Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoot ALL the Targets Dummy!!!

Eureka1911

Even the ones you taped and then forgot were there, right below your line of sight!!! Two targets were just below some barrels at an angle, two poppers were farther out. I'd taped the paper after earlier shooters. Blasted my way through the stage, got to the end, shot the two poppers, and then forgot the two paper targets just below my line of sight!!  DUH!!  The RO even asked me "Are you sure you are done"!!!

Oh well, one more thing to add to my ever growing list of things to never do again!!

yep, yet another match screw up in my repertoire.  last match i forgot to engage one that was out of the way.  then, when i thought i was finished, i remembered another one out of the way i forgot and ran for that.  fortunately i ran into the RO and got a re-shoot and very fortunately (and nicely) they let me know about the one i totally forgot, so my 2nd run was WAY better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was not going to be last for the first time ever.  Wasn't having a 'good' match, but there were some good moments and thought maybe I could one day actually be good at this.

Last stage we had to carry a suitcase around and it threw me off.  As soon as I picked it up, I knew I forgot a target array.  That mental FUBAR then caused me to forget my plan and I forgot the opposing array on the other side.

Forgot 4 targets in total.

Got last again.

• 1 month later...

Sometimes the best is ours minds worst enemy. It can make us go too fast when we know when should pace ourselves for those long shots or skip targets we know are there. My buddy I shoot with is always getting onto me for going to fast. He made me shoot his Beretta 92 DAO for two matches to force me to slow down. I can say that it did help my trigger control with that long heavy trigger

I had this same problem recently. A buddy of mine is working on helping me "Imprint" the stage into my mind. i've noticed if i take an extrafew seconds before the buzzer to run the entire stage in my head i tend to forget less targets.

• 3 months later...

Yup. Been there. Especially "memory stages". Or ones with multiple engagement choices. 

Usually its because I didn't groove in my plan and walkthrough well enough - or - I am rushing trying to push my sense of speed and movement instead of engaging the targets one at a time, one shot at at time, instead of worrying about getting to the next position as fast as possible.

I managed to miss a target in stage briefing, walkthrough and during my shooting. A shame really, since the stage went really well apart from that. I was 13th with 67%. I also managed to pull off my fastest competition draw ever, 0.87s with AC hits.

I even counted the shots and targets but somehow managed to count the correct number of shots, so I counted one target twice. The best part though? It's all on video! Contrary to the IG post, there was an error while counting the scores and I wasn't hit with a PROC, only two misses.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2018 at 6:00 PM, rjn said:

Dont assume the steel is down because you heard it, always scan back!

Can confirm. Had one Tuesday that I shot twice, beginning and end of stage that just wouldn’t fall. Ended up being malfunctioning steel, but still!

Missed stage brief after lunch at Area 8 this weekend, didn't get to walk stage at all and then first shooter had a gun breakdown 3 targets in. I was up second and just finished loading mags. Totally should have said "not ready yet" but went ahead and shot it. Left a wide open target in the middle of the stage. Very stupid and disappointing but completely my fault for not asking to let another shooter go. Hard lesson to learn. 

Area 8 this past weekend was the first time I've ever missed a target in a year or so of shooting with regular matches. I've missed shots before, but never blanked while running the stage and forgot a target all together. Happened twice in one match. One was an aggressive stage plan and the other was a plan I modified after committing the first to memory. Hard lessons, had a few stages I crushed, a few that were where I'd expect, and then got killed on a few. My big takeaway is really memorize and visualize the stage plan. 

On 7/21/2018 at 6:05 AM, stick said:

mib.jpg

Lol now this is the truth. 

I was first shooter on the on the first stage at an IDPA match and totally forgot 2 targets in the first array.  When I got the last array I looked at my gun like why the heck haven’t I had to reload yet and I realized what I had done but it was too late  at that point to make it worth going back.