Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blowing primers question?

Utah Shooter

4.3 grains of HP-38 Berrys 115gr at an oal of 1.130.  I am getting a blown primer here and there.  It also seems that the recoil is a bit high.  I am wonderng if I should change my oal or not?  I do not think that the charge is excessive so not sure what else to do.  Any ideas?

9 hours ago, rishii said:

9mm?

this is becoming a standard answer for all 9mm questions regarding over pressure, blown cases, case head separations

have you checked for stepped brass 

Stepped brass?

On 12/17/2017 at 9:29 AM, Unicoi said:

Any pictures of the case head?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I am going to look for one.  I am cleaning the reloading room and throwing them out as well as all my military 9mm brass.  I will look.  

On 12/17/2017 at 8:11 AM, mlmiller1 said:

Any chance youre pushing the bullets into the lands?  IOW, have you plunk checked the overall length?

Yes always plunk test in all 3 pistols.  

On 12/17/2017 at 5:12 AM, lgh said:

You should chrono your loads and see where you are relative to published data. Also, it is easier to troubleshoot problems if you are using single headstamp brass when working up a load.

Yeah I forgot about that one.  Problem is I am that guy scooping brass brass up after seeing someone shoot them out of a box they just purchased.  

On 12/17/2017 at 1:17 AM, superdude said:

if you're shooting 9mm luger, there's no way 4.3 grains of hp38/231 should be blowing primers. 

hodgdon shows a start load of 4.7 grains with a 115 grain speer gdhp, and a max of 5.1 grains.

check your scale!

I have and not sure what is going on.  

On 12/17/2017 at 1:01 AM, BillGarlandJr said:

What are you shooting these out of, and out of curiosity, what primers are you running?

Glock 34 and a couple of CZ's.  I know CZ's have a shorter throat but they all pass the plunk test.    CCi 500's.  

By the way thank you all for the responses.

Edited by Utah Shooter

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, magpulled said:

Are you sure your scale is set to grains and not grams ? 

Seen that happen before but I would think if that’s the case the powder would be spilling out the case mouth. 

One gram equals 15.4 grains.  

4.3 grams equals 66.3 grains.