Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TACCOM 2-Stage Buffer Setups?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I drank the kool-aid too and at first the recoil impulse felt different but my hits started to group closer. I setup a target at 10 yards and just tried to hammer trigger as fast as I could. Temps were in the high 40s today and my load chrono’d at 128pf. I’m going to do some more testing with some slower powders and take the buffer weight out of bolt since I added the 3rd stage which is almost same weight. 

1 hour ago, XD Niner said:

Good video.  It was interesting to see the second shot hit almost atop the first.

Yeah a couple of the shoots were in top of each other. Going to do another video at farther yardage. 

Night and day difference between the original static buffer and the TACCOM 3-stage buffer, I actually like shooting this gun now.  I still think I can dial in the recoil impulse a little better with load development and possibly different buffer springs, but I like it so far.  Shooting 124 RMR FMJ FN with 3.1gr Titegroup @1050fps.

Edited by 1981Shooter

I received and installed my 3 stage buffer today.  I called Tim to verify I had it setup correctly.  Special shout out to Tim for taking the time to explain the inner workings of the buffer system verifying that my hiperfire trigger was resetting correctly.  He also recommended I try a carbine spring with the 3 stage buffer.  I didn't try the carbine spring yet. I went to an indoor range and test fired 30 rounds.   I will say that the recoil is different than what I expected.  So, Has anyone tried the 3 stage buffer with a carbine spring?  I don't want to start fiddling.  I have a USPSA match Saturday and I'm going to wait until I can test out both springs.

3 minutes ago, stick said:

I received and installed my 3 stage buffer today.  I called Tim to verify I had it setup correctly.  Special shout out to Tim for taking the time to explain the inner workings of the buffer system verifying that my hiperfire trigger was resetting correctly.  He also recommended I try a carbine spring with the 3 stage buffer.  I didn't try the carbine spring yet. I went to an indoor range and test fired 30 rounds.   I will say that the recoil is different than what I expected.  So, Has anyone tried the 3 stage buffer with a carbine spring?  I don't want to start fiddling.  I have a USPSA match Saturday and I'm going to wait until I can test out both springs.

Your Hiperfire trigger should reset even if you were to run over it with a truck.

Now, please explain what you meant by, "I will say that the recoil is different than what I had expected." Something a little more definitive, if you please. :)

26 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Your Hiperfire trigger should reset even if you were to run over it with a truck.

Now, please explain what you meant by, "I will say that the recoil is different than what I had expected." Something a little more definitive, if you please. :)

I was running a carbine buffer spring and heavy buffer.  The recoil felt flippy  (if that makes sense?)  With the three stage buffer, the recoil felt more like a push almost as if the bolt wasn't slamming into the tube. Does that make sense?

With the three stage buffer system, When you pull the charging handle, the first few inches are smooth and easy.  The last two or so inches become much harder.  The bolt is being stopped from slamming into the tube with the inner spring.

On 1/17/2018 at 5:21 AM, TRUBL said:

Guys.......the total stroke on that 9mm is like 2.5" give or take......and thats too long

Stick......that " last two or so inches" is actually.....ONE HALF INCH and that is the 2nd stage 

Dudes always exaggerate length... ;)

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Dudes always exaggerate length... ;)

No kidding. 

One night my second wife kept yelling out, "Benjamin, more. Benjamin, more!"  I said, "What the hell! My name's not Benjamin."

She said, "I was talking about painting the ceiling, you idiot." :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so I have in my possession a 3 stage buffer along with both a rifle and a carbine spring.

My gun has an NFA bolt with the weight removed and the taccom ULW Barrel. I’m primarily using the gun for steel challenge and right now my ammo is about 115pf.

anyone else have a similar setup? What spring works best, bolt weighted or non?

5 hours ago, nickbfishn said:

Okay so I have in my possession a 3 stage buffer along with both a rifle and a carbine spring.

My gun has an NFA bolt with the weight removed and the taccom ULW Barrel. I’m primarily using the gun for steel challenge and right now my ammo is about 115pf.

anyone else have a similar setup? What spring works best, bolt weighted or non?

I'm using the spring that came with the Taccom.  My daughter has the ULW barrel and she also uses the supplied spring.  A friend of mine prefers the carbine spring with his Taccom Buffer.  We both use 147gr ammo and my friend uses 115gr. All of us use weighted bolts.  hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, jtrump said:

So,  I'm confused ^_^......   NEWS @ 11 folks.

In my JP GMR-13,   I'm going to want

https://taccom3g.com/product/taccom-return-cushion/

+

https://taccom3g.com/product/taccom-pcc-adjustable-buffer-system/

or, what is going on the pictures look the same ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

You just need the buffer system.  It comes with the cushion.  The cushion by itself is for older styles that had an adjustable screw.

18 hours ago, jtrump said:

Thanks Tim,  

Thanks Stick

BTW Tim,  I'm the fellow who you  spent about 15 minutes with on the phone today!   Good to meet you on the forums.

ahhh....nice talking with you!!

I shot a 9mm PSA today with the Taccom 3-stage buffer and a hiperfire 24c, this setup was just as soft as a JP GMR-15. I'm highly impressed with how great the 3-stage buffer works. It was easy to group my shots well. I think this is the route I will be going to build my PCC.

So I got this JR Carbine last week......gutted the recoil system, made up a spacer to put in the buffer tube, so that the bolt handle would just come back past that vertical BHO slot they cut into the receiver. Also put on a short muzzle brake. We not only got the rifle to shoot flat (which blew me away).....it was soft and the splits at 15yds were less than 3 inches. Now you down south are going to laugh or wonder what the hell is on the ground.....well....that's called snow.  :)

video-1520716583.mp4

Edited by TRUBL