Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Part suggestions

Eric1231

I am considering building my first 2011 and I need some advice on parts. What do you guys recommend for the frame...PT, CK, STI or other and why? How about the slide? I am considering making the gun a 5.5" gun if that makes a difference. I am probably going to go with a PT Evo grip if that makes a difference. As of right now I am just researching all my options, I haven't bought any thing or fully decided on anything yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

PT frame and grip, Dawson magwell, Infinity trigger, Caspian slide, Nowlin or Bar-Sto barrel, EGW safeties and internals. 

All good stuff

PT is twice the frame STI is from tolerance stand point IMHO

to bad that STI gave up on QC, again IMHO

Obviously there's no way to say exactly until you have the actual parts.  But I would say generally, you can expect to have to remove .005 or so from the bottom of the slide and about the same from each side of the frame.  Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.   

Edited by ltdmstr

5 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

PT frame and grip, Dawson magwell, Infinity trigger, Caspian slide, Nowlin or Bar-Sto barrel, EGW safeties and internals. 

I don’t have experience with Nowlin barrels but the Barstow I’ve done have required either bumping back the vis or trimming the radius on the foot of the barrel than a kkm.  I don’t know i mid there’s a difference on a bushing barrel but they’re different to me

Good advise so far.  If you are using a PT grip, stay with a PT frame. Makes everything better. Caspian slide will beat everyone else's. Brian at PT started slides, but I have been out of the pistol end for a little while. The Caspian slide will need some cutting to fit, but it is worth knowing that you will have a combo that you won't wear out. I have had good luck with the KKM barrels.

Hello: I have built a couple of PT setups now and I must say the quality of steel is terrific. These have been open pistols. Not sure if you are building a limited 5.5" or a open pistol? PT make 5" slides but not sure if they make a 6" you can cut down. For a slide I would go with a Caspian or Foster if not the PT. For a barrel I would try to get a Schuemann. EGW hammer and sear, ISMI springs, Dawson firing pin, and safeties you like. Thanks, Eric

12 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Exactly what I'm doing, except I started with a JEM Guns frame and slide.

I'm in the middle of a 1911 build with a JEM frame and Caspian slide.  Very little removed from the frame rails, or the bottom of the slide.  They were a good match.

Hello: I have built a couple of PT setups now and I must say the quality of steel is terrific. These have been open pistols. Not sure if you are building a limited 5.5" or a open pistol? PT make 5" slides but not sure if they make a 6" you can cut down. For a slide I would go with a Caspian or Foster if not the PT. For a barrel I would try to get a Schuemann. EGW hammer and sear, ISMI springs, Dawson firing pin, and safeties you like. Thanks, Eric

Where do you get PT slides from I don't see any listed any where?

7 hours ago, Eric1231 said:

Where do you get PT slides from I don't see any listed any where?

The slides are relatively new. The only place I've seen them in stock I believe is Atlas Gunworks. 

I ordered mine straight from PT.  They just had a Black Friday sale on them too!