Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Seat & Crimp Dies

Has anyone ever tried this die?

https://www.doublealpha.biz/daa-2-in-1-seating-and-crimping-die

First of all, I know seat/crimp dies are the devil, however I have some nerve damage in my fingers which makes placing the bullet on the case slow for me.

I am contemplating putting this in station 4 on my 550 to allow me to run a mini bullet feeder at station 3.

On the flip side, I don't really want to compromise the accuracy of my ammo, which is currently perfect in my eyes.

Any thoughts or experiences? Obviously the description of the product indicates that DAA worked with Lee to create this wonder die that won't give you the typical problems of a combo seat/crimp die, but don't know how good/not good it really is.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not that one, have used the Lees it looks exactly the same as.

Obviously there may be internal changes to the crimping surface dimensions that could make a big difference.

My experience with crimping and seating in the same station is that it is fine as long as the bullets are not too far over SAAMI diameter and you're not trying to crimp real hard on lead/coated. 

And, how does this die differ from every other seating die with built-in crimp?

You still have to first set the COL, back out the seating stem, set the crimp, lock the crimp setting, lower the seating stem to contact the bullet, and lock the seating stem.

Back in the early '70s I did testing with 9x19, .45 Auto, 38 Spl, and .44 Mag, and in all cases my ammunition was slightly more accurate if I crimped separate from seating. This is why I went to a Hornady AP at the time as Dillon one had a 4-station progressive out.

Old Fart moment:

back then, almost all die sets had the decapper as part of the expander, so all new sizing dies were required. I got one of the very first RCBS carbide sizing/decapping dies and it has almost ZERO chamfer to ease the case into the die. You learn a lot about die alignment when there is simply no room for error.

So, for a few years my set-up was:

size/primer

expand

manually cycle powder measure

Inspect powder in case and seat bullet

Crimp

Couldn't do this with only 4 stations.

• 4 weeks later...