Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are these overpressure?

sc68cal

Hey all.

I recently changed from 124gr Montana Gold Round Nose to Jacketed Hollow Point - and I think I'm getting signs of overpressure. But I'm not 100% sure. The mitigating factor is that some of the Everglades ammo brass had very, very tight primer pockets, so I used my Dillon Super Swage to open a couple up.

The first picture, as you can see, the primer popped out of the back of the case after firing. My hope is that it's just one of the ones that I put through the super swager, but I'm still concerned.

The seating depth and crimp was adjusted when going from RN to JHP - overall length is 1.158" for a loaded round.

Powder charge is 7.0 grains of Autocomp.

When I was using RN's and 7.0 grains, loaded to 1.160" I was chronographed at 171PF.

I've loaded about 2000 of them, so.... if I have to pull them, so be it.

https://i.imgur.com/Hde9HUc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TmfiE7h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0RgMJBm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aZGR6U2.jpg

I'm traveling to florida with about 3500 rounds for practices and competitions, so I'm going to be sad if 2000 of the 4500 that I loaded need to be pulled and I have to start all over again, but by the same token I don't want to damage my gun or blow things up.

Edited by sc68cal

First,  I cant see your pictures.  I have a few questions:

1. what caliber are you loading for the 124gr?  9mm or 38 super?
  2. if its 9mm, load data is 4.8gr to 5.4gr
  3. if loading 38 super, load data is 5.7gr to 6.3gr
  4. shooting major or minor?

9mm major. When I was loading 7gr of AC with montana gold round nose I was chrono'd at 171PF.

Switched to the Montana Gold Jacketed Hollow Points, made some adjustments to seat and crimp die to account for the different projectile profile. I also used some different brass that had tighter primer pockets compared to the once fired range brass I was using before - so some pockets were enlarged via my Super Swage, which is what I hope is the reason why some primers popped out.

Sorry about the pictures. I'm not familiar with how you embed images on Invision boads - the link should work however, It's public on imgur.

Edited by sc68cal

1 minute ago, sc68cal said:

Oh excellent. I'll have to figure out how Invision embed syntax works. I tried BBCode but no dice.

I couldn't paste the image from the links.  I think that was because they were httpS...  

I just copied and pasted them.  

Doesn’t look too bad.

You may want to chrono to confirm. 

When comparing jhp vs. cmj bullet head length of equal weight, a jhp should be slightly longer. A slightly longer bullet will seat further into the case for a given oal. That small amount might be the cause of some of your overpressure signs. 

If it’s the smearing of the firing pin hit that concerns you, you may want to try an extended length firing pin. The smear may go away but by no means does it say you’re running less pressure. 

5 hours ago, stick said:

First,  I cant see your pictures.  I have a few questions:

1. what caliber are you loading for the 124gr?  9mm or 38 super?
  2. if its 9mm, load data is 4.8gr to 5.4gr
  3. if loading 38 super, load data is 5.7gr to 6.3gr
  4. shooting major or minor?

This is 9 Major so your 9mm data does not apply.

Odd. You would think the material that’s missing from the cavity of a jhp has to go elsewhere to makeup for the weight hence a slightly longer bullet for a jhp...

Edited by yoshidaex
correction

4 hours ago, yoshidaex said:

Odd. You would think the material that’s missing from the cavity of a jhp has to go elsewhere to makeup for the weight hence a slightly longer bullet for a jhp...

The weight goes into the shoulder of the JHP, which is longer than the shoulder on the CMJ.

Update:

I loaded 100 using mixed brass that I've had good results with previously. No issue seating primers, and didn't use the super swage.

Shot 50, recovered 45 of the cases. Here's what they look like.

cFuQTX7.jpg

For comparison, here's stuff that i just picked up that people were firing factory 9mm loads from factory guns

hRxdXqZ.jpg

So, to be honest I think I just spooked myself - by having a couple primers pop out of brass that I had over-swaged the primer pockets.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2017 at 4:46 PM, wrench459 said:

New EGA brass does seem to have tight primer pockets.

I switched to a hand primer tool instead of using my press for better results.

I have been using EGA brass for 9Major as well, and I agree that it is pretty tight.  I have 2,000 left and I am going to chamfer the primer pocket a little to aid in alignment and seating.

I've also found that EGA brass is more likely to have a primer pop out on a stout load than any other brass I've used.   I've even had a lot of EGA brass come out of my rotary tumbler with the primers missing. 

Yeah to be honest I only bought 1k of EGA new brass and I probably will not buy it again. In 9Major loads I've had a lot of primers pop out - enough where I think that it's not just ones that I swaged the primer pocket.

The primer pocket is so tight, I wouldn't even use it for lower pressure 9mm loads - it's too much of a pain in the ass.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my fellow 9 major shooters think you can reload the brass 3 times, and they seem to have more than their fair share of issues.   I mark my brass so I don't pick it up, there are always enough noob shooters that don't reload that I can live off of picking up their brass.  I have no issues with brass, none.  Once and done.  No sense taking chances.  Your primers look good.  When I was counting to 3 my tumbler would be full of lose primers.    The end to primer shortage is becoming an RO, a couple of major matches a year and you will be buying more coffee so you can have cans to put it in.

14 minutes ago, CocoBolo said:

Most of my fellow 9 major shooters think you can reload the brass 3 times, and they seem to have more than their fair share of issues.   I mark my brass so I don't pick it up, there are always enough noob shooters that don't reload that I can live off of picking up their brass.  I have no issues with brass, none.  Once and done.  No sense taking chances.  Your primers look good.  When I was counting to 3 my tumbler would be full of lose primers.    The end to primer shortage is becoming an RO, a couple of major matches a year and you will be buying more coffee so you can have cans to put it in.

Hmmm, what are your loads that cause primers to fall out after 3 loading? I have reloaded some of my 9MAJOR brass so many times I quit keeping track. Almost 5 years with absolutely no issue Reloading over and over and over.

Now, there is one guy locally shooting 9MAJOR that I absolutely won’t touch if I pick it up. Bulged, loose pocket etc.