Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TACCOM 2-Stage Buffer Setups?

6 hours ago, Hammer002 said:

I've been on the fence to mess with a PCC that has run so well for me by fixing something not broken. 

If your magazines, bolt and trigger already play well together, these guns are not very finicky at all.  I changed the recoil spring from 8-16lbs, changed the buffer weight from one extreme to another, tried nearly every conceivable combination of the above, and the gun continued to run 100% reliably.  Even changing the loads (all were FMJ RN) and the gun did not care.

Don't be afraid to tune your rifle to your load, there are some significant gains available to most "as shipped" configurations.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shot the 3-stage buffer this weekend and although not a lot of rounds, there was a noticeable difference in recoil from the Taccom ULW buffer I had been running. Felt very soft, dot tracked and stayed still with just a little bounce. Have to put more rounds thru it, but liking it so far.

gerritm

What's with the post office?  My buffer was delivered on Christmas day, the 24th.

Now everything is drying with my favorite dry lube, Eezox.  This stuff is amazing and now the only thing I use.  The carbon basically just wipes off when I clean.

I should be out tomorrow to shoot and report.

Ubl you have done it again. Just put an order in for the recoil system. It's on backorder so won't ship till the 5th. No biggie, it was 3* here this morning so not planning on a range visit till it gets a little warmer. Really excited to try out this new setup. Tried out a new MPX at the last match  in November, that thing was awesome. With a price tag of above $2k it should be ( aftermarket trigger, carbon fiber handguard, butt stock w/adapter, and red dot/mount). 

On 12/27/2017 at 8:59 AM, TRUBL said:

you never know........I put them out of stock.......but we mmmmmmight have a 5 or 6 as a safety stock. 

Tim

Cool...there is an indoor match next month...so maybe I can get it all together. Still need to install the feed ramp, and make up a few hundred of my intended 124 gr. loads for next year. May also try to slightly mod my Geissele Maritime bolt catch to work on my PSA carbine.

Well, got to try out my Taccom buffer today.  I compared it to my current setup: 20.2 oz. BCG plus buffer weight, flat wound carbine spring, buffer has moving weights for dead blow effect.

The good:  Softest shooting buffer I have tried.  Very noticeable over my current (and best) setup.  I have not tried hydraulic or JP.  Dot movement seemed about the same as my current setup.  With more comparison time and and measurement, I may revise that.

The bad: Extremely hard to lock back the bolt.  I could feel the setup bottom out and still had a hard time.  I ended up loading to a closed bolt and racking the slide to chamber most of the time.  LRBHO did not work.  It could be the spring binding or the setup is a little too long.  I used the Taccom spring provided and their cushion.  I am going to shoot again with my normal flat wound carbine spring, which I know doesn't bind.  If that doesn't work, a call to Taccom.  Seems it would be easy to shorten the rod, but I will talk to them before making any modifications myself.

I do like the softer shooting, even though my normal setup is not what I would call harsh.

OK, not the spring binding.  When I can lock the bolt back (requires me putting the stock on the bench and pulling back hard on the charging handle), I cannot even release the bolt without doing a palm slam against the release.  Will call Taccom tomorrow.

I don't see why others are not having this problem.  BCM AR upper, CMMG lower and bolt.  Everything has worked fine through 4 different 9mm length buffers and a variety of springs.  It's not as though you can assemble the Taccom buffer wrong.  Can you?

10 minutes ago, BartCarter said:

OK, not the spring binding.  When I can lock the bolt back (requires me putting the stock on the bench and pulling back hard on the charging handle), I cannot even release the bolt without doing a palm slam against the release.  Will call Taccom tomorrow.

I don't see why others are not having this problem.  BCM AR upper, CMMG lower and bolt.  Everything has worked fine through 4 different 9mm length buffers and a variety of springs.  It's not as though you can assemble the Taccom buffer wrong.  Can you?

Mine won’t lock back either. Wont even get close! Hasn’t really bothered me as I can’t think of a scenario where locking the bolt back would be necessary. I did almost call Tim today just to make sure that it was supposed to be this way. Perhaps he will chime in here? 

First thing......there is no spring bind, the recoil spring does not go solid, period.....that would just be a stupid and unsafe design.......put that one to rest.

What a lot of people do not realize is that the mil spec carbine buffer tube is not flat on the bottom......it is an impact extrusion and is not even machined on the ID.....try this sometime.....take a rod as a 'feeler' and stick it down the tube and you will 'feel' the angle.....that will play into this later.

And yes....as designed, the BHO may or may not work properly.....BUT you can get it to work properly very easy. You see, one the reasons we did this was to get the the absolute least amount of stroke travel possible and well....the BHO was the least of our concerns. BUT, yeah, some people just have to have that, even for competition. The bolt does however....have to come back far enough to reset the trigger (and it does)

So, what to do??? how to fix this obvious design design flaw? (NOT!!) Remove the black delrin pad.......you end up with a little more stroke and little more noise (mmmmmmmaybe) and still have a smooth, safe recoil system. BUT wait Tim!!! NOW....you have a steel piece hitting the aluminum!!! IT's gonna wear out and punch a hole in the bottom of my buffer tube!!! well......uhmmmmmm......mmmmmmmaybe if that steel was a sharp spike and solid!! But no, it has a flat end and is spring loaded.....it will hit, but retract and not cause any harm what so ever. Ohhhh, I guess you could put a huge chamfer on the back of the delrin pad so that is fits better in the bottom of that buffer tube (you know, the bottom that isn't flat?) or you could trim a little off the front end of that delrin as well.

Bottom line......I can only think of a few reasons to actually have BHO for competition......

1) to pop up during a COF while you still have a magazine with rounds in it during a COF .....end result.....you just screwed your stage

2) you don't plan well and need the BHO to remind you to change magazines

3) you aren't good with mechanical things and need that BHO when you put your chamber flag in as your '3rd hand'

piece of cake......drive on and have the smoothest 9mm recoil system possible........boom!!, done!!! He scores!!!!

Edited by TRUBL
47 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Good response Tim. I'm looking forward to using mine.

As for holding the bolt open? Ask our friends in the pistol classes how they like their's. 

I purposely order my MBX with out that feature.. I could care less about the last round leaving the bolt open.