet.  If you want accuracy past 200, you will need to do more work.

• 3 weeks later...