Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stick's Training, Range and Match Log Diary

stick

14 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Looks to me like you might be able to get the rifle up faster/earlier approaching the corner ??

Seems like you run to the corner, peak around the corner and then bring the gun up.

Yes! I agree totally.  That's what I'm focusing on from box to box also.  I'm thinking I can get ready to shoot before I reach the corner.  

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1/15/18

Weekly area of focus:  Transitions and lateral movement

Dry fire Drills to complete this week:

1.       Transitions from box to box (develop par time)  Standing in right box with gun on target, move laterally to the left switching the gun to the left shoulder before you reach the corner, mount gun and be ready to fire before reaching the corner. From the left box, move laterally right mounting the gun on the right shoulder.  Be prepared to shoot target when reaching the corner.

2.       El Presidente (for transitions and reloads)

a.       Set par time for 5 seconds

3.       Up and down transitions (from Ben Stoeger’s book Dry fire training)

a.       Engage each target with two rounds (alternating which target you start with)

b.      Par time is 1.8 seconds

1/16/18

1.       Transitions from box to box (develop par time)  Standing in right box with gun on target, move laterally to the left switching the gun to the left shoulder before you reach the corner, mount gun and be ready to fire before reaching the corner. From the left box, move laterally right mounting the gun on the right shoulder.  Be prepared to shoot target when reaching the corner.  I worked probably the longest on this today.  I was doing some dry runs and really focusing on the mounting of the gun before I got to the corner.  I was even with the par time on the hot runs (With the PCC).  I removed the boxes for a few runs and it felt better get the gun mounted before I got to the corner.  I feel this was very beneficial training today.  I believe this training will help me reduce some non shooting time and that I will be better prepared to shoot when I get to a corner or port.

a.       Set par time for 5 seconds

I was feeling really good about this drill again.  On a few runs, I noticed I noticed that I squeezed off the first round before I have a really good "A" zone sight picture.  I was rushing slightly.  I also got a little lazy on a couple of mag changes and the mag fell out of the gun.  I feel more adequately prepared doing reloads on the clock now that I use dummy rounds in the magazine.

a.       Engage each target with two rounds (alternating which target you start with)

b.      Par time is 1.8 seconds

I totally skipped this drill tonight.  I worked with my daughter on mounting the gun from low ready.  When she said the sight is in the lower right corner of the lens.  When I looked through her C-more, it looked centered.  I'm thinking she has developed an astigmatism.  She had no problem with her Savage 243 with a Vortex Diamondback HP.  Are C-mores astigmatism free?  Time to google some info for her.

1/17/18

1.       Transitions from box to box (develop par time)  Standing in right box with gun on target, move laterally to the left switching the gun to the left shoulder before you reach the corner, mount gun and be ready to fire before reaching the corner. From the left box, move laterally right mounting the gun on the right shoulder.  Be prepared to shoot target when reaching the corner.  Transitions are smoother and feeling more comfortable.  I like that I'm preparing to shoot before I get to the corner.  When I reach the corner and turn on target the gun is ready to fire once I have a sight picture.  I need to ensure that while running left, I keep the gun off my shoulder as long as possible.  No safety issues with the 180 rule.  Running right is not a problem and the transitions seems slightly faster.

a.       Set par time for 5 seconds  Par time seems good for now.  I need to ensure that I'm getting a good "A" zone sight picture on the first shot.  some of the runs the shots were low left.  I'm anxious to run this in live fire and my differences in time from dry fire.

b.      Par time is 1.8 seconds  from low ready with the PCC, the 1.8 second par time was quick.  From Port Arms, I was getting in the shots and transitions fine.  I might be getting a little lazy with mounting the gun from low ready.  The 1.8 par time is definitely a challenge.

