Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger PC Carbine

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice gun; similar to the JRC in that the charging handle and thus the extraction and ejection can be moved to either side of the receiver.   To reload and recharge all with your support hand, hit the mag drop on the way to your loaded mag, stuff that and hit the bolt on your way back to the handguard.  The JRC does not have LRBHO, so the charging handle has to be fully cycled.   The mag drop on the Ruger is ambi, but left side only on the JRC.   All very time consuming, but right now that's all we have in NY in that price range (there are AR-type fully compliant PCC's currently available and at a greater cost).   

As of right now, I prefer the JRC since it has the ability to use some AR parts including some competition triggers.   I also like being able to tune my gun to my reloads using the various AR-PCC buffers and AR springs.

If anyone is using a red dot on the Ruger, please let us know how you are dealing with "dot bounce," if any ;-).   

Obviously, none of this matters if you use the gun as delivered.   Be advised, the fun factor is out of sight and your ammo bill will be as well! 

I have been shooting/testing the Ruger for almost a month. (1800rds) 

It has not malfunctioned in any way, This includes different brand ammo including hollow point and WW

White box. My 147 Bayous are 1.14 loa and 105 Bayous are 1.04 loa.

It is lightly modified with a Glock 2 port comp, added lead in the butt for balance, and a mild trigger job (polishing).

I normally shoot an AR platform with 16" JP barrel, Taccom comp, Hyperfire 24c, JP bolt and Blitz hydraulic buffer.

With the comp installed the dot movement is virtually identical in both guns, Small movement to the 2 o'clock and  back.

Without the comp, dot movement is a small right hand circle. In either configuration the dot stays in the "A" zone at 25 yds.

My reloads shot to shot with the Ruger are .3 to .6 slower due to the location of the mag release. 

Transitions are the same but splits are .02 to .04 slower. This is due to the trigger.

The trigger has very little pre travel or creep but suffers from excessive over travel. This results in a long reset and could

be corrected with a trigger stop. I believe this is the reason for the higher split times. 

Initially the trigger  pull was 4.5 lbs. After only polishing the internals, the pull is now at 4 lbs. 

At the present time no trigger/hammer parts are available from OEM or aftermarket so I am hesitant to get too aggressive

with the stones.

The trigger, sear, disconnecter  and hammer are similar to the 10/22 so when parts become available (Volquartsen?) the

trigger pull should get in the 2.5 to 3.5 area. 

Overall I am very pleased with this gun.

Edited by TxD
7 hours ago, TxD said:

I have been shooting/testing the Ruger for almost a month. (1800rds) 

It has not malfunctioned in any way, This includes different brand ammo including hollow point and WW

White box. My 147 Bayous are 1.14 loa and 105 Bayous are 1.04 loa.

It is lightly modified with a Glock 2 port comp, added lead in the butt for balance, and a mild trigger job (polishing).

I normally shoot an AR platform with 16" JP barrel, Taccom comp, Hyperfire 24c, JP bolt and Blitz hydraulic buffer.

With the comp installed the dot movement is virtually identical in both guns, Small movement to the 2 o'clock and  back.

Without the comp, dot movement is a small right hand circle. In either configuration the dot stays in the "A" zone at 25 yds.

My reloads shot to shot with the Ruger are .3 to .6 slower due to the location of the mag release. 

Transitions are the same but splits are .02 to .04 slower. This is due to the trigger.

The trigger has very little pre travel or creep but suffers from excessive over travel. This results in a long reset and could

be corrected with a trigger stop. I believe this is the reason for the higher split times. 

Initially the trigger  pull was 4.5 lbs. After only polishing the internals, the pull is now at 4 lbs. 

At the present time no trigger/hammer parts are available from OEM or aftermarket so I am hesitant to get too aggressive

with the stones.

The trigger, sear, disconnecter  and hammer are similar to the 10/22 so when parts become available (Volquartsen?) the

trigger pull should get in the 2.5 to 3.5 area. 

Overall I am very pleased with this gun.

Glad to hear!

I thought the fire control was the same as the 10/22? I read it somewhere, and you know everything on the internet is true. I was really hoping that we would be able to drop in a BX trigger and go. The one I purchased for my 10/22 broke right at 2.5 lbs., but I sold it because I got the factory stuff to 2.25 :)

15 hours ago, petrojc said:

I thought the fire control was the same as the 10/22? I read it somewhere, and you know everything on the internet is true. I was really hoping that we would be able to drop in a BX trigger and go. The one I purchased for my 10/22 broke right at 2.5 lbs., but I sold it because I got the factory stuff to 2.25 :)

Nope. Similar but different.

