Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore + Amazon Tablet + BT Printer = NoGo

adamge

I have some Chinese bluetooth thermal battery powered printers.  These work decently with Google Android devices.  The printer becomes a Share option in Practiscore, so I just hit Share and it prints.

However now we are switching to Amazon tablets because they are cheaper.  But it seems like there's no way to cause the Share button to print to the printer.  I can download the Bluetooth Print app and print inside that App.  In Android this is where the Printer Driver install comes in, and I'm using POS Printer Driver for that.  But there seems to be no support in Amazon OS for printer drivers.

Has anyone cracked this biscuit?

euxx, can you just tie in the Bluetooth Print app inside the Practiscore apk so pressing the share button sends the content to this 3rd party app, which then prints, all in the background?

Hmm... What is the question exactly?

As far as I know, USPSA Eastern Lakes Sectional match did run Kindles with portable BT printers this year. I didn't had to change PractiScore for that match and they reported everything worked flawless.

I've never used a Kindle.  Are they running the same OS as the Fire tablets?  Can you put me in touch with those users?

I could send you our club's printer and Fire HD 8 tablet, if that would help the development.

• 1 month later...

Did you get this working? We bought a fire HD 8 and I was able to get the printer driver working but it required adding an unsupported version of the Google play store. I'm worried that any updates will break this. Love to hear any one elses thoughts, we are likely going all Lenovo/Android for the IPSC Canadian Nationals.

• 2 months later...

• 11 months later...
On 4/15/2018 at 5:38 PM, KKi_ipscfin said:

Well I did my best...and did the above exactly as described, being very careful to load each file in the correct order, and unpack with the same cautions...THREE times on 3 different Kindle Fire 8's, all to no avail. Getting pretty discouraged with the Kindle product for this BT Printer effort. My last resort might be to try to 'hard wire' the Kindle to the POS printer, skipping the BT connection altogether. 

However, I need to know if anyone has taken this route and could share with me the printer used. Not all POS thermal printers have a 'com' port into which you would plug the cable from  the 'micro USB' port on the Kindle, and the 'spec's list on Amazon live a lot to be desired most times...

Anyone? 

Jim