1/18/18

1.       Transitions from box to box (develop par time)  Standing in right box with gun on target, move laterally to the left switching the gun to the left shoulder before you reach the corner, mount gun and be ready to fire before reaching the corner. From the left box, move laterally right mounting the gun on the right shoulder.  Be prepared to shoot target when reaching the corner.  Ok, so the weather is 35 degrees in Florida today.  I waited and did this dry fire drill last.  I've been noticing some tenderness and soreness in my right knee.  I don't want to aggravate it before my USPSA match Saturday, so I only did a few runs at half speed.  I focused on transitioning side to side and mounting the gun and preparing to fire when reaching the corner of the shed. 

a.       Set par time for 5 seconds  This drill is feeling really good right now.  I'm almost feeling I need to drop the par time down to 4.9 or 4.8 seconds.  I can't wait to shoot this drill in a classifier to judge my dry fire times to live fire. (I know I will be slower in live fire).  I still need to ensure that I get a good sight picture and call good shots on the targets. 

b.      Par time is 1.8 seconds  I alternated starts targets and positions (Low ready and port arms)  If you label the targets A, B, C (where B is the lower of the three targets) My sequence was A,B,C from low ready and port arms, C,B,A from low ready and port arms and B,C,A from low ready and port arms.  

I'm anxious to shoot the USPSA match Saturday (Jan 20) to see what progress I've made in my training.  Typically, this club isn't PCC stage friendly.  By that I mean, They usually have tight walls and barricades with small windows and ports.  I'm ready to start my mental preparation and stage planning.  I've made some mental mistakes before asking other shooters their plan after I had settled on mine.  I won't be doing that anymore!  I was reading Nimitz's range log and he set his training goal for 2018. Here is a copy of what he said (quoted from his training page)

I’ve eliminated all ‘results based’ activities from my training.  I’ve concluded that it’s difficult to eliminate results based thinking in competitions when you’re focused on results in training.  Therefore, my training this year will be process orientated instead.  I’ve stopped recording anything that has to do with results; stage times, par times, etc and instead my training journal will only have things which have to do with the process of executing proper shooting techniques and any issues I uncover that I need to find solutions for.  I’ve also stopped recording match results (stage times, match times, etc).

I agree mostly with what he said except I'm not a GM in steel challenge, so I feel that I still need to track my results from dry fire training.  I'm shooting Steel Challenge on his squad Feb 3rd.  I'll talk with him about his new concept and I'll get a better understanding of his thought process on why he's making the change.  I'm lucky that I have the opportunity to get inside the head of a GM.  I've known Ken for a number of years now and he's a standup guy. 

1/20/18

Shot the USPSA match at Ok Corral today.  Our second stage was classifier CM99-28.   Only hiccup, after the reload, I look down for a split second.  I thought the magazine fell out.  Otherwise, it was a decent run.

Here are the results from the USPSA Match.  I ended up coming in 8th out of 81 shooters.  I'm very happy with my results today.  I can really tell that the dry fire training is really starting to pay off.  I had a small hiccup on the classifier when I looked down for a split second when I thought the mag fell out of the gun.  

Match synopsis:  My transitions and reloads were really good (only had 2 reloads. #1 was a classifier and #2 was another stage requiring a reload).  Transitions seemed very smooth and just seemed to flow.  My movement was ok.  I really didn't push it hard this week during training because of my sore right knee.  on a few stages, I could have went from low ready to first shot faster.  I'm also still going to work on movement and mounting the gun faster as this is where I think I could have saves a few seconds.  I lost a few seconds on stage 5 due to a plate on the plate rack not falling. (I hit it three times)  All in all, today was a good day and it reinforces that my dry fire training is really working to improve my shooting.

First set of scores are overall (names changed for security)  148 A's, 2 B's, 25 C's 0 D, M & NPM

Second set of scores are individual stage scores.  #6 was the classifier CM99-28.  (Video is above this post)

Name
%
% possible
Div
Class
PF
A
B
C
D
M
NPM
NS
XXX 100 821.27 97.81 94.4 CO B MINOR 127 2 39 4 2 0 0
XXX 94.39 775.212 106.44 89.1 Limited M MAJOR 122 2 44 3 3 0 1
XXX 91.93 754.977 111.94 86.78 Limited M MAJOR 116 5 44 8 1 0 0
XXX 90.07 739.756 109.37 85.03 CO A MINOR 124 0 42 7 1 0 0
XXX 89.83 737.731 112.05 84.8 Limited C MAJOR 109 1 49 14 1 0 0
XXX 86.33 709.028 123.16 81.5 CO C MINOR 141 0 33 0 0 0 0
XXX 83.08 682.348 117 78.43 PCC B MINOR 117 2 50 3 2 0 0
8-Michael Scott 82.33 676.192 132.77 77.72 PCC C MINOR 148 2 24 0 0 0 0
XXX 79.02 648.954 125.95 74.59 CO U MINOR 126 5 38 4 1 0 0
XXX 78.52 644.823 132.3 74.12 Limited C MAJOR 112 4 53 2 0 0 0

