Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XTR-12 vs VEPR-12

Rudukai13

Looking at which box-fed shotgun I want to purchase, I've decided on one of these two. I'm stuck between the more well-established reliability of the VEPR, versus the vastly more familiar form factor/manual of arms of the XTR...

Any advice/suggestions to help me make my decision?

I looked at both as a replacement for my MKA 1919 Match and ended up going with the VEPR-12. I couldn't find enough information on the XTR-12 and my experience with the 1919 soured me on Turkish shotguns due to the lack of support and inability to get parts.  EAA has the worst customer service of any company I've ever dealt with.  Aftermarket parts for the VEPR-12 are readily available however the addition of the VEPR- 12 to the list of banned Russian guns will affect the availability of original parts.  There are several sources for aftermarket magazines for the VEPR.  Midway USA sells a magazine pouch that will work for VEPR-12 magazines.

The VEPR-12 Section or the VEPR.org forums has a wealth of information and I spent a lot of time reading before I bought one.  There are a lot of good videos on u-tube by VforVandetta who occasionally posts on this forum.  I have also watched a lot of U-tube videos of Russian and European IPSC shotgun competition.

My VEPR-12 shot Federal bulk pack out of the box so have been very happy with it so far. Out of the box they are not really set up for competition so It will still will take some work to get it there. I've done all the work myself except my bolt carrier is now at Dissident Arms getting a left side charging handle installed.  I put a AR-15 extension and buttstock on, added a magazine well flare, installed a extended magazine release, stripped and polished carrier, bolt, and carrier rails, and replaced the trigger with a ALG AK enhanced trigger, you can buy them modded for the VEPR-12 but I did it myself.  I removed the rear sight, put some skateboard tape on the fore end and cut off the left side sling attachment loop. Purchased a comp and a couple chokes.  I am replacing the dust cover polymer rail with an aluminum one and using a c-more railway for a optic.  I fabricated a coupler and made a 20 round magazine out of two SGM magazines and will make another one for 15 rounds.

As far as operation the only significant difference on my gun will be the safety.  With a little practice I don't feel it slows me down at all.  The time it takes me to get the gun from the starting position to pointed in on the target is plenty to manipulate the safety.  The current safety with the thumb activation tab cuts into my trigger finger and plan on modding it next.  I know R&R makes an AR style safety for the VEPR-12 but I do not know the cost.

I believe Josh Froelich would be the person to ask. From what I understand he put quite a few rounds (70,000+) on a VEPR this year and won a couple of bigger matches. Open really comes down to reliability, just like any other gun in any other division. The Dissident VEPR's flat run. You don't have to waste your time tinkering, you don't have to constantly fiddle with them and you certainly don't need to use your unicorn blood for sacrifices anymore. I personally don't want to put up with 99% reliability, it's not worth the frustration or the potential for affecting my performance. 

Disclaimer: Lan (Dissident) did up my M2 back before they got big and we run a match or 2 together in Texas. I still troll him on a bi-weekly basis :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

I believe Josh Froelich would be the person to ask. From what I understand he put quite a few rounds (70,000+) on a VEPR this year and won a couple of bigger matches. Open really comes down to reliability, just like any other gun in any other division. The Dissident VEPR's flat run. You don't have to waste your time tinkering, you don't have to constantly fiddle with them and you certainly don't need to use your unicorn blood for sacrifices anymore. I personally don't want to put up with 99% reliability, it's not worth the frustration or the potential for affecting my performance. 

Disclaimer: Lan (Dissident) did up my M2 back before they got big and we run a match or 2 together in Texas. I still troll him on a bi-weekly basis :ph34r:

I shoot with Mike & Lan from Dissident and have seen their VEPR's run great.  Many many rounds. Even though I shoot a T&N MKA1919 that also runs 99.9%. Usual problems with mag fed are the mags.  I would seriously consider a Dissident shotgun.

Now I know a couple of other shooters who have tried box stock ones and no bueno. Many problems. 

gerritm

• 2 weeks later...

I'd prefer to not rely on either Russia or Turkey for parts, but until that day, we Open shooters will have to get by.

I kinda like what I've seen from the VEPRs coming out of DA and I even bought two host guns to have modified, but they dont run any flatter and definitely not better than my Firebirds, so I'm holding off on getting them built up for now. I'd def take a DA VEPR over an XTR any day though.