Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Stop Issues

djbb98

I recall earlier this year seeing a post on Facebook I believe talking about someone who's slide stop will fall out when holding the gun sideways and racking the slide. People were saying (if i recall correctly) that this is due to the frame being out of spec. I didn't worry about it then because it was the middle of the season. I figure if I need to send it back to STI that this is the time of year to do it. Is this a issue I need to worry about and should have fixed? Or not worry about. I have had it fall out after shooting a stage during the unload and show clear, luckily it was indoors. I just need some input from others

Even if it was loosey goosey I don't see why it would fall out.  It sounds like you need to replace your plunger tube spring, and maybe the ends also.  Since it did fall out, it's too loose anyway, so replace the slide stop with a good billet or bar stock unit at the same time.

5 hours ago, djbb98 said:

I recall earlier this year seeing a post on Facebook I believe talking about someone who's slide stop will fall out when holding the gun sideways and racking the slide. People were saying (if i recall correctly) that this is due to the frame being out of spec. I didn't worry about it then because it was the middle of the season. I figure if I need to send it back to STI that this is the time of year to do it. Is this a issue I need to worry about and should have fixed? Or not worry about. I have had it fall out after shooting a stage during the unload and show clear, luckily it was indoors. I just need some input from others

When I got my executive mine would fall out. Sti just mailed me a new one. Something to do with hard chrome did to it. 

Is the slide stop falling out on its own or could you be pressing your trigger finger against the protruding pin on the right side of the frame when you rack the slide?

I have a 1911 that will lock up when the slide is released during slide lock reloads cuz I'm pushing on the pin.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Trim the domed end of the slide stop pin so it's flush with the frame, then radius the edge to aid insertion. You might need a tool or punch to take off the slide, but you won't push it out while in use. Kind of a common mod on custom guns. 

For slide stops falling out, I'd start with the plunger spring and plungers. Cheaper than anything else to try. 

• 2 weeks later...

Every so often during a match when I unload and show clear, my index finger pushes too hard on the slide stop protrusion, moving it ever so slightly, but enough that I notice it either then or at the next load and make ready. If you look at say a Nighthawk, the hole on the right side of the frame is beveled and the stop is flush. That's the best way to do it I think. 

with 2011's many remove the slide stop locking by grinding on the interior tab, it didn't by chance break off or go missing?

Short term fix is to take a dremel and grind a divot in the face, you can see where the pin stops.