# % St points points HF Time Class Member A B C D M NPM NS
1 - Fast 85.28 119.3882 136 8.313 16.36 PCC A78613 26 2 0 0 0 0 0
2 - Works For Me 96.43 57.8557 58 7.2229 8.03 PCC A78613 11 0 1 0 0 0 0
3 - Think Inside 90.76 127.0693 132 7.8478 16.82 PCC A78613 24 0 4 0 0 0 0
4 - Should I Sta 92.52 148.037 146 6.6303 22.02 PCC A78613 25 0 7 0 0 0 0
5 - More Windows 84.77 127.1536 142 4.3612 32.56 PCC A78613 26 0 4 0 0 0 0
6 - Hillbillton  80.6 48.3595 52 6.9333 7.5 PCC A78613 8 0 4 0 0 0 0
7 - Two Poppers 100 160 152 5.156 29.48 PCC A78613 28 0 4 0 0 0 0

PCC Dry fire Schedule for the week of 1/21/18 -1/27/18

Weekly area of focus:  Steel Challenge match in two weeks.  Training will be focused on transitions and shooting small dots at speed

1.       Plate rack drills (From Dry-Fire Training)

a.       2 second par time

2.       Transition Drills from dot to dot and a combination of dot to square

3.       El Presidente modified with hard cover to improve transitions and shot placement

Edited by stick

1/21/18

a.       2 second par time  2 seconds is awfully fast.  I'm not that fast.  I need more work on this drill.  I'll have to push it this week to see if i can get the required shots in.

2.       Transition Drills from dot to dot and a combination of dot to square I got a little lazy on the transitions from dot to dot.  the dots that I'm using are 1 inch dots.  i found myself blowing right by the dot and I was trying to squeeze off a round on the way by.  The square targets are 2 inches.  I was using them for stop plates on the dots.

3.       El Presidente modified with hard cover to improve transitions and shot placement  So I totally blew this drill today.  I shot it with full targets.  on a positive note, I got the time down to 4.75.  I need to switch out these targets before I screw up this drill again tomorrow.  The reloads still feel really good.  I like the dummy rounds in the magazine.  It simulates the weight of a real mag and I find it beneficial in classifiers. (Seeing I shoot PCC and carry 41 in my big stick)

1/22/18

a.       2 second par time  I entirely forgot what I was practicing for.  I'm so used to USPSA that I forgot I was running these drills for Steel Challenge.  Yesterday and Today, I started at port arms and I was missing the 2 second par time by .1 to .3 seconds.  I then realized that I was practicing for steel challenge and I started at low ready.  At low ready, I was consistently making the par time of 2 seconds.  I'm doing these dry fire drills indoors and I'm using 1 inch white dots spaced about 1 inch apart.  I'm standing roughly 7-8 feet away.  This seems to simulate the plate rack pretty well.  I'm thinking of running these drills this week and next.  I'll have to see how i feel about my progress at the end of the week.

2.       Transition Drills from dot to dot and a combination of dot to square If I change any drill at the end of the week. it will be this one.  I'm thinking that this is just a transition drill from dot to dot and square to dot and vice versa.  I need specific drills to quantify my practice.  Par times to race against and to gauge my performance.  I'll have to do some more research and googling to find some steel challenge specific drills. 

