Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bi focal or not?

biglou13

Dominant eye lens?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I got a cheap pair of percription  glasses to test occupational scrip/ shooting perscription

got a cheap pair to test the percription before ordering final pair of glasses 

non dominant eye almost no correction for distantance 

dominant eyes rx'd for just past front sight focus. Single perscription 

im very excited to see front sight crisp again!!!

shot about 50 rounds today, quick indoor range trip...  I'm back to both eyes open and faster target acquisition, much tighter shot groups....   (still need a little more time with them of a bit off  left right)

on these test test glasses Dominant eye is a single  lens

now I'm questioning if I should go to bi focal for dominant eye?

if I do go bi focal, is top or bottom for near field vision?

part of me is thinking go with single  on dominant eye ... thinking I'll end up bobbing head on site /target acquisition with bi focal lens..and keeping solution a simple as possible....

I imagine brain brain will Eventually accommodate to  scrip to allow you to see well enough to move.....

i need to to have new glasses ordered before this insurance year end.

i couldn't get contact lenses to work.

please advise....

thanks in advance!

Edited by biglou13

Normally wear progressives.  For iron sights, I have single Rx, distance for non-dominant eye (left), near RX (focus as front sight) for dominant eye.  For CO I use my normal glasses as I can see the dot better. 

I have a stick on reading lens at the top of my shooting glasses of the dominant eye. It’s okay but I believe it should be a single scrip. Reason is because at certain shooting positions, I lose the use of the lens because of the position my head is in. Stand up shooting is no problem but when I have to get into low positions (low ports, prone etc) I lose it. 

I voted single prescription but don't practice what I preach and considering a solution not in your choices. Currently have normal progressive prescription minus a prism correction (since its for both eye alignment, not applicable when shooting). My particular eyesight is such that the front sight is crystal clear without correction. In fact, I ran a couple matches last year without any correction. The problem is that I'm blind enough at far distance that I was missing targets and racking up FTE's. So I am considering having a new set made up with no correction in my dominant eye and far correction in the weak eye (complicating things further, I am cross-dominant: right hand, left eye).

today's range session with scrip     fell apart at 10 and 15 yards!!!!

still good at 3-7yard ?!

how far past front sight (towards target) did you your optometrist set scrip/focus? or what change from actual front sight focus?

Edited by biglou13

I use +.75 to my distance prescription in my shooting lens and same bifocal (right lens) My left lens is is the same. I put a piece of tape over the left lens for irons.

This will give you good front sight and not so fuzzy target. It's called a controlled blur.

On 12/14/2017 at 3:02 PM, zombywoof said:

Don't you need bi-focals for reloads etc.....

i  am able to reload magazine with no correction

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I use +.75 to my distance prescription in my shooting lens and same bifocal (right lens) My left lens is is the same. I put a piece of tape over the left lens for irons.

This will give you good front sight and not so fuzzy target. It's called a controlled blur.

sorry just to be clear (i've read the same before )     you are adding +.75 to front sight focus?

i've been hitting the range daily to confirm prescription.   while shooting both eyes open i'm still seeing a bit of a double image   with the blurry /front sight focus image is the good one....   i'm told that the +.75 will help merge the "double vision"

My eye doctor is also a shooter so he did the following for me. Right eye I can see the front sight. Left eye can see a tad further. I have known folks that have tried this and it gave them a headache. According to my eye doctor you can only gradually increase the left eye. 

Bifocals made me trip over my own two feet.

On 12/15/2017 at 10:44 PM, biglou13 said:

i  am able to reload magazine with no correction

sorry just to be clear (i've read the same before )     you are adding +.75 to front sight focus?

i've been hitting the range daily to confirm prescription.   while shooting both eyes open i'm still seeing a bit of a double image   with the blurry /front sight focus image is the good one....   i'm told that the +.75 will help merge the "double vision"

When I shoot irons, I use an old pair of glasses with my right lens tweaked for front sight focus. My current distance (Sphere) prescription is -2.00 in my right eye. So +.75 to that right lens is -1.25. (-2.00 +.75 = -1.25) .

I have a hard time using both eyes with irons, no problem with dots. So that's where a piece of tape on the left lens helps me. I keep it high on the lens just to block the target and still use bifocals for equipment manipulation. No double vision.

I'm an old highpower shooter. So for pistol, AR and short barreled rifles it's +.75. For long barreled rifles, M1, 1903 etc... it is +.50. We're looking at the front sight and targets 200-600 yards away. So, the father the front sight is away from you, the less correction you need. You need to see the target!

So the lens is set to focus some distance in front of the firearm. Our eyes cannot focus on three things at the same time ( rear sight, front sight and target). That's why it's a controlled blur. The rear sight is out of focus but still visible, the front sight is in better focus and the target is still visible but not in perfect focus.

This works for my tired old eyes. I know there are a couple other ways. Good luck, hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to experiment on the cheap just order some of the Elvex glasses that you can get in varying Rx for about $7.50 each. They're full lens magnifiers. I'm a -1.5 for reading so I tried the -1.5,  and -.75 and ended up going back to my normal 0.0 for some reason.  

One thing to keep in mind: indoor and outdoor visibility/clarity of your front sight may vary depending on brightness. I normally need a -1.5 for reading but when I was coaching and keeping box scores in bright sunlight I didn't need any Rx at all because of depth of field, etc.  so remember to take a look under both conditions.  YMMV

After experimenting with a range of cheap top bifocals from SSP, I had Tactical RX make me a pair based on some Rudy frames that fit well and have good coverage. I use +2.0 readers for normal reading, computer, and close work and have good infinity vision, right eye dominant. 

So I did a larger (40% of the area) top area of my dominant eye with a lessor magnification of +1.75 so my pistol sights are in focus without doing any head gyrations. My left non-dominant eye is clear. 

My brain corrects and while the sights are crystal clear, infinity is better than with readers but not perfect. Also I can switch to scoped rifle and shotgun and look through the majority clear part of my dominant lens without making a conscious adjustment, everything is where it should be and I can shoot my long guns properly (the shotgun sight are far enough away to be sharp enough). 

The only downside is that I do have to contort my head to see anything close when working on guns or wanting to check the ammo I'm loading. I still keep a pair of cheap readers or bifocals in my range bag for that (and it's good to have a spare anyway). 

Nothing wrong with the cheap glasses but having quality frames that fit snug and wrap around a bit to provide more protection is nicer. If the glasses do not fit snug then get a Croakie eyeglass retainer with the rubber cinching bead and tighten them up so they aren't shifting on you when you're moving around. 

Edited by Frankly