Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major primers??

TANFARM

Thoughts on different primers for 9mm Major loads??...been seeing folks using magnum pistol primers and different types of Federal primers.

Im starting to work on my 9mm major load ladder and sincerely hoping my CCI Small Pistol primers will suffice...got a ton of ‘em.

Thanks for any input..........Merry Christmas to all!!!!!

The CCIs might work. The only way to know is to try.  The usual problem with 9 Major is excess primer flow because of the high pressure.

If you start to experience too much primer flow, you can try magnum pistol primers, or switch to small rifle primers.  In either instance, you'll need to start load development over because magnum and rifle primers might increase pressure compared to standard pistol primers.

I use Federal small rifle primers for 9 Major.

Magnum pistol and rifle primers are usually not as sensitive as standard pistol primers, and might be a little harder to ignite. This is generally no problem for hammer fired guns. Some striker fired guns might have problems igniting rifle primers.

I've used tons of CCI small pistol primers in major PF 9major, 38SC and 40 with ZERO primer related issues.

They are soft enough to never have ignition problems in my 2011/1911's even with 17# MS.

They are soft enough to show signs of pressure when you push loads too hot so you can back down or change your load.

A harder magnum or small rifle primer will not give you that warning feedback until pressures are even higher & more dangerous. 

Not saying other SPP's won't fit that same bill, but the CCI SPP's are great for 9major.

Use the ton you have and then buy more! 

Anyone have loading data that shows using magnum or rifle primers change the velocity if everything else in the load stays the same - powder charge bullet weight and seating depth? My experimentation I have not noticed much if any difference in velocity between different primers. Just the mag and rifle primer have thicker cups for higher chamber pressure.

I use Win SRP with zero ignition issues in 9 major

57 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

Anyone have loading data that shows using magnum or rifle primers change the velocity if everything else in the load stays the same - powder charge bullet weight and seating depth? My experimentation I have not noticed much if any difference in velocity between different primers. Just the mag and rifle primer have thicker cups for higher chamber pressure.

I use Win SRP with zero ignition issues in 9 major

Some people get a hair more velocity with magnum primers so they buy magnums and back off the powder, as the primers are the same price.
The only time I have done what you asked was with 45/70 was probably using a lever action charge of either 322 or 4198, under a 350 gr hardcast. Pretty big case too.
I only had a handful of large rifle primers so loaded some with winchester large pistol which is labled as standard or magnum.. they dont have separate. Anyway the velocities over lapped without any real difference. I imagine if you fired 100 rounds you might see a shift.
I think the powder is either ignited or it isnt.

3 hours ago, superdude said:

The CCIs might work. The only way to know is to try.  The usual problem with 9 Major is excess primer flow because of the high pressure.

If you start to experience too much primer flow, you can try magnum pistol primers, or switch to small rifle primers.  In either instance, you'll need to start load development over because magnum and rifle primers might increase pressure compared to standard pistol primers.

I use Federal small rifle primers for 9 Major.

Magnum pistol and rifle primers are usually not as sensitive as standard pistol primers, and might be a little harder to ignite. This is generally no problem for hammer fired guns. Some striker fired guns might have problems igniting rifle primers.

Do you know if magnum primers have the same "power" as small rifle primers?  I started using small rifle when I could not find small pistol primers and I have noticed an increase in FPS.  I have not tested this side by side yet to verify my findings.  

41 minutes ago, Banacek said:

Do you know if magnum primers have the same "power" as small rifle primers?  I started using small rifle when I could not find small pistol primers and I have noticed an increase in FPS.  I have not tested this side by side yet to verify my findings.  

It might depend on the brand, but CCI told me that their small pistol magnum and small rifle are different.

31 minutes ago, superdude said:

It might depend on the brand, but CCI told me that their small pistol magnum and small rifle are different.

OK, that makes sense to me.  Is there a difference between Small Pistol and Small Rifle that would affect FPS?  Is the Small Rifle between small pistol and small magnum pistol as far as "power" or is it just a hardness?  I will sit down and load some side by side comparisons and list them here once I can get the chrono out.  Minnesota winter might be a hindrance. 

6 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

I use CCI SPP as well, harder primers only hide the pressure signs.  I've yet to pierce a primer using even the softest Federal SPP.

Bingo! Harder primers only mask pressure problems. The pressure doesn't decrease just because you use a harder primer. Primer flow is more likely caused by your firing pin hole or the pin itself. If you are getting pierced primers, flattening, or primer flow solve the root cause instead of changing primers.

I loaded 9mm with both magnum and standard primers over about ten different charge weights to compare velocities. I saw practically no difference (single digit) in velocities between the two. The difference I saw was in the ES. It was single digits with the magnum primers and upwards of 40fps in some charge weights with the standard primers. I use only magnum primers now. 

The powder I was using was Shooter's World Auto Pistol.

I try to keep both standard and magnum/rifle primers in stock since I load so many different recipes. However for 9 major I feel that it depends on the recipe In which primer I use. For instance with 7.3 grn of silhouette I used spp. The sd was below 10. It was extremely consistent and very accurate. Made 171pf all day with no signs of pressure. I didn’t even have pressure signs at 8 grn with a 124grn bullet. However with aa7 my configuration worked better  with SPM/SR primers. I recently chrono the difference between the two. The only difference was the primer. Both were 9.2 grn of aa7.  The SPP resulted in an act of 1315fps with  a 32.8 Sd and spread of 86. The other yielded  1351fps with a 9 sd and a spread of 27. Hope this helps a little!

Edited by CamboSoup22
Typo

On 12/22/2017 at 2:49 PM, RaylanGivens said:

I use Winchester Small Rifle (WSR) primers in 9 major and love them, but they absolutely suck in an RF100.

Why?

I have the dillon primer filler and use WSR without issue. What happens for you?

They sit and spin at the opening for the tube...  Dillon said it was because WSR are out of round...  Sent some new parts, but no help...  Tried all kinds of adjustments...  on a mouse pad...  not on a mouse pad...  adjusted the screw...  adjusted the amount of vibration knob... 

I'm back to my flip tray...  100 primers in a little under two minutes and none upside down!!!  No babysitting the RF100...  Much less frustrating...

I run my vibration around 50-60 percent I guess. I do experience the same issue as you occasionally. I'd guess once per 500 or so. When it shuts off if there are still primers on the vibration surface I know it jammed. I remove primer tube and with a small screw driver press the stuck primer up instead of disassembling the top cover. The stuck primers are always sideways and once sitting straight drop right out. Definitely annoying but I still like it better than using the primer pick up tubes. 

On 12/27/2017 at 5:43 PM, Broncman said:

I use a Frankford Arsenal handheld vibratory tube filler. Winchester's stick and do not feed as well as the CCIs I have. I to believe they are not as uniform.

I use the Frankford as well and I have not had a problem with primers not feeding but I have been using a bump technique that works quite well.  I do not check the primers when reloading on my 550 and have had two primers go in backwards out of the last 1400 rounds.