3.       El Presidente modified with hard cover to improve transitions and shot placement  This is harder than it looks with hard cover.  The first target had hard cover angled from the bottom left to the top right through the "A" zone.  The middle target had hard cover across the target half way through the "A" zone.  The third target was opposite of the first.  I had the par time set for 5 seconds and missed quite a few runs.  Indexing on the first target with hard cover took longer than indexing on a normal target.  The transition from target to target was relatively easy since I was pretty much already indexed on the correct spot on the target. (All I had to do was to drive the gun from target to target).  Eventually I'll need to make it really hard and use headshot only and zebra stripes to change my indexing points from target to target.  Once I got the indexing down, I was just barely beating the par time of 5 seconds. 

1/23/18

What a totally frustrating day.  Being off, I decided to live fire since I had to sight in my daughters PCC.  My typical hour drive to the range took over two hours with a fatality on I-95.  I get to the range and sight in my Daughters gun in 6 shots.  I wanted to get some chrono data for her new barrel.  I load up my mag to verify my chrono data for my PCC.  Five rounds into my chrono, My barrel decides to get a stepped piece of brass stuck in it.  Totally frustrated, I drive home.  I ended up pulling my barrel and installing my daughters barrel in my gun (She has a gen2 pcc barrel).  I bore sighted my gun at 25 yards.  Now I need to verify my zero before the steel challenge match on February 3rd.

So...I decide to dry fire since I couldn't live fire.

a.       2 second par time  From low ready on a simulated plate rack, I'm either just getting in all the shots, or just missing.  The dots are really small and I'm noticing that I'm driving the gun past the next dot.  Transitions, transitions, transitions.  

2.       Transition Drills from dot to dot and a combination of dot to square Again, the dots are small and I'm driving past the dot.  My thinking is Aim small, miss small.  If I can practice with very small targets, when i get to the real thing, I'll be able to stop on them better.

3.       El Presidente modified with hard cover to improve transitions and shot placement  5 second par time with hard cover for transitions.  from low ready and port arms.  Low ready was faster when i got a good cheek weld on the gun and brought it straight up  i was able to pick up the dot faster.  From port arms, I'm slower getting the gun on target.  I'll have to work on this again in the near future.

So my post yesterday detailed my frustration at the range with my PCC.  It was the first time I had a problem with the gun.  When the gun first went click and not bang, my first thought was the firing pin/spring since it's a known issue with 9mm AR's and Hiperfire triggers.  So today, I perform a detailed strip/clean of the gun and look what I find.  A broken firing pin spring.

Not to Self:  When at the range checking for a broken firing pin or firing pin spring, take the spring off the firing pin and actually check it.

If I had bothered to take off the spring and check it, I would have been able to finish my practice session.  I have two extra in my range bag.

9mm firing pin spring.jpg

1/24/18

a.       2 second par time  This drill really has me thinking about speed, my dot and trigger control/manipulation.  Since I'm preparing for steel challenge, I'm practicing low ready.  Tomorrow, I'm going to push this drill and see if i can drop the par time down to 1.8 or 1.7. Keep in mind that I'm not trying to race the timer, but I'm trying to push myself faster ensuring that I'm still smooth on the trigger, seeing the sights or dot in my case and driving the gun from target to target with a good sight picture in which I can call my shots.

2.       Transition Drills from dot to dot and a combination of dot to square The small dots and squares are easy to miss on transitions.  I'm not as much worried about over transitioning because of the small size of the dot.  Today, I was driving the gun right past the target by a couple of inches.  I might switch to larger dots for a day or two to see if my gun driving stops on target better.  Maybe I need to use the small dots for half speed drills?

3.       El Presidente modified with hard cover to improve transitions and shot placement  From low ready 5 seconds is doable.  from port arms, I'm missing my par time.  I worked more on low ready than port arms.  Remember I'm preparing for a steel challenge match.  I still practice the reloads and every now and then I get lazy and don't slam in the mag and it falls out.  Again, another reason I like using a mag filled with dummy rounds.  It won't let you cheat and it simulates a real life reload in a match.  I'm thinking I need to spread these targets out a little farther to work a little more on transitions and driving the gun.

1/25/18

a.       2 second par time  I dropped the par time to 1.9 seconds.  I was rushing the shots and not getting a good cheek weld on the gun.  When I got the correct cheek weld and brought the gun straight up from low ready, I was either just making the time or just missing the buzzer.  

