Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Perfect scores with a revolver?

twister

How many perfect scores have been shot at the cup with a revolver? My shooting buddies and I were discussing this tonight, and it was said only 5 shooters have shot a perfect score. If anyone knows how many have, I'd really like to know, thanks, Dave.

How many perfect scores have been shot at the cup with a revolver? My shooting buddies and I were discussing this tonight, and it was said only 5 shooters have shot a perfect score. If anyone knows how many have, I'd really like to know, thanks, Dave.

I know Doug's first 1920 was with a Revo, and pretty certain Zeljko from here in Aus has also done it.
Ive searched everywhere for an archive over the years and could only ever go back a couple years.
Would be great if the NRA could do a archive listing of all the years results.

The list is a short one. Best I can tell this is it. In the early days because most used Revolvers they were not broken out as a separate class. As Semi-Autos started to become more popular they started to be listed, the as Revolvers started to decline they too were listed. Still great question and interesting results. One thing I did notice going through this, the number of multiple 1920 seemed to have dropped along with the number of Revolvers.

GrantJ

1990 – Doug Koenig

1992 – Riley Gilmore

1993 – Brian Kilpatrick, Rob Leatham, Roy Bannister & Frank Glen

1995 - Phil Hemphill & Rob Leatham

1998 – Alex Burridge

1999 – Grahame Harriman

Grantj thanks for the info. I found a complete list of winners, but for some reason Doug Koenig didn't declare what weapon he used to win the cup. I really thought more perfect scores had been shot with a revolver.

Hey Grant! Very interesting observation that the number of 1920s dropped along with the decline in revolver shooters. I think you are onto something!  Revolvers dominated before the shroud for semi-autos was developed. Maybe, one of these days, I will devote as much time practicing with my revolver as I once did... LOL

George

I recall many years ago Rob Leatham made the comment “the Bianchi Cup has become an X count race so to compete you needed to use a semi auto”. I can understand the rationale behind that, back then triggers were not restricted so most were running right around 1lb. Light triggers and short stroke meant more time to work on sight and trigger. Still looking back at the last of the revolver X counts they were in the 170’s which is not that far from where they are now. Also, back then the target was perforated not printed as they are today, so you had no defined center to aim at.

I must admit when the new target was implemented I figured we would see the X count go up but not so, we are still hovering around the mid 180’s

Interesting stuff going back through all of that, I have every results bulletin from the first one I attended back in 1988 to the last time they printed one. Sad to see them go.

GrantJ

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:03 PM, GrantJ said:

The list is a short one. Best I can tell this is it. In the early days because most used Revolvers they were not broken out as a separate class. As Semi-Autos started to become more popular they started to be listed, the as Revolvers started to decline they too were listed. Still great question and interesting results. One thing I did notice going through this, the number of multiple 1920 seemed to have dropped along with the number of Revolvers.

GrantJ

1990 – Doug Koenig

1992 – Riley Gilmore

1993 – Brian Kilpatrick, Rob Leatham, Roy Bannister & Frank Glen

1995 - Phil Hemphill & Rob Leatham

1998 – Alex Burridge

1999 – Grahame Harriman

Grant,

I am pretty sure John Pride has shot at least one 1920 with a revolver at BC. Am I wrong?

MJ

Martin,

I spoke to John about this a few years ago ( I had my own struggles at the time to get past 1900 consistently and he was happy to help). He switched to an auto to get the 1920, he said he was always one shot ( an 8) away from the 1920 with the revolver. So the auto gave him the time to make sure he could get there.

• 2 months later...