Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel holes reversable?

RGC

RGC, I would have to ask "why" first in order to see what the intention of the gun owner, such as, is the slide being replaced and the new slide is not going to be machined as extensively as the one that is being replaced. If the answer is along those lines, than replacing the barrel would be the option if a new slide was to be fitted. 

8 hours ago, Garmil said:

If you used an island barrel seems like it would be plenty of material to thread and plug

I've seen this tried several times, eventually the plug/s came out.

No it wasn't I who tried it.

Rich

I recently filled 3 x 5mm diameter hybrid holes in 2 Trubor bull barrels. The holes were then tapped for 6mm bolts.

Then I placed two bullets down each barrel to cover the base of the holes.

With JBL steel reinforced epoxy filling the holes and the threads of the bolts, I tightened each bolt until they touched the bullets, then backed off one quarter of a turn.

After 24 hours of hardening I milled off the protruding bolts and took out the bullets.

The end result was a much better shooting experience as I found that the removal of the hybrids made for a better and less 'wiggly' initial part of the recoil cycle.

My long distance accuracy shots improved and the recoil difference was minimal. The gas volume increase also cleaned the compensator ports more.

So far there has been no movement of the bolts.

In hindsight I would also consider using a longer bolt with a non threaded portion near the head. One could then cut the bolt so that it binds at the top of the hybrid hole.

Jim