2.       Transition Drills from dot to dot and a combination of dot to square Still over transitioning target to target with the small one inch dots.  I want to drive the gun fast and I swing right by the target.  I'm still contemplating going to 2 or 3 inch dots to see if I correct the problem.  

3.       El Presidente modified with hard cover to improve transitions and shot placement  Nothing new.  5 seconds to hard cover targets.  the reloads are still good.  

I'm definitely going to change the drills next week.  I'm not feeling any improvement from the beginning of the week until now.  I'm going to search online for some mock up models of the steel challenge stages and possibly work on some muscle memory drills in preparation for the match.

1/26/18

Extremely sloppy dry fire session tonight.  I'm taking tomorrow off and I definitely will be changing my routine for next week.

a.       2 second par time  Par time down to 1.9 seconds from low ready

2.       Transition Drills from dot to dot and a combination of dot to square As I have mentioned al week, The dots are small and I'm driving the gun right past them.  Sloppy transitions, slow driving the gun

3.       El Presidente modified with hard cover to improve transitions and shot placement  Very sloppy on this drill tonight.  I wasn't seating the mag correctly and it kept falling out of the gun.  I had to stop with the drill and just do 10-15 drills seating the mag all the way into the gun. Very frustrating.  Today seemed like i took a step back today with all of the sloppy drills. 

Time to research some drills for steel challenge. 

PCC Dry fire Schedule for the week of 1/28/18 -2/3/18

Weekly area of focus:  Steel Challenge match in one week.  Training will be focused on transitions and shooting small dots at speed and reloads using weighted dummy mags.  (I know you don't reload in Steel Challenge, but I'm developing a pretty fast reload and I don't want to loose it)

Dry fire Drills to complete this week:  This might take longer than my 10-15 minutes.  I'll have to time it and see.

1.       2 Reload 2 (From Refinement and Repetition)

a.       3 second par time

i.      3 with no par time

ii.      3 @ .2 above par time

iii.      3 @ baseline (3 seconds)

iv.      3 @ .1 below baseline (2.9 seconds)

2.       1x6 (From Refinement and Repetition)

a.       4 second par time

ii.      3 @ .2 above par time

iii.      3 @ baseline (4 seconds)

iv.      3 @ .1 below baseline (3.9 seconds

3.       The Hopkins

a.       Drill 1: Engage dots in the following order: 1, 6 , 2, 5, 3, 4  (5.5 Second Par Time)

b.      Drill 2: Engage dots in the following order: 6, 1, 5, 2, 4, 3  (5.5 Second Par Time)

c.       Drill 3: Engage dots in the following order: 6, 8, 3, 1  (3 Second Par Time)

d.      Drill 4: Engage dots in the following order: 1, 7, 4, 6  (3 Second Par Time)

Edited by stick

1/28/18

Dry fire Drills to complete this week:  This might take longer than my 10-15 minutes.  I'll have to time it and see.

a.       3 second par time  Par time was way too high.  I dropped it down to 2.50

i.      3 with no par time  Feeling the motion of what the drill should be.  

ii.      3 @ .2 above par time  This was totally useless  and I'm removing it from the set.  

iii.      3 @ baseline (3 seconds)  New baseline will be 2.50 from low ready and 2.70 from port arms

iv.      3 @ .1 below baseline (2.9 seconds)  Adjusted to 2.49 from low ready and 2.69 from port arms

2.       1x6 (From Refinement and Repetition)  1 shot to each body, reload and 1 shot to each head.

a.       4 second par time  I couldn't reach the par time.  consistently over by .4 or .5.  

i.      3 with no par time  I worked both low ready and port arms

ii.      3 @ .2 above par time  more like .4 or .5 over

iv.      3 @ .1 below baseline (3.9 seconds)  I struggled with this drill reaching the par time.  I feel that my problem was with the head shots.  I was slow on the heads.  This will be a good drill for me to work on this week.  I'll have to see how the week progresses with me achieving the par time.

