Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Budget Shotgun

m39nut

I am thinking about a budget shotgun for 3gun(bank of dad is broke). If you are willing to clean it after each match is the 930 JM Pro viable or should I just go for a M3000/M3K? How do both of these hold up? Or is my old 1187 going to do as well as both of these for reliability and durability? I already have the easyloader and extended tube on it.

I am thinking about a budget shotgun for 3gun(bank of dad is broke). If you are willing to clean it after each match is the 930 JM Pro viable or should I just go for a M3000/M3K? How do both of these hold up? Or is my old 1187 going to do as well as both of these for reliability and durability? I already have the easyloader and extended tube on it.

Three gun is expensive enough that if your on a tight budget and you already have a shotgun that runs, I wouldn't upgrade it until it starts to fail you and you try out some other guns at matches. Most guys are happy to let you test fire or run a stage with their shotgun

Edit: realized I didn’t answer the question

If you are going to get one, take a look at the upgraded M3000 from MOA. Lots of value in their package deal.

I’ll be the black sheep here and say I bought a jm pro and have had ZERO issues with it. I installed some of the OR3GUN parts and the SkyTac parts and knock on wood, it’s ran like a raped ape. I keep it clean just like you will need to do with ANY gas gun. I was told by Mr. Benny Hill (helped design it) that they are 50/50. They either run great out of the box like mine, or don’t at all like 2 he had. Apparently mossberg will do right and fix it but I wouldn’t want to do all of that. With all of this being said, I’d go stoeger for sure. Seems like a “cheaper benelli” and moa seems to be putting out some top notch gear. I looked into them and everyone else I could find before settling on a Hayes M2. I strongly agree with the post above. I would try what I had or borrow someone’s shotgun before I invested too much money to make sure you want to play the game. Some people get heavy in and never enjoy it and then sale their gear CHEAP on here. I would strongly recommend stalking the classifieds here also. I’ve seen some deeply discounted shotguns from all the custom shops like triangle shooting, RCI, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The jm pros are usually hit or miss. If you can test it out before you buy then it might be a way to go. I love my m3000, couple little upgrades and its great. I think I have around 700 all in total with my m3000

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:09 PM, DesertTortoise said:

Three gun is expensive enough that if your on a tight budget and you already have a shotgun that runs, I wouldn't upgrade it until it starts to fail you and you try out some other guns at matches. Most guys are happy to let you test fire or run a stage with their shotgun

Edit: realized I didn’t answer the question

If you are going to get one, take a look at the upgraded M3000 from MOA. Lots of value in their package deal.

Since my 1187 has run flawlessly up to now, I will take your advice and keep using it for the time being. If it starts to give me trouble I'll evaluate my option them. Thanks!

I just picked up my M3k tonight, I will get to put it through its paces this weekend.

I have handled the JM mossberg in the store, but the Stoeger just looked cooler, so I based my purchase solely on that..

I have several trustworthy pumps, but I really wanted a semi auto for 3 gun.

Taccom +5

I need to take 1.5" off the stock before I take it out.

20171211_184113_2.jpg

Edited by AngelDeVille

I just picked up my M3k tonight, I will get to put it through its paces this weekend.

I have handled the JM mossberg in the store, but the Stoeger just looked cooler, so I based my purchase solely on that..

I have several trustworthy pumps, but I really wanted a semi auto for 3 gun.

Taccom +5

I need to take 1.5" off the stock before I take it out.

20171211_184113_2.jpg

Yea the stocks are a little long. I put the compact stock on and it's perfect now

2 minutes ago, Jmoreno88 said:

Yea the stocks are a little long. I put the compact stock on and it's perfect now

What at is the LOP on the compact?  I'm reading on the interweb that it is 11.5". 

I like mine around 13"

My son picked up a Stoeger M3k for $599 new. We put over a 100 rds of Walmart Federal and some slugs through it with a TACCOM tube. Worked perfectly. Of course it needs sights, a decent recoil pad and a few other things, but what SG doesn't. Overall, he was quite pleased. 

I bought a M3K before the season started in 2017. Ran a bunch of heavy loads plus about 5 different kinds of full power slugs through it when it was new. Ran Winchester AA 1300's for my one big match of the season, and the rest Federal dove and game ammo by the case (1200 fps I think). Around 1k with only one malfunction that I can remember, and FTE with the AA's oddly enough. Remington reduced recoil slugs work great in it. 

I M3K fiber optic sights are fine for me. Just added a Nordic +8 tube and shot it. I did smooth a few rough edges on the loading port, but nothing serious. I did see today that MOA has added a new recoil spring available for the M3K. This is to add reliability in running low fps rounds. I will pick one up before season, its only $20.

Link:

http://moaprecision.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=25rrspring&cat=7&page=1&search=&since=0&status=&title=

Edited by 3GLewie

I really like my M3K. I had it shipped to MOA Precision for their package deal. The only problem I had was the extractor wouldn’t always grab the cheap aluminum based shells. I installed the Benelli extractor and spring and it runs great. I think Tom should add those parts to the “package”.

When I bought my Benelli M2 I was in grad school. 3 seasons later I do not regret having to buy 18+ chickens at 50cents a lb and eating WAY more rice and potatoes than chicken for a while.  I've seen 930's fall apart nearly any way you can think of including having the safety literally shoot out the back. The M3000's are less troublesome but again, not 100% that I've seen. 

My M2 has been great. The old school M2's like Kurt's really set a standard for the 3 gun shotgun. The Hayes and TTI M2's I've seen at matches and practices run phenomenal. Buying the Benelli will get you into a gun that you can run 200,000+ rounds with some basic $40 spring replacements maybe every 20k....if you want to go overboard and replace the springs. You wont have to fix it, you wont have to upgrade it in the future. You and 4 buddies can run it at a 250+ round shotgun match and not have a single worry. Shoot the gun you have until you can swing the M2. Then in 3 years you can post how much you still love Denna...err..YOUR M2... :ph34r:

33 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

When I bought my Benelli M2 I was in grad school. 3 seasons later I do not regret having to buy 18+ chickens at 50cents a lb and eating WAY more rice and potatoes than chicken for a while.  I've seen 930's fall apart nearly any way you can think of including having the safety literally shoot out the back. The M3000's are less troublesome but again, not 100% that I've seen. 

My M2 has been great. The old school M2's like Kurt's really set a standard for the 3 gun shotgun. The Hayes and TTI M2's I've seen at matches and practices run phenomenal. Buying the Benelli will get you into a gun that you can run 200,000+ rounds with some basic $40 spring replacements maybe every 20k....if you want to go overboard and replace the springs. You wont have to fix it, you wont have to upgrade it in the future. You and 4 buddies can run it at a 250+ round shotgun match and not have a single worry. Shoot the gun you have until you can swing the M2. Then in 3 years you can post how much you still love Denna...err..YOUR M2... :ph34r:

Great advice.  Every time that i’ve bought the “value” version of the gun I really wanted, it always cost me more.