For example, the bottom of the hammer that resets the sear/disconnecter is a greater radius than the 10/22 hammer and will not fit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked one up. Not at all like the POS Kel-tec and only bits of the trigger group and takedown system seem like a 10/22. Really well made, stock is solid, good sights, etc. 

Not sure what I will use it for but I have a bunch of Glock mags and pissed away 550 in much dumber ways so...probably a good way to try PCC or some steel matches that don’t require a reload. 

This has been very interesting for me.

I want to try my hand at some PCC but the price of the gun I want is holding me back.

With this only being $550ish I could come play a lot sooner.

However I would really like my PCC to be the same as my AR 15-22 that I currently use at our local 2 gun, so that's the biggest thing making me hold off.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one and had a chance to shoot it a little over the weekend.  Accuracy seems good with the iron sights.  I put a FF3 on it and enjoyed that quite a bit.  I thought the recoil impulse was mild and the bolt was quiet.  I liked the trigger a lot, but once any trigger is under 5lbs and doesn't have a bunch of weird creep, I don't notice them that much.  I shot some 115 grain PMC and some 124gr handloads and both ran fine with no problem.  I only used glock mags.

So, I realize I have not shot it a lot, and no matches with it or anything, but I do like it.  It feels really solid and for whatever reason, I love that it is a takedown.  

• 2 weeks later...

Initial review of the Ruger PCC and the TACCOM upgrades.

I bought this as an entry into PCC, mostly for steel challenge and the occasional USPSA match. I can't compare to an AR 9mm since I've not used one. I'm mostly comparing to my 10/22 since they are so similar.

The gun is about 1.5 lbs heavier than my Ruger 10/22 which has a TACSOL barrel and hogue stock. There is some weight further forward but most of it feels like it sits on the bolt right above the firing hand. The gun balances around the magwell.

The takedown is only usful to our sport for cleaning, but I wish it wasn't there. I think it adds weight and an unneeded point of failure. For example the first time I shot it during steel challenge the barrel came unlocked during my first two strings. I had tightened the lockring using the instruction manual, but apparently not enough. On recoil the locking tab was disengaging and my support hand grip was twisting the barrel assemby off. This was quickly fixed by tightening the locking ring until it takes some real pressure to install/remove (only 2-3 more "clicks")

The iron sights are very adequate, but if I was using them I would want a front fiber optic (which is not available at this time).

The stock has rail slots forward on the foreend where I put a hand stop. A little bit forward for my preference, but you could also put a laser there.

The comb looks like it might be replaceable, but it is not. It sits in between where you would want it for the very low irons or even a low mounted red dot. I added a stick on 1/4 in cheeck riser. If using a AR height red dot you'll need to build up the comb area to match.

The little things they did like using the same sized Allen bolts for take down, and captured bolts to attach stock and receiver are nice touches. It is easier to strip and reassemble than a 10/22. Not as easy as an AR obviously. But who cleans their guns ?

The built in rail on the receiver is also a nice touch.

I havent decided yet about the TACCOM replacement butt pad. The stock pad is very nice but does tend to stick to clothing when you shoulder / ddismount the gun (which is fixed by the aftermarket pad). I'll probably swap the stock one back and forth to see what I prefer. The stock does have a good range of adjustment through the included spacers.

The trigger is actually pretty good for a stock gun. It pulls at about 4.5 pounds. It could benefit from an over travel stop. I'm waiting for someone to post instructions on what 10/22 parts will work to improve the trigger. It is way better than a stock AR trigger, but that is a low bar.

The magazine release is a little disappointing. I wish a genius at Ruger had figured out how to release with the firing hand, but it's not the end of the world. The TACCOM replacement part (seen in video posted above) is an excellent compromise. It is an extended drilled and tapped release with a large plastic button. This drops the magazines very well with a slap from the palm of the support hand. The button is not so large that it will release the magazine on a loaded table start, which shows the thought that went into this upgrade.

I'm using glock magazines and have had no problem at all with 17, 33, and 48 round mags. I highly recommend the TACCOM magwell for this gun. It makes the opening huge and doesn't hang up at all without any blending.

