Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Length of timer delay for training

Mcfoto

Hi all,

Santa brought me a Shotmaxx 2 for Christmas. I would have been happy with a blue brick but I guess I was extra nice this year. Today I was out practicing El Presidente’s and fiddling with the start delay. I was playing with between 2 and 4 seconds trying to approximate the standard time between “stand by” and the buzzer. I looked it up and the rules state 1 to 4 seconds. The RO’s at the matches  I go to seem to fall into an cadence of 2-3 seconds, although to be honest I’ve never paid attention until now.

two questions:

is this his a good idea or should I use the random function so I don’t get a fixed time burned into my muscle memory?

if so, what’s a good time to use as a standard? (I’m not an RO so not sure what the training says)

Rulebook says 1-4 seconds. In RO class, the instructor said to be sure to vary it, although many people inadvertently end up doing about the same time every shooter. 

For training, I would do 2-5 seconds. This gives you the same range as would be used in a match, but with a little extra time to get into the start position. I find if I do 1-4 seconds on a “wrists above shoulders” start that I sometimes get rushed and am not comfortably in position yet. 

4 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

Random. Set 3 - 5 sec. so not to feel rushed in dry fire and live fire training. 

No regard for ROs individual system. I dont say READY to them until I am. 

You saying ready means nothing to me as an RO. If you want to hold RO's from giving commands when you are not ready simply keep your hand on the grip of the gun. 

28 minutes ago, Sarge said:

You saying ready means nothing to me as an RO. If you want to hold RO's from giving commands when you are not ready simply keep your hand on the grip of the gun. 

Maybe I should have said INDICATED. Even if my hand is off the pistol grip and the RO asks if im ready, i may make body signs to indicate im not. And I know ROs generally are very helpful of the shooters specially at this very critical stage of his mental readiness. As a shooter gains experience and therefore confidence in match settings, these details are just part of his mental preps. I find it unnecessary to factor it in my timer settings for practice. Its just me. 

I like random, it is way too easy to build a habit doing lots of reps in practice.

I think mine's set 1-2secs, I hit the button when I'm ready, I have plenty of time to move one hand and don't feel like I'm spending all day waiting on the beep. Honestly I probably should push the max out some for more variance, too long and I start to wonder if I hit the button sufficiently, usually it'll beep as I reach for it in those situations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks, everyone. I've been using Random to great success. The default is 2-5 which seems fine. It's only gone 5 once and it seemed like an eternity (looked down to check it and it went off).

• 2 months later...
On 1/1/2018 at 5:09 PM, Sarge said:

Exactly, I don't get into the start position until I am ready.