Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem 1100, is it worth using for 3 gun?

jcc7x7

Got an old 1100 that runs hunting stuff fine.

I shoot 1-3 local matches a year, usually barrow another shooters gun!

Should I spend a couple hundred bucks on it or just buy the guy a 100 box of ammo as a thank you for using his gun!!!

It's all fun and games until you KimberDave a quadload and one gets caught under the lifter. Then yer screwed.

If you can disassemble a 1100 on the clock really really really fast, without sweeping anybody, in the middle of a jungle run, I'd say the 1100 is the right gun for you!

Loved my Tac4 dearly, added a EZ Loader, etc., and felt it shot better than any other shotgun I had tried, but the shell under the lifter thing I could never figure out. If (when) it happens the gun is useless. Have to disassemble to get shell out. Plus it's a little 2 3/4.

You can do it, but there is a reason you won't see anybody who wins or does well use one. I imagine perfect loading technique could make it work. Seen them used in open division, too.

If I had a buddy in your position I would just urge him to borrow my shotgun for matches.  Myself personally I wouldn't dump too much money into an 1100 for an infrequent 3-gun match.

They work great for what they intended for but not an ideal platform for practical shotgun.

What would you "spend a couple hundred bucks" on?

One of the DMW lifters and an extended tube is all you would really need to get it decently set up for a local match. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/786587/daves-metal-works-easyloader-extended-carrier-release-bar-remington-1100-11-87-12-gauge-steel-silver

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2171316923/choate-magazine-tube-extension-with-sling-swivel-base-clamp-remington-870-1100-11-87-12-gauge-blue

That's a little bit under a hundred bucks and some elbow grease.  You can practice reloading with it at home.  I don't think your friend would lend you his so you can practice your reloads at home.

This is for a gun for 2-3 matches a year.  If you are thinking about getting serious... I'd skip it and get something else. 

I ran 1100's years several years ago.  I currently still have three of them.   I didn't find them to be durable enough for 3 gun.  A friend of mine would bring two of them whenever he went to a major match. 

On 12/12/2017 at 9:41 PM, Religious Shooter said:

What would you "spend a couple hundred bucks" on?

One of the DMW lifters and an extended tube is all you would really need to get it decently set up for a local match. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/786587/daves-metal-works-easyloader-extended-carrier-release-bar-remington-1100-11-87-12-gauge-steel-silver

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2171316923/choate-magazine-tube-extension-with-sling-swivel-base-clamp-remington-870-1100-11-87-12-gauge-blue

That's a little bit under a hundred bucks and some elbow grease.  You can practice reloading with it at home.  I don't think your friend would lend you his so you can practice your reloads at home.

This is for a gun for 2-3 matches a year.  If you are thinking about getting serious... I'd skip it and get something else. 

I ran 1100's years several years ago.  I currently still have three of them.   I didn't find them to be durable enough for 3 gun.  A friend of mine would bring two of them whenever he went to a major match. 

Did this my first 2 years in local 3gun .  Never had any problems till I figured out  I was out running the action. Now I use a 1301. Remey still used by another shooter.  

• 3 months later...

I'm rather new to the sport as well...but I would run what you already have.  If you decide you want to get more serious...you can always be putting back some cash to upgrade in the future.  Occasionally there are really good deals out there on some used M2s.  Best of luck.