Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 carry optics which base pads and mags

Dirtchevy841

FActory mags with Dawson base pads

They come with an estra power spring and run great.

You may have to bevel the follower a little so they don't hang up where the base and the mag transition.

Dawson actually give instructions how to do it with the base pads/

Just getting started, Glock mags with the 4/5 Taran Tactical basepads. Of the two matches I shot, zero issues, and the last match was a raining, freezing affair in NW Montana that was so cold I did not care if the mags ran or not. Never missed a round and we all were dropping mags into the mud and sand. I was amazed anything ran that day. I was so miserable and my hands were so frozen it was an effort to even wipe off the outside of the mags.

I didn’t run CO but I’m a fan of the magpul products. I think Only zev makes a basepad for them but you can just buy a 140 stick from them and not use a basepad. I didn’t have good luck with ets so I don’t recommend them. Loading a full ets 140 stick would cause just enough bulge in the mag body that it would not drop free for me. 

I use both TTI and Dawson.  They both perform the same.  The Dawson's are easier to get on and off though neither are that difficult.  I'd buy whatever is cheaper.

I've found they aren't as reliable as stock length mags which isn't a surprise.  This season I put 4 aside to only use for competition so they don't get beat up in practice.  I also have two dedicated to dry fire only.  Gets expensive quick though not 2011 expensive.

Tip:  Change your springs once a season or more depending on how much you shoot.  I buy 33 round magazine springs from Glock ($5 a piece) and cut them to length.  I leave one more coil than the springs that come with the base pads.

• 2 weeks later...

I have both Dawson and Springer for different guns and prefer the springer ones because Springer will engrave your name and a magazine number on the bottoms of the bases for a few extra bucks.  That said, the Dawsons have performed perfectly as well.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:26 AM, CamboSoup22 said:

I didn’t run CO but I’m a fan of the magpul products. I think Only zev makes a basepad for them but you can just buy a 140 stick from them and not use a basepad. I didn’t have good luck with ets so I don’t recommend them. Loading a full ets 140 stick would cause just enough bulge in the mag body that it would not drop free for me. 

Arredondo makes +5 bases for the Magpul mags too.

On 12/25/2017 at 2:26 AM, CamboSoup22 said:

I believe that Zev baseplates on Magpul magazines exceed the 140mm rule. 

6 hours ago, lacivilian said:

I believe that Zev baseplates on Magpul magazines exceed the 140mm rule. 

Hummm.... not sure. I haven’t shot my glock in a while but I’ll check them in the gauge and let you guys know. I always shot the glock in local matches and never gauged them. 

Just got home and gauged them. Wow. They fail horribly. Glad I never went to a major match with them. 

58725FCA-E515-457F-9D8D-02300B293DDA.png

Edited by CamboSoup22
Added mag check

11 hours ago, TrackCage said:

What about the magpul 21 rounders? They advertise them as 140s for USPSA but I don't have a gauge to know for sure.

Unfortunately I don’t have one of those to try. Tempted to pick one up just to know...unless some one can chime in on it. 

Have been using TTI +5s for about 3 years now. Work great and have been very happy with them.

Picked up a magpul 21 a few weeks ago. Have not used it in a match but has run fine at the range with brass and some aluminum case. For some one starting out they look to be a very solid option.