3.       The Hopkins

a.       Drill 1: Engage dots in the following order: 1, 6 , 2, 5, 3, 4  (5.5 Second Par Time)

b.      Drill 2: Engage dots in the following order: 6, 1, 5, 2, 4, 3  (5.5 Second Par Time)

c.       Drill 3: Engage dots in the following order: 6, 8, 3, 1  (3 Second Par Time)

d.      Drill 4: Engage dots in the following order: 1, 7, 4, 6  (3 Second Par Time)

The first 2 drills were adequate for transitions. I was consistently beating the 5.5 par time.  The last two drills, I made the par time, but I was going to the wrong dots.  I think as the week goes on, I'll do a better job going to the right dot.  My only concern was the first two drills have you transition past the dot to come back to it.  for example, drill one is 1, 6, 2, 5, 3, 4.  in a match, If I was presented with the same set of targets, I would shoot it descending, but its a drill for transitions so ill follow the drill.

1/29/18

a.       2.5 second par time from low ready & 2.6 second par time from port arms

ii.      3 @ baseline (2.5 seconds low ready & 2.6 port arms)

iii.      3 @ .1 below baseline (2.49 seconds from LR & 2.59 from PA)  This drill at 2.50 seconds was a good test today.  The 2.49 was pushing it and I did make the par time on a few reps.  I only practiced Low ready today.  

a.       4 second par time

ii.      3 @ .2above par time

iv.      3 @ .1 below baseline (3.9 seconds  This drill was better than yesterday.  The one on each target and  the reload is easy.  It's the headshots that are slowing me down.  I was either right at the par time or just over.  Yesterday, i was way over.  Isn't this why we dry fire practice?  With each passing day, I'll get better.  Funny I haven't practiced headshots on three targets since my IDPA days years ago.  I haven't encountered any USPSA matches lately that require headshots on three consecutive targets.  The three consecutive headshots are a deficiency in my training right now.  This drill might carry over next week or until I can consistently meet the par time.

3.       The Hopkins

a.       Drill 1: Engage dots in the following order: 1, 6 , 2, 5, 3, 4  (5.0 Second Par Time) will try 4.8 or 4.7

b.      Drill 2: Engage dots in the following order: 6, 1, 5, 2, 4, 3  (5.0 Second Par Time)  will try 4.8 or 4.7

c.       Drill 3: Engage dots in the following order: 6, 8, 3, 1  (3 Second Par Time)  will try 2.9 or 2.8 on drill 3 and 4

d.      Drill 4: Engage dots in the following order: 1, 7, 4, 6  (3 Second Par Time)  This drill was actually a lot easier today since I had some idea where the dots were going to be.  I dropped the par times from yesterday and I'll probably drop them again slightly on my next dry fire training.  This is a good drill for steel challenge transitions.

1/31/18

a.       2.5 second par time from low ready & 2.6 second par time from port arms  This drill is going smoothly.  I need to push it harder and see if i can drop the par time down .1-.2 and still be smooth and efficient in my motions.

a.       4 second par time  This drill continues to kick my ass on the head shots.  I'm not having an issue transitioning, I'm just a little slow ensuring that I get the sight picture I need before I pull the trigger.

3.       The Hopkins

a.       Drill 1: Engage dots in the following order: 1, 6 , 2, 5, 3, 4  (4.8 Second Par Time)

b.      Drill 2: Engage dots in the following order: 6, 1, 5, 2, 4, 3  (4.8 Second Par Time)

c.       Drill 3: Engage dots in the following order: 6, 8, 3, 1  (2.8 Second Par Time)

d.      Drill 4: Engage dots in the following order: 1, 7, 4, 6  (2.8 Second Par Time)  Now that I got the order down, the drill is working the way it should.  Transitions are good and I'm driving the gun and transitioning with my lower body.  I dropped the par times down .2 on each drill.  I need to push it and drop the par time again another .1 or .2 and see how it goes.

Tomorrow, I plan on doing some dry fire.  I made some changes to my PCC and I need to re zero my C-more.  I put in a newer model PCC specific barrel at least i took my daughters newer barrel when i put a taccom barrel in her PCC.  I also installed the Taccom 3 stage buffer system in mine and my daughter's PCC.  Her gun functions fine.  I'm concerned about mine.  I noticed some miss feeds/double feeds when I was chambering some dummy rounds.  I also noticed my dummy mag for reloads is broken/damaged.  

