Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend grips for 686

Screamingweasle

While my 5 inch 686 is back at SW for Warrantee work, I’m shopping for accessories. 

The gun wont be for competition use, but a kind of multi purpose woods/carry gun. 

The mono grips on it are too sticky for carry (cover garment sticks to it) and the grooves don’t fit my fingers well. I was pretty set on a set of the round but VZ grips, but I see a ton of recommendations for Ahrends grips. I just thought I’d see what you guys think before ordering. 

I will be shooting a decent amount of magnum ammo, and I have very large hands but kind of stumpy fingers, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Thanks guys. Searching through the forums I see a bunch of recommendations for both houge and ahrend. 

Do do you guys prefer finger grooves or no? I’m totally new to revolvers and haven’t handled enough of them to have that figured out for myself. I’m guessing it’s a personal thing. I guess I’ll go ahead and do as someone in an old thread here suggested and get a shoe box, label it “grips” and put it beside the one labeled “holsters”. :rolleyes:

I don't know how alec feels about it, but for me the feeling of finger groove grips in rubber and wood is completely different. Where the rubber grips tend to grab and hold your fingers in place wherever you first grip the gun (sometimes uncomfortably so), the wood grips allow my fingers to find their own center in each groove and still provide a good sound grip (particularly important in a carry gun). The Round Butt Tactical grip that Kim offers in Bubinga wood is my personal favorite. I also choose the Tung oil finish. This wood/oil finish was also Judy's choice, Kim's late wife who died of cancer earlier this year.

Most of us have a box of grips and a box of holsters. Find the ones that feel right in your hands. Everyone's hands are different. Try grips on other people's guns as much as possible before buying. I can be fine with the finger groove ones or non groove ones, but many people find the grooves are not spaced right for them. The safer bet in your case is probably no grooves.