Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MEC Grabber Missing Shots

BoyGlock

Bought it used but universal charge bar is new. Load is 1 oz. 7-1/2 Cheddite lead birdshot. When it occurs it consecutively misses until I notice it after crimping because crimp is deeply dished. Sometimes only a few shots drops, most times non at all. Had to tap the bs bottle to drop shots again. Quite annoying and distracting to say the least. Bridging shots or mechanical issues? Should I go for larger shots? Is this common in shot reloading? I barely recall if I had this in Lee Load All also. Tia

• 2 months later...

Lossen your shot bottle a bit. It’s good for MEC bottles to have a little rattle. Next check your drop tube. MEC’s aren’t built to high tolerances and a lot of the tubes will have burrs. So debur and wax if necessary. 

Next look at your shot. Good shot is lightly and evenly coated with graphite. Lightly coated. There is some really cheap shot that isn’t coated. 

7  1/2 shot is fine and should rarely if ever bridge. 

Edited by Lagamor

On 2/17/2018 at 7:48 AM, Lagamor said:

Lossen your shot bottle a bit. It’s good for MEC bottles to have a little rattle. Next check your drop tube. MEC’s aren’t built to high tolerances and a lot of the tubes will have burrs. So debur and wax if necessary. 

Next look at your shot. Good shot is lightly and evenly coated with graphite. Lightly coated. There is some really cheap shot that isn’t coated. 

7  1/2 shot is fine and should rarely if ever bridge. 

Thank you. Will check asap.