Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD 5.25 open?

Broncman

I had given this some thought a few years back, I wanted to test the waters for Open without spending 4K doing it. After contacted two barrel makers and one of the more prominent XDm custom shops, the warning were clear. Don't do it.

The issue was fully supporting the case for 9MM. At least the two makers I talked to on it pointed out in no way was it a good idea to do this. The high pressure from major loads was against any warranty or recommendations they would provide. Now, if KKM will warrant the barrel and shroud fully support the case, then by all means let me know, I would consider converting my XDm .40 to 9MM major. (If the rules allow changing caliber on slides in Open.) I just this week finished getting my XDm 4.5 set up for open in .40, and had 9 been OK to use, I would have gone that route.

Plus it gives me something to experiment with during this wonderful winter. (12 inches of snow, -7 today.)

Well that is strange. I asked this about 3 years ago. Maybe at the time everyone was being extremely careful about getting sued in the ground. I can tell you the two barrel makers were not keen on it. On my .40, 4.5 I use one of the Neumount red dot mounting systems. It is rock solid and has sets of holes pre drilled to fit almost any optic out there. I forget what holster maker they recommend, but it is one of the race holsters with the rails, slightly modified to accommodate the wrap around mount. 

I shot a few of my test rounds this week, and found the dot does leave the focal plane, but not by much. A bit more tuning and it will be fun to try this summer. Certainly it will be a blast in the Steel Open division at minor loads.

From what I have seen plastic open guns in 40, while not ideal,  work pretty good and are reliable.  However plastic guns in 9 major, never tend to work real well and people jack with them more than "standard" open guns. Open 9 minor in plastic,  works fine.  This is just my observances, but it does seem to be pretty consistent

10 minutes ago, Broncman said:

This would be a backup for my 2011....

Since I don’t personally know your shooting ability I am just spitballing. I carried 5.25 to major matches as a backup to my 2011. It was Production legal with stock mags etc. If my main gun broke at least I could finish the match. I’m not ultra competitive, nor all that good, so it wasn’t important for me to switch guns and stay in the hunt. Once I was able to get a true backup 2011 I just kept the 5.25 around to loan out etc at local matches.

I think if you are a better shooter and are finishing high in the standings you should concentrate on keeping your primary 100% reliable and maintained and save up for another 2011. Maybe I’m lucky but both of mine are so good I just switch off year to year. I have not broken anything on my first gun since I got it that kept me out of a match. I cracked a slide but Matt had me up and running in a week.

I am just a B Class shooter. Consistent 2nd place finishes to an A class shooter at one range and a top level B at another. Only issue is matches are a 2 hour drive. Never had any issues but would be nice. Another 2011 is just not in the budget this year... This is my third competition gun in a year, so I am maxxed out! 

CO,PCC,and a 2011... Addictions are hard....

8 minutes ago, Broncman said:

I am just a B Class shooter. Consistent 2nd place finishes to an A class shooter at one range and a top level B at another. Only issue is matches are a 2 hour drive. Never had any issues but would be nice. Another 2011 is just not in the budget this year... This is my third competition gun in a year, so I am maxxed out! 

CO,PCC,and a 2011... Addictions are hard....

I wouldn’t do it. Make your CO gun your backup to Open just to be able to keep shooting with a dot?

Some day you’ll get that backup 2011 and be stuck with XDM Open parts, holster etc that nobody wants.

An Open XDM will be so inferior to the real gun that you may as well leave it CO and suck up minor scoring. 

1 hour ago, Broncman said:

Sarge, very good point... Hmmm, that would have to be scored as minor. Least I would finish the match.

Of course, I'm just saying what I would do. Not that you are wrong for wanting to do anything. :) Last time I shot an Open Glock it felt like a damn stick of TNT going off in my hands! And it wouldn't eject past the scope mount.......     To me it was only about being able to finish the match as well.

Edited to add: There is no such thing as "just" a B class shooter. B is better than the VAST majority. ;)

Edited by Sarge

20 hours ago, Dyoung1987 said:

My wife is running an XDm in 9mm with a custom muzzle brake from MOA Precision and a FF3. We have to hand load the Ammo to get the brake to work properly, but so far it is running flawlessly. 

What Barrel are you running?