Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drills to break in and smoothly transition from Glock to 2011

thouston406

I have recently completed my 2011 build and am getting into the groove as to the differing grip angle, getting used to flicking the safety on and off, and dealing with having a literal hammer versus striker fired. Has anyone found any skills they overlooked when also transitioning that I could incorporate in to my dry-fire and live fire regime?

4 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Draw, one shot, reload, one shot.  Dry fire or live fire.  It will help train you to deactivated the thumb safety and make sure you get back on top of it with your thumb after the reload.

Yup. Do that a couple thousand times and you'll be good to go.

7 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Draw, one shot, reload, one shot.  Dry fire or live fire.  It will help train you to deactivated the thumb safety and make sure you get back on top of it with your thumb after the reload.

2 hours ago, HCH said:

Yup. Do that a couple thousand times and you'll be good to go.

Yep

I've shot 1911's for so long I depress the safety , that isn't there, on my Glock.

Manual of arms training.  AS stated above, learn to deal with the safety in everything you do with your gun.

Your THUMB wants to be , should be, on top of that safety EXCEPT if you Barney load and put the gun in your holster to top off the mag. 

The SAFETY has to be on when you holster it between barney load and top off load.  hope that makes sense!

I've helped a lot of guys I know when I'm RO'ing that are changing to 1911/2011 not get DQ'd by reminding them about the safety.

Yep
I've shot 1911's for so long I depress the safety , that isn't there, on my Glock.

Same for me, but going from XDm to 1911.

Since your strong hand thumb should be "flagged" (Seeklander term) when you don't have two hands on the gun, i.e. during the draw, reloads, etc, just train yourself to flag the thumb every time you practice with both guns. Every time you complete your grip, the strong hand thumb moves down from the flagged position and wipes off the safety, if it is present, and comes to rest in the final firing grip.

You may find that you start getting a higher grip on the Glock with your support hand if you flag your thumb when shooting it, too! I know I did with the XDm!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Your THUMB wants to be , should be, on top of that safety EXCEPT if you Barney load and put the gun in your holster to top off the mag. 
The SAFETY has to be on when you holster it between barney load and top off load.  hope that makes sense!

Do you mean if you cycle a round in, reholster, top off mag, then unholster to reload mag the safety must be on before you holster the gun?

I think I read that correct...

• 4 weeks later...

I started my formal training with a 1911. For me, it's logical to couple the safety movement with bringing the muzzle up to the target(s). Muzzle up/safety off. Muzzle down, safety on. Repeat until bored of it, then repeat it some more. 

Disclosure: I did hit a speed bump one time in a 360 degree carjacking scenario in a training class a few years ago. It was specifically designed to consume mental bandwidth and uncover failure points. I'd engaged the safety after shooting from inside the "disabled vehicle" and jumped behind the front wheel for cover. 

A target appeared, and I tried to fire from a very compressed position but got a dead trigger. An immediate tap-rack revealed it was on safe when the slide wouldn't move. I was frustrated at losing a couple seconds but happy to observe that it was ingrained to go safe off target.