2/1/18

Live Fire Training/Function Test

I got a chance to go to the range and sight in the C-more again (Since I changed the barrel)  I've been having a problem with my forged lower not feeding rounds from Glock 33 round mags.  I tested 33 round ETS and 17 Glock mags without fail.  my 33 round Glock magazines and my Taylor Freelance 41 round mags would load from bolt open or charging with the charging handle.  I had a detailed conversation with PSA and I'll be sending the gun back Monday for a ramped barrel.  Since I'm shooting steel challenge Saturday and Sunday, I'll be able to use the ETS and 17 Round Glock mags.

Here's a little from my training session.  I shot the plate rack from 15 yards and my PCC was spot on.  I wish my timer would have picked up the shots.  I would like to see how fast I was shooting.  My transitions seemed fast enough since i was basically ensuring the gun would run.

Here's a run from the plate rack.  sorry no hat my hair is in the way.

2/3/18  Steel Challenge Match (Scores and reflection of the match)

I finished 9th out of 64 shooters.

If my spreadsheet calculated my scores correctly, I made "A" in PCCO at 75.45%.  I shot with my daughter who shot her second match and will be classified "C".  I shot ok today.  I made some mental errors that cost me some time.  With my inability to load up my 41 or 33 round magazines, I had to load my 17 round mags.  I forgot to reload on a few strings, so my scores suffered.  I felt as though my transitions were slower today than in the past.  I didn't feel in the zone today.  I spent a lot of time talking to a GM on our squad about the mental aspects of steel challenge and the little secrets to shooting the stages more effectively.  I get a chance to implement some of the changes tomorrow when I yet again shoot a steel challenge match.  I'll post some videos when I get them converted and resized.

Final Name Number Class Division Time Stage 1 (5 To Go) Stage 2 (Showdown) Stage 3 (Smoke & Hope) Stage 4 (Outer Limits) Stage 5 (Accelerator) Stage 6 (The Pendulum) Stage 7 (Speed Option) Stage 8 (Roundabout)
1 xxx xxx M RFRO 89.19 10.6 9.5 7.63 13.39 10.49 14.85 10.95 11.78
2 xxx xxx M RFPO 89.27 12.54 10.09 8.81 15.61 9.93 11.48 12.28 8.53
3 xxx xxx M RFRO 95.94 11.23 11.53 10.01 16.71 11.33 11.46 13.28 10.39
4 xxx   U RFPO 102.31 13.99 9.69 8.94 17.53 12.78 13.25 15.94 10.19
5 xxx   U RFRO 105.33 13.4 10.97 10.84 17.56 13.24 15.28 14.33 9.71
6 xxx   U PCCO 106.27 16.87 12.46 10.55 15.84 12.9 12.87 13 11.78
7 xxx xxx A RFPO 110.27 15.6 12.69 9.87 17.59 12.93 16.16 13.43 12
8 xxx   B RFPO 110.65 14.12 10.44 10.77 17.94 12.63 17.94 13.95 12.86
9 Scott, Michael A78613 B PCCO 111.12 14.06 12.36 11.61 16.11 14.55 15.13 13.86 13.44
10 xxx xxx U RFPO 113.47 16.24 10.3 10.31 19.08 14.55 15.58 14.42 12.99

Stage Stage Time String 1 String 2 String 3 String 4 String 5 Place
Raw Pen Raw Pen Raw Pen Raw Pen Raw Pen Division Combined
5 To Go 14.06 4.74 -

