Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Casting for IPSC/USPSA

KrakenFan69

Hi guys,

I'm looking to move from production to revolver division next year.   I cast and Hi-Tek coat all my own projectiles.    I was looking at the S&W TRR8.   I was looking at loading 38 Short Colt to guarantee a more reliable extraction.  I picked up the Lee 358-158 RF for .38 Special and .357 Magnum shooting but I am looking for a profile that will chamber easier using moon clips.   I feel like the RF profile will have potential for hanging up if not executed perfectly.    Does anyone have a mold recomendation for a 147-160 gn projectile with rounded or TC that comes in at least a 4 cavity?   I see some I like on Magma Engineering but at only 2 I think it would take forever to cast enough for practice and competition.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!

Kraken Fan #69 

The easy way to make a bullet mold cast the weight you want --->  Cast bullets in the original mold till you get perfect ones. Put a bullet in the lathe and turn down the length until it is the weight you want. Measure the length of an original and length of turned down. Record the difference. Mill that amount off the mold and bullets will be the weight of the shorter one. This method gives the exact weight you want, no guessing.  Make sure to use a base pour mold.

Edited by Toolguy

4 hours ago, KrakenFan69 said:

Found this and am considering it.   It is a flat nose but only .150" wide.  I have an NOE mold for my .308 and its a beauty.   Anyone use this one?

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?products_id=4667{5}3{1}3{3}3{4}3

Kraken Fan #69

Flat nose bullets work ok, round nose is best though.

Edited by robertson

have you considered a long colt.  it is basically a rimmed 38 super.  I have not used them but may ICORE shooters do.

you might consider asking the questions about 38 short and long colt on the ICORE board as well.

Edited by ffl

I use the Lee 150 from a 6 cavity mold.  Loaded in starline 38 sc and roll crimped into the lube groove for an oal of 1.175. my accuracy improved crimping long.  Strung up in revolver supply .25 blued clips they work very well. The TK *- would hold tighter, but I've had no real issue .  I'm using a 627 pro.

Jason

On 12/30/2017 at 6:55 PM, Makicjf said:

I use the Lee 150 from a 6 cavity mold.  Loaded in starline 38 sc and roll crimped into the lube groove for an oal of 1.175. my accuracy improved crimping long.  Strung up in revolver supply .25 blued clips they work very well. The TK *- would hold tighter, but I've had no real issue .  I'm using a 627 pro.

Jason

This the one you use?

https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-358-150-1r.html

Kraken Fan #69

Yes sir, that's the one.  I do water drop them.If I have time, I'll Hi Tek coat them. The last 1000 I just used Lee liqiud alox.  I bit more smoke, but accurate enough. I've never benched them, but from a 4 inch 627 I can put 8 in an inch off hand at 15 yards and drop 8 inch steel or small poppers at 50.  They are loaded to 900 fps.  They drop in well and never had a flat primer or a hint of sticky extraction.  

I've been using 4.3 of unique loaded long, but worked up from the middle of 147 9mm data until I hit the power factor I wanted and a tight ES. I've not done any work with faster powders , but my 8 lbs keg of unique is almost empty. I can't decide if I want to buy another keg of unique; try power pistol or see if a faster powders gives a softer recoil impulse.  

If I change powder, it would only be to try something new, as unique, the longish roll crimped load and the 150 round have served me well this last year!

Good Luck.

Jason

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:23 PM, KrakenFan69 said:

This the one you use?

https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-358-150-1r.html

Kraken Fan #69

I have used this mould for loads in 9mm cases with my 929 and in .38 shot Colt and Mid cases in my 627. I cast these types of bullets (going to be shot slow) with a heavier lead mix and these come out at 160 gr.  and then I HiTek coat and size to .358"

I also have been using a bullet from a NOE Mould that was designed as a heavy bullet for 9mm's and I got it for shooting in my 929. I also HiTek and size these to .358"  This may meet your criteria as it can be had in a 4 or 5 cavity.  If you look it is a tapered bullet so it can be seated out to your guns parameters.  In the pic you can see the bullet loaded (to 1.200") in 9mm cases for my 929,  then loaded (to 1.145") in nickeled 9mm cases for shooting in my autos (Glocks)  and then the bullet unloaded. This bullet comes out at a perfect 160 grs. with my softer alloy and is a great shooter in both my revolvers and my Glocks.

Here is the mould: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=34_265&products_id=1907

9mm ELCO.jpg

Edited by Intel6

I have the Lee 6 cavity mold.  I have been shooting that in a 66 no dash for IDPA.

I am not powder coating yet but SNS 160 grain round nose are promising.

I have a 627 pro that I need to get USPSA ready.

The Lyman mold for the 358311 four cavity is one I have been working with.

Then I need to get some 38 short colt cases and give that a try.

I bought some of the spire point molds to cast 38 and 40 cal pointed bullets.. they seemed to want to feed better but when it came down to it, they were about equal.. the pointed bullets did look a little meaner.. :D

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2018 at 11:21 AM, Intel6 said:

I have used this mould for loads in 9mm cases with my 929 and in .38 shot Colt and Mid cases in my 627. I cast these types of bullets (going to be shot slow) with a heavier lead mix and these come out at 160 gr.  and then I HiTek coat and size to .358"

I also have been using a bullet from a NOE Mould that was designed as a heavy bullet for 9mm's and I got it for shooting in my 929. I also HiTek and size these to .358"  This may meet your criteria as it can be had in a 4 or 5 cavity.  If you look it is a tapered bullet so it can be seated out to your guns parameters.  In the pic you can see the bullet loaded (to 1.200") in 9mm cases for my 929,  then loaded (to 1.145") in nickeled 9mm cases for shooting in my autos (Glocks)  and then the bullet unloaded. This bullet comes out at a perfect 160 grs. with my softer alloy and is a great shooter in both my revolvers and my Glocks.

Here is the mould: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=34_265&products_id=1907

9mm ELCO.jpg

What are powder and charge are you using for your 160gr bullets? Got a buddy that ran out of the 150s he was using but he found a box of 158s and we can't find load data for Short Colts or 9mm with that weight. Got 2 matches this weekend and not a lot of spare time for load development.

With the Lee 150 roll crimped into the lube groove in Starline Short Colt cases, I've found 3.2 to 3.3 grains of bullseye to be about perfect.  It makes 130 pf consistently, shoots very soft with no pressure signs from my 4 inch 627.  I just loaded the last 150 I had yesterday.

I'm short on time so I ordered 500 Bayou 160's.  My notes say the say the same charge roll crimped into the lube groove gives the same pf .

I'm going to start at 2.8 of Bullseye and work up, it's a different canister, and Bullseye can be temperamental and spike quickly.

Hope some of that helps

Jason