Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fixed choke for heavy metal

AngelDeVille

Aww crap, I just realized my two/three favorite pump shotguns have at tightest IC fixed chokes....

New to three gun, first match in a few weeks..

Is number 6 shot the best cure?

I have never had screw ins installed, it may be cheaper in the long run, that way I can shoot Wally World federal...

middle 1971 Ithaca 37, and a who knows when Mossberg 500 slugster. 

I have another 500 also...

image.jpg

25 minutes ago, Jmoreno88 said:

If your club allows 6 its good for the steel kds or spinners. I've run 7.5 with an IC for almost all of my matches

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think  the only shot size limits are on the clays ranges.

its good to know that 7.5 did fine in IC for you.

maybe I need to stay off YouTube for a while....

Run the one that has the longest mag tube. Bring some high brass 4s or 6s for longer steel and run 7.5s everywhere else. A spinner may give you problems, get as close as safely possible and hit it with heavy shot.

Hurley

33 minutes ago, HRider said:

Run the one that has the longest mag tube. Bring some high brass 4s or 6s for longer steel and run 7.5s everywhere else. A spinner may give you problems, get as close as safely possible and hit it with heavy shot.

Hurley

I have my 7 shot Mossberg and my 4 shot Ithaca.

I'm working on a single quad load on the Ithaca, and it's much faster than singles.

I definitely wouldn't modify my Ithaca in any way, so I'll try some different shot sizes. 

The mossberg, while I do love it, it's just not as special, so I'd mod it for choke tubes.

I don't know how much it would cost to buy chokes and thread a barrel for tubes, or how much HeMan/heavy metal that you plan on shooting, but keep in mind that Benelli Novas are pretty cheap (even cheaper used), add a tube, stone the action bars and it is ready to go right out of the box. Not trying to steer you one way or the other, just mentioning options.

Also, Nova Tactical models have fixed chokes, a 24, 26 or 28" vent rib barrel model would be preferred for three gun, in my opinion.

Hurley

Edited by HRider
Edited to add comments about Nova tactical.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:45 AM, HRider said:

I don't know how much it would cost to buy chokes and thread a barrel for tubes, or how much HeMan/heavy metal that you plan on shooting, but keep in mind that Benelli Novas are pretty cheap (even cheaper used), add a tube, stone the action bars and it is ready to go right out of the box. Not trying to steer you one way or the other, just mentioning options.

Also, Nova Tactical models have fixed chokes, a 24, 26 or 28" vent rib barrel model would be preferred for three gun, in my opinion.

Hurley

The Nova does look like a good shotgun, but damn is it ugly!  I do think I can get my barrel threaded for about the price of a replacement barrel.....

It looks like the Rules are killing my dreams of shooting a pump shotgun-AND-being competitive. I wanted to use my existing pumps, because I'm comfortable with them.

I don't want to be restricted to a .30 cal rifle.

I don't want to have to shoot a .45.

I don't understand how 30 cal and .45 relate to pump shotguns. I do have both to shoot when the feeling strikes me, but a regular dose of double ammo/reloading costs is not thrilling.

Nothing says that you can't shoot your pump shotgun in limited, tactical or even open. In natural terrain, large stage matches, the pump is not as much of a hinderance. In bay style matches where shotgun targets are many and close together, you will need to practice more to close the gap on the semi auto crowd. Go shoot your favorite guns and have fun.

Hurley

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:18 PM, HRider said:

Nothing says that you can't shoot your pump shotgun in limited, tactical or even open. In natural terrain, large stage matches, the pump is not as much of a hinderance. In bay style matches where shotgun targets are many and close together, you will need to practice more to close the gap on the semi auto crowd. Go shoot your favorite guns and have fun.

Hurley

I know I'll be handicapped more by my abilities than anything else, so I think I will just have fun, and try for a clean score.

My first match is the weekend after next.

I'll be shooting my CZ p09 9mm, my model 604 AR, and I'll bring my Stoeger M3K, and my beloved Ithaca 37 DS featherweight... 1971 NM State Patrol

Edited by AngelDeVille

• 3 weeks later...