-

-

-

-

1 / 6 7 / 64
Showdown 12.36

-

-

-

-

3.36 - 2 / 6 12 / 64
Smoke & Hope 11.61 3.07 -

-

-

-

-

3 / 6 13 / 64
Outer Limits 16.11

-

-

5.77 -

-

NA   2 / 6 5 / 64
Accelerator 14.55

-

-

3.69 -

-

-

5 / 6 15 / 64
The Pendulum 15.13

-

-

11.48 -

-

-

4 / 6 10 / 64
Speed Option 13.86

-

3.97 -

-

-

-

2 / 6 7 / 64
Roundabout 13.44

-

-

-

4.29 -

-

4 / 6 21 / 64
Overall 111.12   2 / 6 9 / 64

2/4/18 Steel Challenge Match @ OK Corral

I had the luxury of shooting Steel Challenge again today.  This time it was OK Corral.  It was a long day!  The match was overbooked and had 116 shooters.  The range ended up running 9 stages (8 steel challenge and 1 side match) to accommodate all the shooters.  I had my head into Steel challenge and decided not to shoot the side match.  I'm certainly moving to "A" after today. According to my calculations, I'll be at 77.70%.  I got some really good pointers from some long time Master steel challenge shooters.  I'll be incorporating the pointers into my dry for routine for Steel Challenge.  I made another slight change today.  I wore my Costa Del Mar sunglasses instead of my clear shooting glasses.  I wanted to see if I could pick up the dot better with the polarized sunglasses.  I think I could see the dot better since I had less glare from the sunglasses.

Here's the tips I got today:

1. Open up my stance (fighting stance) and not square to the bay. 
  2. Chicken wing my right arm.  This keeps the gun mounted to your cheek and your eyes on the target.
  3. On the low ready, pick up your head and loom at the first target.  when the buzzer sounds, the gun comes up and is on your first target.

Here are the results. (As always, the names were changed since I don't know who would object to me posting their names on social media). Videos of some of the stages will be posted shortly.

1 XXX xxx GM RFPO 89.26 10.91 8.9 11.64 11.6 15.01 10.9 11.41 8.89
2 XXX xxx A RFRO 89.65 11.62 7.66 12.28 12.84 13.07 12.61 10.4 9.17
3 XXX xxx M RFRO 89.9 9.69 7.95 12.36 13.45 13.53 12.38 10.72 9.82
4 XXX xxx M PCCO 96.69 11.13 9.47 13.34 13.47 15.53 13.39 10.09 10.27
5 XXX xxx M PCCO 98.19 11.97 8.94 12.44 13.83 13.37 17.97 10.02 9.65
6 XXX xxx M RFRO 99.55 11.56 8.57 11.48 19.19 16.01 12.02 11.38 9.34
7 XXX xxx A RFPO 100.54 11.24 8.95 12.91 16.02 17.64 14.43 10.19 9.16
8 XXX xxx A PCCO 101.5 13.82 8.3 13.63 14.03 16.72 16.17 9.24 9.59
9 XXX xxx A RFPO 101.93 12.52 9.96 14.62 15.56 16.78 13.99 9.49 9.01
10 Scott, Michael A78613 B PCCO 101.96 13.09 10.12 13.71 13.01 14.49 14.87 11.77 10.9

Stage
Stage Time String 1 String 2 String 3 String 4 String 5 Place  
Raw Pen Raw Raw Pen Raw Pen Raw Pen Division Combined  
#1 ACCELERATOR  13.09 4.03 - 3.12 2.9 - 3.04 - 4.45 - 5 / 14 12 / 116  
#2 ROUNDABOUT  10.12 2.54 - 2.67 2.32 - 2.46 3 2.59 - 5 / 14 11 / 116  
#3 5 TO GO  13.71 3.51 - 2.88 4.08 - 3.24 - 4.21 - 5 / 14 11 / 116  
#4 PENDULUM 13.01 3.14 - 3.39 3.3 - 3.25 - 3.32 - 2 / 14 4 / 116  
#5 OUTER LIMITS  14.49 6.22 - 4.43 4.83 - 5.23 - NA   2 / 14 4 / 116  
#6 SPEED OPTION   14.87 3.57 - 3.53 4.86 - 4.11 - 3.66 - 2 / 14 10 / 116  
#7 SHOW DOWN  11.77 2.94 - 2.7 3.51 - 2.85 - 3.28 - 8 / 14 16 / 116  
#8 SMOKE & HOPE 10.9 2.98 - 2.95 2.93 - 2.48 - 2.54 - 6 / 14 16 / 116  
Overall 101.96   4 / 14 10 / 116