The ability to move the charging handle to the left side is great, but could be better. The stock charging handle is a bit short, and there is no relief cut into the left side of the stock which makes it seem even shorter. I don't have hands on the TACCOM replacement yet but I'll order it soon.

Recoil in this gun is... different. The feel has much more of a push I think due to the cycling of the heavy bolt. I initially compared bulk 115 to my 147gr production load and the 115 was hands down better. The 147 felt like there was the recoil of firing and then the recoil of the bolt moving with a delay in between.

The threaded muzzle let me install a muzzle brake. Adding a muzzle brake made both of those loads better and dramatically changed the 147s to be preferable over the federal bulk 115s. I also shot a friend's 135 PCC specific handload which was better still. The chamber is on the short side, but it is not prohibitively short like some do it yourself AR 9s suffer from. Im sure I can find a great load for this gun.

The only similar carbine I can compare it to is my 10/22. When I shot them at a steel challenge side by side I was 8 seconds (~12÷) slower over 7 stages with the PCC. The fact that I did shoot 3 of those stages faster with the PCC tells me that once I get over the learning curve they will be about the same for me.

All in all if it's running pretty close to a 10/22 race gun, I think that's a pretty good good performance.

The only must do upgrade for steel challenge is the muzzle brake. The magazine release and magwell also are probably a must for USPSA. The charging handle will be nice to have. Trigger upgrades will be appreciated as they come out over time.

Hope that info is helpful to you guys.

NICE write up!!......couple of things, updates, etc.

The TACCOM charge handle will be available on Monday 3/26....and you will like it.

We also have a machined mag funnel coming out, looks nicer, but I personally have zero issues with the 3d printed one.

Running low on the short 9mm muzzle brakes but more coming in next week......the longer 9mm muzzle brake will work great if you can't wait.

Triggers......you are gonna maybe like this.......

I purchased a complete Volquartsen 10/22 trigger kit from MidwayUSA for $138......now I set the 10/22 buffer, mag release and bolt release aside......used all the other parts I believe and the trigger is much nicer. It was actually cheaper to buy it that way than to buy the parts I needed. separately. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/928141815/volquartsen-high-performance-action-parts-kit-plus-ruger-10-22

SIGHTS.......

yeah....you'll wanna do something like a Burris fast fire, vortex venom or the new Holosun 507C (3 weeks???).......and yes, I added a 1/4" thick cheek-ease pad to mine

We'll end up having a complete competition package for the Ruger PC Carbine in the next week or so to make that rifle totally competitive for sure!!!

Edited by TRUBL

My buddy just bought one. Mag release is fine, very natural position, drop the mag and reach for a new one. The trigger isn’t too bad. The gun is hefty but I think my Storm may be even heavier. If I didn’t already have a 9mm PCC, I’d give this a go because I already have the mags. For the gun, a red dot and some mags, you could start shooting PCC for around $700. 

On 3/23/2018 at 12:07 PM, TRUBL said:

NICE write up!!......couple of things, updates, etc.

The TACCOM charge handle will be available on Monday 3/26....and you will like it.

We also have a machined mag funnel coming out, looks nicer, but I personally have zero issues with the 3d printed one.

Running low on the short 9mm muzzle brakes but more coming in next week......the longer 9mm muzzle brake will work great if you can't wait.

Triggers......you are gonna maybe like this.......

I purchased a complete Volquartsen 10/22 trigger kit from MidwayUSA for $138......now I set the 10/22 buffer, mag release and bolt release aside......used all the other parts I believe and the trigger is much nicer. It was actually cheaper to buy it that way than to buy the parts I needed. separately. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/928141815/volquartsen-high-performance-action-parts-kit-plus-ruger-10-22

SIGHTS.......

yeah....you'll wanna do something like a Burris fast fire, vortex venom or the new Holosun 507C (3 weeks???).......and yes, I added a 1/4" thick cheek-ease pad to mine

We'll end up having a complete competition package for the Ruger PC Carbine in the next week or so to make that rifle totally competitive for sure!!!

Good stuff

10 hours ago, DesertTortoise said:

So $550 for the rifle, $130 for a volquartsen trigger set, and $125 for all the TACCOM parts puts you at $805 with taxes and shipping added as needed.

How does that compare in terms of price with to a similarly equipped AR 9 ? (Not including optics, etc)

In our neck of the woods......we are seeing $500-$525 and at under $800.......I'd go Ruger over the AR