Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the best way to clean a stainless cylinder?

twister

a brass brush and hoppes #9 with some elbow grease

if you're trying get rid of every bit of discoloration, use one of those lead remover clothes

https://shop.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/solvents/lead-remover-cloth-6-x-9--sku167000060-59702-124658.aspx?cm_mmc=PPC-_-Itwine-_-Google-_-167-000-060&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyZLSBRDpARIsAH66VQLPGEnJpy8VDlUUapOgUUGcMtOBr96krmTpPDcpk3xHETox3alJ4tIaAulwEALw_wcB

( do not use on a blued gun, WILL remove bluing ) 

I have always used the lead remover cloths.  You can clean the face of your cylinder and make it look like it is unfired with them.  Be careful as they are abrasive so they work great for stainless guns but only use on blued guns where you wont affect the bluing. 

I shot mine so much this summer that when I cleaned it a buddy said, "hey you got a new gun!" I said no it's the same one I have been shooting. He said, "No! The other one was blued."

LOL

Edited by Dr. Phil

for the chambers, I use a .40 cal stainless brush on my Milwaukie drill and for the outside of cylinder, I use butch's bore shine and a stainless steel brush.   on the bore, if I have been using lead, then I will dip it in a 50/50 mix of peroxide and white vinegar for about 1 hour, do a brushing with a 38 cal stainless brush and spray the whole thing down with contact cleaner.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner with the Lyman concentrate.  Heat turned on and run for 20-30 mins.  After rinsing in hot water, blow dry with compressed air, use a stainless steel brush and it;s clean.  Just a light staining on the face which will come off with the lead cloths.

Place the cylinder in a large prescription pill bottle and fill with Hoppes #9 until covered. Let sit several hours, over night works great. Afterwards it is mostly just wipe off, cylinder face may still need a brass brush, but not much elbow grease. Bottle full of Hoppes can be capped and saved for next time.