Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting <9mm Pistol in USPSA Match

nuidad

Rule 5.1.2 is very clear on the minimum bullet diameter requirement in a USPSA match...9mm.    But, could a person shoot a match using a pistol chambered below 9mm (mindful that they would not be shooting for score or recognition)?  Or are they flat-out barred from shooting the match? 

59 minutes ago, nuidad said:

Rule 5.1.2 is very clear on the minimum bullet diameter requirement in a USPSA match...9mm.    But, could a person shoot a match using a pistol chambered below 9mm (mindful that they would not be shooting for score or recognition)?  Or are they flat-out barred from shooting the match? 

No. The rule is clear:

The minimum cartridge case dimension for handguns to be

used in

USPSA matches is 9x19 mm. The minimum bullet diameter is 9 mm.

10 minutes ago, Sarge said:

“To be used” tells me you can’t “use” anything less. Even for no score. Probably why 9mm is the smallest ring on an overlay.

Which is why it also says "9x19"...technically, a .380 is a 9mm, or 9mm Makarov, which is 9x18, and there are many other "9mm's" which aren't 9x19.

My USPSA overlays have 22 and 30 cal as well.  So 9 aint always the smallest rings on overlays.  As to the ops question, at a local I have seen a kid shoot a 22 for no score.  I figure it fall in the same category as not meeting minimum powerfactor.  I wouldn't show up at a major but might ask the RM at a local.  Since you would be shooting for no score, worse they could say is no

Beyond what the local MD would “let” you shoot, the poppers and other steel knock-down targets are supposed to be calibrated at 9mm 115 gr, minimum power factor charge. That might take some of the fun out if you’re not able to neutralize any of these targets.

1 hour ago, RJH said:

My USPSA overlays have 22 and 30 cal as well.  So 9 aint always the smallest rings on overlays.  As to the ops question, at a local I have seen a kid shoot a 22 for no score.  I figure it fall in the same category as not meeting minimum powerfactor.  I wouldn't show up at a major but might ask the RM at a local.  Since you would be shooting for no score, worse they could say is no

Edited by Sarge

4 hours ago, RJH said:

22&30 are not for pistols 

7 hours ago, Sarge said:

22&30 are not for pistols 

I know that, but was just pointing out that 9 was not the smallest rings on an overlay.  Also, if someone was allowed to shoot for no score an overlay is pointless in the first place.

11 hours ago, rustychev said:

We have let kids shoot 22s and just give them any hit on steel as hit.

+1.  I’ve seen dads take their kid through with an airsoft even, to teach them safety, etc., on their way up to real guns.  A lot of times it’s through only a few stages before the kid is satisfied and goes back to the car to play a game on dad’s phone.  No score, of course.  As long as it’s not holding up the match (at the local level) I haven’t seen anyone argue this point, but rather encourage the participation. 

On 12/25/2017 at 9:01 PM, rustychev said:

We have let kids shoot 22s and just give them any hit on steel as hit.

Same. There comes a point where getting a new generation involved in shooting is more important than zelous adhrence to the rules we’d use at Nationals.

Can’t have all the youngsters growing up antigun simply because they’ve never enjoyed shooting one.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

My son started out in our preparation with a .22 handgun, we never shot it in a match.  I had never thought to ask, so he waited until he could handle the 9mm. Our range does currently have 2 young kids, ages 6 and 9, that we let shoot .22 in the match and the RO just calls the hits on steel.  It is a great learning experience for them and they sometimes travel to level 2 matches with the excitement of knowing that if they exhibit good safety and when they can handle the larger caliber they will be rewarded with the scores and op for the level 2 matches as well.  PCC is also a viable option for youngsters once they are strong enough to hold it up.  Let's make sure guns are enjoyed properly by the next generations so that they can participate in this great sport as well as we have.

I'd have to agree with most here. I think it is probably up to the MD if they would let the person shoot for no score. If they aren't holding up the shooting I wouldn't see the harm as I am assuming it would be a kid or girlfriend/wife. It wouldn't hurt to be able to show someone good safe gun handling.

5 hours ago, StuckinMS said:

My son started out in our preparation with a .22 handgun, we never shot it in a match.  I had never thought to ask, so he waited until he could handle the 9mm. Our range does currently have 2 young kids, ages 6 and 9, that we let shoot .22 in the match and the RO just calls the hits on steel.  It is a great learning experience for them and they sometimes travel to level 2 matches with the excitement of knowing that if they exhibit good safety and when they can handle the larger caliber they will be rewarded with the scores and op for the level 2 matches as well.  PCC is also a viable option for youngsters once they are strong enough to hold it up.  Let's make sure guns are enjoyed properly by the next generations so that they can participate in this great sport as well as we have.

I’m all for bringing juniors into the game. But 6 years old is a bit much for me. I can’t see how a kindergartner doesn’t slow things down, let alone safely handle a gun. 

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

I’m all for bringing juniors into the game. But 6 years old is a bit much for me. I can’t see how a kindergartner doesn’t slow things down, let alone safely handle a gun. 

You should see this one in action!  He is a ball.  He spent 6months training with that gun prior to being in a match and is a tremendous listener.  As far as slowing things down, his squad is never the last to finish the match.