Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Typical primer loss with Dillon 550

When loading mixed 9mm range brass on my 550b I  experience about a 2-3% loss of primers, normally when a primer gets inserted sideways in the primer pocket.  I also may loose some when the primer edge becomes deformed by a crimped primer pocket, and I have to dispose of that primer.  The result is that out of every 1000 primers loaded into the primer tube I may wind up with only 970-980 successfully loaded cartridges.  Is this common?  I try to keep everything clean and aligned properly so as to avoid mechanical press related problems.  Is this loss rate typical?

This has always been a pretty consistent problem.  I've been loading for 47 years, originally on a Rock Chucker, then a SDB starting about 1986, and then the 550b for about the last 5 years.  I've always had this intermittent problem both on my SDB and the 550b.  I just recently started to get PO'd about it

Edited by westy6
spelling

Just curious, but you do have the correct primer cup chingadero installed, and not the one for large primers? The only time I had your issue was when I forgot to switch the primer bar over after loading a bunch of 44s and 45s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow down. If primers are going in sideways or upside down, they were probably that way in the primer cup. You should be glancing at the cup as the slide returns in the up stroke. As for crimped brass, assuming you don’t have a case feeder, a glance at each case head as you move it to station 1 should reveal those. I got in the habit of doing that while turning the case upside down on the way to station 1 after bending a decapping pin on a spent primer that flew into the case bin (but that’s a different 550 issue :)

Make sure the screws that hold the primer feeder tube base in place aren’t too tight. The ones on the bottom. I ruined the base of a feeder tube by over tightening them years again when I first started. Lucky I live two blocks from Dillon and they replaced it for me. Also take some super fine sandpaper and go over the primer slide VERY lightly. You don’t want to remove any material or it will be sloppy. Just SMOOTH it out a tiny tiny bit. Hope that helps. It’s very frustrating when the primer slide won’t feed smoothly.

Thanks for all the thoughts.  I've gone over the primer slide with a fine sandpaper before, and have also experienced problems with the bolts on the primer slide assembly being to tight.  I've solved all previous primer slide issues since I installed a roller bearing kit.  I think njl's advice will help... slow down and inspect the primer end of each case as it goes into position !.  I'm thinking  going too fast may be causing some "bump" which is flipping the primer in primer cup.

Edited by westy6

My 550 destroys about the same percentage of primers as your press.  Its done it for well over 20 years and everything I've tried did not help.

I sent the press to Dillon and had it refurbished in 2015.  I hoped with them working it over it would help but did not.

As for the primers that go into the brass sideways, that is what most of my failures are.  I can watch to assure the primer is flat in the cup and it will still put some in sideways.

Everything is clean and adjusted to the best of my ability. 

If anyone has suggestions, please pass them along.   Right now its just a nuisance but several years ago when primers were hard to find, it was a bit more painful.

10 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Make sure the screws that hold the primer feeder tube base in place aren’t too tight. The ones on the bottom

If the screws were ever overtightened it will deform the tube base and you will experience the problems you are describing.

I have this same failure.  However, my rate is lower than yours.  When everything is clean, it seems to happen less often.  Debris from de-priming finds its way into the priming arm and the primers don’t sit flat any more.  

I am fairly sure this is the culprit as my 1050 is 99.99% on priming.  

You don't have a large primer pick up tube with a yellow small primer plastic end on it do you? The large tubes are same OD as small tubes, just have a larger ID, which would allow the primers to flip over internally. Pull the plastic ends off your tubes and compare the ID of the tubes.

Also, you can flip primers over and insert them in the tube, upside down, if you push down on the edge of a primer. Pay close attention when picking up primers.

On 12/19/2017 at 10:32 PM, missed it by that much said:

Should've bought a Lee :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

One must have only slight experience with a Lee progressive to appreciate a Dillon!

On 12/19/2017 at 9:18 PM, igolfat8 said:

The large tubes are same OD as small tubes, just have a larger ID, which would allow the primers to flip over internally. Pull the plastic ends off your tubes and compare the ID of the tubes.

Or, compare the other end of the tubes.

Get rid of the case holder spring at station one. It is more hassle that its worth. If the spring is not properly in the rim neck, it will tilt the case causing priming issues. 

It’s not supposed to be in anything. It’s supposed to be adjusted to be just a couple MM away from the rim so that case doesn’t back out.

I would double check to be sure you have the right size primer cup installed. I had the same problem a while ago and found that I hadn't changed the primer cup  and punch to small. It's amazing that it works at all with that setup but it does.